:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Attached Storage  (Read 1468 times)

rsmith2786

• Certified OG
Network Attached Storage
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »

I have several computers on my network.  My main desktop, HTPC, laptop, roommates laptop, and we both have work laptops which are connected from time to time.  I wasn't really satisfied with setting up a home network within Windows for transfering files.  It just wasn't smooth or fast.  I decided to set up a machine to just sit on the network and host files.  It's main job is to host media so it can be watched from any computer.  Since it's on 24-7 power consumption was a bit of a concern too.

I started doing some research and settled on building a NAS machine running FreeNAS.  FreeNAS is super simple and you can boot it from a USB stick.  You interface with the machine purely through your browser.  It's pretty sweet.  I picked up an Intel Atom D510MO board with two 1TB drives.  I just got it up and running and it seems to be flawless.  I'm really impressed.  Currently set-up in RAID 1 for redundancy and i'm not terribly concerned about the write time.

The machine is basically silent.  There isn't a single fan on the mainboard...not even for the processor.  Actually the only fan in the case is for the power supply which is almost silent.  The only thing i can hear are the drives which are reasonable.

This was my first time using a linux based system so i'm pretty proud of myself right now.  It was pretty simple though.  Getting to the point...anyone else running a NAS device?  What is it / how do you like it?  Right now i'm getting 12mb/s transferring a 128gb file over the network.  The new machine is faster but i think my router and main machine are only 100mb/s LAN.

Oh yeah, the whole thing was under $300 including everything.  Atom, ram, case, drives...

turbostd

• Certified OG
Re: Network Attached Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

I have a free nas box i built a few years ago out of an old pc. Freenas is bsd based not linux based btw. Same thing though really. My nas is an old p3 667 intel mobo in a mid tower case. it has 2 soft-raid arrays of 2x160gb ide drives and the os is on a old 550mb lappy drive. I use the box mainly for storing my uhh "adult" files  :yes: I need to delete some or put in bigger drives because both arrays are pretty full  :?: I get about the same speed as you maybe a little less then 11mb/s

I also have a cisco/linksys stand alone nas200 with 2x320gb drives in it and it is so fucking slow its not funny. I get like 2.5mb/s writes and maybe 3mb/sec reads to it. I am planning on building an attom powered nas like yours that i plan on sticking the 2x320s and 2x2tbs in once i get some funds saved up.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »

I have a media server running Win Server 2008 R2 with all WD green drives and a 45W processor, it's awesome  :noel:

Just under 10 TB of storage, almost full.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

n2o_2k

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »

Time for me to do a refresh too. I have been running slackware on a old pc for years now... Besides  FreeNAS, I have been contemplating the idea of using a sheevaplug with extenal HD.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:01:53 PM »

i have about 50 120-250gb 2.5" laptop drives full if crap all nigger rigged together
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me
Pages: [1]   Go Up