:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Info on universal Generator Drive units?  (Read 6935 times)

AbaZ

• Out of retirement
  • Administrator
    • R-HMT
Info on universal Generator Drive units?
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:43:24 AM »

Shit, I dont even know if thats what you would call it? So here's an idea I am thinking about trying. I have a vacation home in eastern wa. However to get power out there It's going to cost me a shit ton, and I highly doubt we will be using it that much so I need to come up with a cheap alternative to power my single wide. I was thinking about getting a d15 and making it all self contained and burying it in the ground so it will be nice and quite, and attach some kind of generator drive unit to it, so it could power everything. However I don't even know what to search for or what its even called? A few years ago I saw one in a large 65ft houseboat we were on. It was attached to a Mitsubishi 2.4l engine. I dont want to go buy some cheap ass ching chong chow generator that is loud as fuck, or buy some fancy ass one. I want to make my own.

which brings my next question. A d15 idling for 3 days, how much gas would that probably burn?

Rick P is like the borg. He comes in and sucks the life out of good web pages. - Anonymous

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
Re: Info on universal Generator Drive units?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »

why idle it at all?

It won't be idling if generating power. As for keeping the D15 cool, use the heat wasted to make hot water for showers or a parts washer.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:03:29 AM »

wind turbine and a bunch of lead acid batteries
really, washington has pretty good wind speed
http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/wind-speed/
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

rsmith2786

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »

The cheapest, easiest, simplest way to do this is direct drive to a generator.  You basically have two options for 60 Hz.  A 2 pole setup at 3600rpm or a 4 pole setup at 1800 rpm.  1800 might be the best bet for noise and economy.  Finding the actual generator should be easy.  The somewhat more difficult part is rigging up some sort of control system (mechanical or electrical) that can maintain the engine at relatively constant speed with varying load.  I'd get a simple PID controller and play around a bit.  Not easy without a little controls background though.

Hotrodlincoln

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »

You could also store some power in batteries and shut the d15 off at night when you use the least amount of powere
kill yourself piss face

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

How much power do you need?

If you have some electrical experience, this wouldn't be hard to install yourself:

http://sunelec.com/index.php?main_page=off_grid_systems

Almost everything you need in the kit.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »

The cheapest, easiest, simplest way to do this is direct drive to a generator.  You basically have two options for 60 Hz.  A 2 pole setup at 3600rpm or a 4 pole setup at 1800 rpm.  1800 might be the best bet for noise and economy.  Finding the actual generator should be easy.  The somewhat more difficult part is rigging up some sort of control system (mechanical or electrical) that can maintain the engine at relatively constant speed with varying load.  I'd get a simple PID controller and play around a bit.  Not easy without a little controls background though.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »

idling is the most inefficient speed for a gas an engine

of the top of my head i'd bet it would use a lot of gas.

generators are expensive though
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 06:07:12 PM »

go straight up wood gassification.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »

If you have some electrical experience, this wouldn't be hard to install yourself:

If I was building a house I would def look into some of these and also geothermal. If I lived close to a river I would setup a paddle wheel to make energy also.

jabberwock

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »

In India communities throw waste into wide, short silo things.  The gas produced is piped to homes for use as natural gas.  Shit in a bucket, cook with the fumes, profit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:29:38 PM by jabberwock »

B16CRXT

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

Look into Geothermal energy O0

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

get an old VW diesel.

Using the engine heat in an exchanger to make hot water would be goddamn bananas.  do this

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 08:52:12 PM »

solar panels and a shit ton of batteries. 
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »

go straight up wood gassification.

PRODUCER GAS

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »

Honestly, a large bank of lead-acid batteries, and the usual AC-DC conversion stuff will do it.  You can manually re-wrap Ford alternators for low speed operation and use them as both wind and water turbines.  One of the hippies the next county over has a couple sealed in 5 gallon buckets for waterproofing, uses the impeller from an old Subaru torque converter, and runs his creek water through it.  Combine that with solar heated water and maybe a propane refrigerator if you're worried about lack of wind/drought/frozen creeks dimming your output.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 10:28:08 PM »

do you have any idea how cost prohibitive this would be for him?
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

bluerex

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »

get an old VW diesel.

Using the engine heat in an exchanger to make hot water would be goddamn bananas.  do this
  +1
exactly how i'd power a grow op in nigger city

B16CRXT

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

you realize it pays for itself pretty damn quickly....

rsmith2786

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »

you realize it wouldn't?

High initial investment for something that is only going to be used a few times a month.  I don't see the payback period being very reasonable on that.

Oh and I'm really liking the cruise control idea.  I can't believe i didn't think of that.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »

Not in a vacation home. Not even in a regular home, takes quite a while.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

bigwig

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »

Don't mess with solar power unless you're interested in it.  It's not efficient at all.  If you want to run a fridge, you'll need to spend an assload of money on batteries.  If you really do the math and sit down to make a reliable system, it will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars.  It just comes down to sunlight only coming 4-6 hours a day, solar panels not being very efficient, and batteries being relatively expensive.

In the end, your best bet is solar hot water and a generator.  Solar hot water is as simple as getting a lot of flexible plastic tubing and putting it on your roof.  Run cold water through it and it will get hot in no time.  All can be done for a $200.

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »

i like the older diesel engine idea, running on ag diesel to be a little more cost effective. i couldn't see it using MUCH fuel being under not much load. Obviously something throttle cable driven would be the easiest for keeping a steady RPM range, put it under load, tighten down nut similar to what we have on our honda intake manifold throttle cable brackets. Possibly using some nigger rigged turbo setup to spin a hot-side and putting a pulley on the cold side instead of having the housing etc, and running another small generator setup off of that into battery's for backup/night time use.

Of course, now that i re-read everything i just wrote, that seems like a clusterfuck and a horrible idea.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 01:35:09 AM »

you realize you're talking to an IGSHPA accredited geoexchange designer/driller/installer? there's no fucking way on god's green earth you're going to get a big enough loop field or holes drilled for less than a conventional system that's used a few times a month.

if you work the system into your mortgage, it's cheaper over the long run, but when you're talking about a single wide on a couple acres, it's ridiculous.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

AbaZ

• Out of retirement
  • Administrator
    • R-HMT
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »

Man you guys suck balls  :'(

This is exactly what I am talking about. Where can I find something like this? Any info?!

Solar panels, windmills and a shit ton of batteries is way out. I am going to be running a fridge, forced air with AC my big TV, stereo, lots of lights. This houseboat we were on a few years back ran all this shit and the generator was super quiet, it was running on a gas Mitsu 2.4 engine w/ a carb with some kind of direct drive generator on it. I want to do something like this but maybe with a honda engine. I could easily get a honda engine running on a stand for less then a hundred bucks. Running 1800rpms shouldnt burn through that much gas either.
Rick P is like the borg. He comes in and sucks the life out of good web pages. - Anonymous

boosted wagon

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »

You need to get a good estimate on the power you will require [in watts] and then you can look into a gen  unit to match. Most things your going to plug in will rate the watts used or amps and that can be converted to by going amps x volts . Start by figuring out what your power requirements are and we can go from there. 1000 watts equals 1kW. The controls like stated above is the harder part getting it mechanically running will be relatively simple for a HMT nog.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »

I'd use crome in a p06, 2-4 IACV's in parallel, the idle screw cracked all the way, and idle set to 1800rpm (or 3600rpm). That should flow enough to maintain that speed. If not, just add more IACV's (assuming the ecu can handle that). You might also find a pto controller for a gas engine, they are usually electronic boxes that let you pick your RPM.

A dohc zc with cam gears might be a better bet, since you can adjust cam timing to make lower speed more efficient. A an hx or vx head d15 would probably be good too. I'd just "tune" it to run a little lean. Not very "green" with all the NOx, but mroe gas-happy.

Another simple contraption is used on small Honda power equipment. I've not looked into how it works, but basicly it maintains max RPM with the same mechanical throttle input, regardless of load. It's just springs and levers working on the butterfly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:55:52 PM by HiProfile »
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »

Another simple contraption is used on small Honda power equipment. I've not looked into how it works, but basicly it maintains max RPM with the same mechanical throttle input, regardless of load. It's just springs and levers working on the butterfly.

Same as used on a riding mower, right? Maybe even make use of a larger (25+ hp) riding mower engine, that already has all that shit in place.
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »

I like the idea of using the engine to heat water.  I don't know if it'd put out enough heat, but pipe it around the room for some "free" heat too ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up