:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Turbine wheels, small wheel bigger housing bore  (Read 2651 times)

TTC

• Certified OG
Changing Turbine wheels, small wheel bigger housing bore
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »

So anyway, I got this housing and its bored for a stage 3 wheel.  That wheel is to big, if i use a smaller wheel in the larger bored housign how badly will it affect my spool? For instance A 54mm wheel in the 64mm stage3 bore.

I was thinking of machineing a peice of pipe to slide into the bore with lets say a 56mm ID to clear the new sized wheel and a 63.5MM OD to slip fit in.

What say you.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
Re: Changing Turbine wheels, small wheel bigger housing bore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:02:18 PM »

You have to understand what the turbine does - takes the energy in the gas (flow from pressure drop) and puts it into the wheel. If you put a nice cavity right next to it, the gasses will want to enter that area rather than push/spin the wheel.

Unless you contour that insert perfectly, it will create a nice restriction in flow, as it will create a lot of turbulance. That's in addition to the paragraph above, in the gap further into the turbine where it expands.

You need to do it the right way. Either get the right housing, or stick to a stg3 wheel. IMO just stick with a stg3 - its all of 3-400 rpm increase for a much more considerably bump in power.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »

That is pretty much the plan. Now its a matter of finding the quickest spooling t04e t04b that will make close to 300whp

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:48 AM »

That would probably be the turbo I have on my car right now. AiResearch (Garrett) t3/t04b s-trim, stg1/.48ar turbine. It flows a little more than a 60trim T3, but my 8/16 blade wheel will spool faster than a comprable 6/12 blade, and the extra-large exducer is good for higher boost.

Hopefully I can test that out later this month - finally got my master cylinder replaced.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

confUsed

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »

So a .48 ar stg1 exhaust side will support up to 300whp?

Would love to see a dyno if/when you have it :)

OP:
I'm running a stg1 .48 ar exhaust side, t04e 46trim cold side turbo, it spools 18 psi right before 4K in third on the street on a vitara/i-beam d16z6.
My english sucks

RHMT Norway
Pages: [1]   Go Up