:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you think? update.  (Read 4437 times)

shanerv

what do you think? update.
« on: September 23, 2010, 01:25:02 AM »

tyring to trouble shoot my gsr's oil buring issue motor was rebuilt 35k ago. dang thing has been using oil pretty good for almost a year now. I finaly tossed the old turbo out, things seals were shot! and just put in a freshly rebuilt by me holset h1c. still smokes and uses oil. it's pissin me off. it will start to smoke if it has ben idleing for more then say 5 mins without moving or under boost and when vtec kicks. thing looks like a chimney. compression is pretty good I think with 225 to 230 across the board cold. what do you guys think? oil control rings,valve seals(they were replaced with rebuild 35k ago),bad crank breathing? ideas? car runs pretty good and makes good power for a basemap.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 07:47:56 AM by shanerv »

DmC

• Certified OG
Re: what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:17 AM »

piston rings and or turbo seals pull the exhuast housing off and look.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »

what kinda oil line you got.  Also evap/catchcan setup? oil return? i mean it could be many many things
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

2slow

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »

yeah this is a pretty vague question

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »

and makes good power for a basemap.

My guess is somewhere in the map it's pig rich and washing down the cylinders. That alone will kill rings in short order.

Another thing that can make it smoke but give great compression is leaking valve seals. That will also lead to the next issue listed...

One more thing can be a pressurized crankcase. That will force oil backwards through the rings into the cylinders. Make sure your PCV valve isn't stuck open - eliminate it if you can. Vent the valve cover the best you can. If the valve seals are shot, less vacuum at the valve seals due to vtec or boost will pressurize the crankcase.

Lastly...you could have busted ringlands. And maybe an oil leak in that cylinder too. Oil in the combustion chaimber burns hotter, leads to detonation, breaks ringlands, and also bumps compression readings like you poured oil into the cylinder.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

shanerv

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »

piston rings and or turbo seals pull the exhuast housing off and look.
turbo seals looked good two weeks ago when I had the turbo off no oil on the fins and comp housing was dry.
what kinda oil line you got.  Also evap/catchcan setup? oil return? i mean it could be many many things
running a 4an oil line with .068 restrictor at the turbo. return line is not kinked has a good angle and is half inch in size
I am running a open vent off the valve cover with the ghetto water bottle catch can for it. the pcv box has just a hose coming in and venting to atmosphere. wire thing is there has been no smoke or oil that has ever came out of it. but the valve cover is pressurized and has vapor coming out of it.
and makes good power for a basemap.

My guess is somewhere in the map it's pig rich and washing down the cylinders. That alone will kill rings in short order.

Another thing that can make it smoke but give great compression is leaking valve seals. That will also lead to the next issue listed...

One more thing can be a pressurized crankcase. That will force oil backwards through the rings into the cylinders. Make sure your PCV valve isn't stuck open - eliminate it if you can. Vent the valve cover the best you can. If the valve seals are shot, less vacuum at the valve seals due to vtec or boost will pressurize the crankcase.

Lastly...you could have busted ringlands. And maybe an oil leak in that cylinder too. Oil in the combustion chaimber burns hotter, leads to detonation, breaks ringlands, and also bumps compression readings like you poured oil into the cylinder.
plugs are clean and it runs to good for a broken set of lands been there done that on a d16. also running dsm 450's and a stock fuel pump I don't think I am washing it out. the pcv box might be a good spot to check out could be plugged up.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:10:09 PM »

Take out pvc and vent to ground
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »

+1 keep all the positive crankcase vapors out of the motor
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:01:35 PM »

bettter put a filtter on that shit or your going to get shit in the oil..
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

i use home depot check valves

runsfromdacops

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »

i use home depot check valves

if it vents pressher out its going to suck air back in. you need a fillter
GFI co-founder
twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V
built 383. 875/860RW pump/meth @ 18psi
turbo gixxer1000 250rwhp on pump @7psi
turbo integra 601/370 pump/meth @24 psi

shanerv

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »

just checked with a buddy and we are gonna make a breather setup for it. you guys think that this is probably the problem? I had doubts about it being valve seals since it does not smoke on start up at all. and like I said it seems pretty tight. if I kill the motor and  watch the boost gauge it takes a good 5 to 10 secs to bleed off the vac in the motor.

shanerv

Re: what do you think? update.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »

well I think it's beat. I diid a comp test last night and it was in teh 200s warm. and then I added oil to the cylinders and it bumped to 270. rings are SHOT!! this sucks.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

Were the rings originally filed properly? Ring gap is very important on an NA engine with a turbo added.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

shanerv

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »

motor was built for na when I did it just a stock rebuild. the end gap was set to the factory specs. the rings did not require filiing
Pages: [1]   Go Up