:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Money costing car myths  (Read 4836 times)

ironcrx

Money costing car myths
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

I happened to come across this and it makes a lot of sense.  What do you guys think?

http://www.cracked.com/article_19704_6-car-myths-that-cost-you-money-every-year.html
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: Money costing car myths
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »

that all wasnt common knowledge to you?  ???
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:06 AM »

Oil change every 5 weeks, I go 6 weeks with Xmas/New Year days off.

Then again I'm averaging 80,000 miles a year, 50 gallons of gas a week.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »

Pretty much common sense stuff, but that was a pretty entertaining read.

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »

The captions in the pictures were the best part. Most vehicles driven on this this forum will consume all there oil long before 3000mi atleast all the 200k mi hondas
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »

The captions in the pictures were the best part. Most vehicles driven on this this forum will consume all there oil long before 3000mi atleast all the 200k mi hondas

Yeap  :noel:

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »

change my oil in my truck every 5000km I guess I am one of those people
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »

My cars usually don't last long enough to reach the oil change date  :P

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

blade8r

• Rhapsodic Sinner
  • insolant bastard
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:37:08 AM »

yea i can't do that for my car. whenever i find myself looking at my 1989 Mazda Miata, I have to add 1 qt of oil every 1k miles or so. it doesn't' even leak, it just eats it up internally.
even though i put 3 qts of oil in it i still see the black schlopy mess inside my dip stick and i can't help but change out the oil out of it every 3k miles regardless of condition.

if i drive 3k miles without putting anything in it. i end with a empty oil pan and see my oil gauge flick to 0psi when the oil pump catches air.

ironcrx

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:18 PM »

Ive always imagined frequent changes being better.  I understand most modern oils can last past 3k easily before breakdown, but what about all the shit thats in the oil?  Im talking about carbon, metal particles, etc.  The filter can only do so much till it needs changing, which requires emptying the oil anyways.
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »

Ive always imagined frequent changes being better.  I understand most modern oils can last past 3k easily before breakdown, but what about all the shit thats in the oil?  Im talking about carbon, metal particles, etc.  The filter can only do so much till it needs changing, which requires emptying the oil anyways

I am no oiloligist But this makes sense  :noel:
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 01:13:21 AM »

no one falls under the "normal" section.

Eight quarts and a filter every 7500-8000 miles for me in the accord, tranny fluid every third oil change
OG before the OG'#039#039s

ironcrx

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 02:08:57 AM »

Ive always imagined frequent changes being better.  I understand most modern oils can last past 3k easily before breakdown, but what about all the shit thats in the oil?  Im talking about carbon, metal particles, etc. The filter can only do so much till it needs changing, which requires emptying the oil anyways
"they" actually recommend replacing your filter every other oil change, but why not do it since you are already there.
Also you do not need to "empty" your oil to change your filter. not on most cars i've worked on anyway.

I had a huge discussion (argument) with a friend about changing oil every 3k miles.
there was no swaying him, he said if you don't change your oil every 3k miles then you are doing damage to your engine. I told him that most car makers do not recommend every 3k miles. so when I started to win the argument he said "well, we are talking about our cars, not some new bmw that needs synthetic" so I told him my 98 civic's owner manual stated 7.5k miles for the oil change and he didn't believe me. I had to take a pic and email him.

My 2007 Ford f150 has the filter just above and behind the front cross member. It would spew so much oil everywhere. 

I feel better doing it regularly.  Not to mention when emptying the old oil, I can sometimes feel the slightly thicker and grainy consistency of the oil vs new.  Thr oil might be jsut fine but the free loading shit with it isnt welcome.

Of course newer motors, older, technology, how they are driven, etc changes so much when it comes to what needs this or that. 

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:17 AM »

Who needs to change oil, I haven't changed the oil in my ranger since april/  2.3 FTMFW.
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

slappynuts

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »

Who needs to change oil, I haven't changed the oil in my ranger since april/  2.3 FTMFW.

My old ranger had 410,000 miles. Finally the clutch spring popped out again and I didnt feel like replacing the disk again. Wish I would have kept that thing,I could use it now.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

My dads work truck is a 93' F150 351W automatico. Bought the truck in 05' from a guy who hadn't changed the oil in the 2-3 years he owned it. We've carried on the tradition. Still runs, uses no oil, and has the same oil in it. Things a beast. The filter is the same color as the engine (dirt). Who knows how old that shit is.

I rebuilt the engine in my miata in 10', drove it for a year and a half on the break in oil/ 10k miles, autocrossed it 5-6 times. Car is at my dad's house now, and he's driving it occasionally. He changed the oil in it, but not the filter about 2 weeks ago. I told him not to worry about it, he thought it should be changed though.  ???
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »

April 2005?
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

you know whats awesome, getting a motor with oil in it already  :Jew: i got a Y7 with oil in it, like .5qt too much even. just swapped on a Honda filter and threw the motor in the car...

they say that oil filter change every other time thing at work all the time (honda). we do every car with a new oil filter every time.
and like someone else said with all the shit floating around in there, i would almost wanna change the filter twice as often as the oil??
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »

I just realized my post was messed up,  I haven't changed my oil since April/May of 1999, yes you read that Correctly.
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

I just realized my post was messed up,  I haven't changed my oil since April/May of 1999, yes you read that Correctly.

guess i underestimated you, or just forgot and tried to guess...
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq
Pages: [1]   Go Up