:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for car living?  (Read 5042 times)

rawr

• Certified OG
Tips for car living?
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »

Im in lubeville, KY selling hail damage roofs on some training bullshit shit.

Long story short they pay for a week of lodging but I'm a subcontractor so I have to take care of my own shit after this. I've sunk enough money into this job (laptop, telescoping ladder, other shit) and I fucking refuse to rack up a bill with the company for me living down here. Hopefully I actually make some money so I don't have to do the shit for long, but I'm only making 500 a week at the moment and it goes to pure commission after the first 2 weeks. I'm sitting on some cash but I don't want to blow it all of this homo job doesn't pan out.

So have any of you niggers done this shit before?  I've got a shower set up since my gym has some locations down here but I have no idea how the cops are going to be. Planning on staying around hotel lots where I can jack Wifi maybe only sleep a little :shrug:.

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

jabberwock

Re: Tips for car living?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »

I did it for a week Christmas break freshman year of college..

That's exactly what I did, I found a big movie theater parking lot next to a hotel and used wifi.  It was also across the street from McDonalds.  Worked out alright except for being 10* but I had a lot of blankets and shit.  Cheapie cheapie inverter = endless lulz!

JaredKaragen

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

HINT:  hospital parking lot.  nobody will say shit.   park in the emergency parking lot.

second:  GYM; truck stops...  lots of places to shower (beach if your near one).

it can be done...

I had to live out of my car for 6-8Mo once... some couch surfing;  some sleeping at work (after clockout after hours)...  some in the car.

lots of deodorant/cologne.

for cooking;  find an old "fill it yourself" bunson... the kind you fill the bottle, and pump yourself for pressure... u can burn pretty much anything in that.  coleman white gas preferred for temp and efficiency.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

not broke enough that I have to worry about food, but I've got rent and bills in ohio still and cant double up on that shit.

ironcrx

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »

Cheap lounging floatie plus a bike pump to use for your bed in the car :p
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »

Should have went North, and got into oil. They would be paying for you to live in a hotel, and would be making $500+ a day instead of a week.

But if there is a holiday inn express close by, hit that up for breakfast. No one will ask, I stay at them all the time, and often go out the back door and start the truck in the morning, and come in the front strait to breakfast, never been asked.

Walmart won't kick you out of there lot, just park near the back with the RV's. Truck stops are other good options. I have never done this on purpose, but I have come into small places without a reservation only to have the whole town booked up on a tournament and was too late to go on to the next one.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »

Applied for a lot of oil shit. These guys say they make a lot but I think they're blowing smoke up my ass.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »

Applied for a lot of oil shit. These guys say they make a lot but I think they're blowing smoke up my ass.

There is a generation gap between 20 somethings and 50something and older.,

They are looking for 30something who have leadership and common sense.

In my area there is more work than people to fill those job opening in energy.  :noel:

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »

We've already established on this forum that I am a pasty white 45 year old overweight man with ample middle management skills.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Should have went North, and got into oil. They would be paying for you to live in a hotel, and would be making $500+ a day instead of a week.

But if there is a holiday inn express close by, hit that up for breakfast. No one will ask, I stay at them all the time, and often go out the back door and start the truck in the morning, and come in the front strait to breakfast, never been asked.

Walmart won't kick you out of there lot, just park near the back with the RV's. Truck stops are other good options. I have never done this on purpose, but I have come into small places without a reservation only to have the whole town booked up on a tournament and was too late to go on to the next one.

I work in this industry, and $500 a day is about right.... i used to live in hotels, but now i have a place down by where i live, but that dosent stop me from going in to a hotel once in a while for breakfast, groups of us do it a lot.

Starting out, you probably won't make a ton, i think I made around 45-50k my first year, but it only goes up from there. I would make over 6 figures this year, if i wasn't on disability since the beginning of the year.

There is a generation gap between 20 somethings and 50something and older.,

They are looking for 30something who have leadership and common sense.

In my area there is more work than people to fill those job opening in energy.  :noel:

thats not entirely true, my company has people of all ages, as long as you put effort forth, use your fucking head, and do what your are told, you would do fine. the youngest is 18 , and the oldest is in his 50s. I am 28 and have been there since i was 23.
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:23 AM »

...I work in this industry, and $500 a day is about right....

I work in this industry as well, hence the reason I quoted that. However I am a self employed consultant, not an employee. My pay scale is a little different, but have lots of friends that work for energy companies as employee's.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Jmunk

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »

Wal-Mart is cool with people stayin in their parking lots usually.

accordepicenter

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 05:22:44 PM »

When i worked on the road i used to room with guys i worked with, weather it was on their couch if they lived nearby or we would have like 3 guys in a hotel room and trade off, one guy would get the chair or floor for the night and rotate etc.  When its nice out sometimes we camped out plus a few guys working wayyy far from home had travel trailers.  Imo travel trailers work out the best.  Cooking over a campfire or a small burner or grill works pretty good. I had one of the big coolers that I would put ice in every other day and it kept my milk/cheese/hotdogs/lunch stuff and beer cold.  It works out pretty good. Most campsites had a toilet and shower and stuff.  If I needed to use my computer or somthing I used a small inverter on the laptop out of the car to watch a movie etc... If you buy a decent tent and just tent camp its prolly the cheapest and most fun way to go.  The only thing is that youll have to find a laundromat, which is no biggie.

Btw I was often 300-400 miles away and id come home on weekends somtimes, but then id come back sunday night/mon morning early and sleep in the TL.  Did that many many nights.  One job I was on for months and months and we just got an apartment month to month...  That place was the animal house.  I did actually get a small room that they let me live out of for 80 a week above a bar an restaurant in a really small ass town but I def spent some cash down at the bar every night.  That place was awesome... 

Edit: I remember a couple guys that lived solely out of the vehicles, the one guy was some asshole crane operator that had an air mattress and a truck cap on the back of his chevy pickup and he would dive off the boat launch to clean up, and the other was a guy who had an old child molester chevy van, and he would take showers down at the ymca...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:31:14 PM by accordepicenter »

JaredKaragen

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »

as a rule of thumb in cali;

you can park anywhere thats legal to park for 3 days without being hassled.  if you get a "move-it or get towed" sticker;  that's your 3 day warning.

if you park somewhere without a posted sign saying unauthorized vehicles will be towed and a tow company number/name/address.... they cant legally tow you off the property at ALL PERIOD.  Its law that a property must have a special permit and a predetermined tow company for on-site tows.  This permit is obtainable from the city;  takes a week or two to process, and requires the signage that an officer will come out and verify placement before permit is issued.

Hell;  you can stop paying rent;  and squat...   and theres very little a property owner can do to physically move you out.  I know of a guy that got raped for 3 years trying to get a guy out.... in and out of court etc..  his final solution was to come start knocking down walls of the house until they left.  Luckily the property's house was in shambles anyways and he planned to redevelop anyways.  They were super pissed he pulled down a wall at 8AM showing right into their living room... smashing a TV, etc.   Needless to say they tried taking him to court over the matter... they got the same judge and after hearing the plaintiff's story, he just laughed and dismissed the case.

jabberwock

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

calebs I thought you were whiter than this

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »

you car campers, what did you do for internet?

I'm thinking a wireless card or a FlyingJ account while on the move.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »

if you want to eat free then go to some fast food places and tell them some sob story, offer to wash their windows for a combo meal. if you get some lazy ass employee they will hook you up.
Also most hotels don't know if you are a guest or not, just show up for the continental breakfast.

if you are going to live out of your car then pick up a cheap camping stove and some bottles of propane. since you don't have a fridge don't make more food than you can eat at once.

Never had to do it, but I almost did like 8 years ago. I was gonna move to Joshua Tree and live out of my tent camping and rock climbing for a few months

You still havent killed yourself?

That is unfortunate
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 06:43:19 AM »

Rhmt, half the members won't shit outside their own toilet, the other half are cool living out of their car in a walmart parking lot.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »

looking for new employment opportunities 35k+ no sales jobs :mexi:

JaredKaragen

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

jailbroken iphone on sprint.

Tethered data.

Last 5 months I have used over 100Gb.

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »

jailbroken iphone on sprint.

Tethered data.

Last 5 months I have used over 100Gb.

Don't wanna be drink the apple kool-aid, damn it!!!

What is your monthly bill?

accordepicenter

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »

I used mickey D's or other places with free wifi (lots of coffee shops etc have it) or id wardrive on the neighbors unsecured router hehe.  I never had an Aircard but I wanted one but I quit working on the road about 4 years ago and dont regret it...  Seems the performance depends on the carrier and the area/reception from what ive heard

NoPistons!

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »

My brother was living out of his car for a minute (couldn't even swallow his pride and tell us he was having a rough time at first.  maybe because i was such a dick about him not paying rent and me busting my ass working like a dog to keep a roof over our heads.... I do feel some guilt).  Was staying out in the middle of nowhere and would park at fast food joints to get his internet fix.   Not sure if he washed the whole time he was gone but we did find a bar of soap in the water fountain in town when myself and my other brother went riding this week.  No doubt was his.  He doesn't give a fuck like that.    Took him back in.  He's workin 6 days a week now and sleeping on the couch which i dont mind providing he stops hanging out with shitty people who put him in the position he's in now....  Can only help those who wish to help themselves, you know?

Hopefully you dont have to do it for long.  I wish you the best.   You seem in pretty good spirits about it.   I have friends who are homeless by choice and love it.   They are free from the system the way they see it and enjoy the ride.  Every time they come through town they have the best stories i've ever heard before or since.

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »

Plenty of info on the web about car living, or a tiny trailer/tear drop setup.

IMHO a turbo diesel Sprinter high top would make a great place to live/work/haul stuff around. If you keep them under 70 mph they will get 22 mpg even when loaded with 4000 lbs.

Myself, I'm looking for a portable transmission workshop + sleeping quarters, but a Sprinter, even used isn't cheap. It could still haul a trailer with car if needed.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »

turbo diesel gmc box van would be pretty tits too. Plenty of room for a sleeping quarters/living space/small office and you could pull around a decent sized trailer.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

Walmart will let you park overnight for free.  Camping stove with propane will save you monies cooking for yourself rather than eating out.  Might find a nice farmer on the outskirts of town to let you park on his land for more space, quiet, privacy.  Starbucks and mcdonalds both have free wifi, most other cafes too.  If theres us forest service land, you can car camp in one place legally for 14days, +/- 20 if you get out off of the high use roads where people will notice you, because it will be 14 days from when an employee actually sees you camping there

jabberwock

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »

If you really want to rough it make an alcohol jet stove out of beer cans.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

if you want to eat free then go to some fast food places and tell them some sob story, offer to wash their windows for a combo meal. if you get some lazy ass employee they will hook you up.
Also most hotels don't know if you are a guest or not, just show up for the continental breakfast.

if you are going to live out of your car then pick up a cheap camping stove and some bottles of propane. since you don't have a fridge don't make more food than you can eat at once.

Never had to do it, but I almost did like 8 years ago. I was gonna move to Joshua Tree and live out of my tent camping and rock climbing for a few months

You still havent killed yourself?

That is unfortunate
and you are still a fat fuck, good to see you fail fat ass.

I have a verizon air card for work and it's ok, I would rather just pull up to a starbucks and use theirs. There is free wifi all over the place if you look for it

Fail... Uh huh. Yup thats it...

Tell you what queerbait.

Not so fat, but youre still a failurenigger. That wont ever change.  You know what my first clue was youre a fucking moron? Havving a fucking kid with some stripper cunt. Its all been a very predicctible and and hideous decline from there for you... Everyone can see it BUT you, and your incessant ranting trying to bait people into telling you what yuoure doing is good and awesome is fucking sad. The ONLY thing you have going for you is that youre capable of giving a shit about your kid. Thats it.  Theres a lot more to life than dollar store logic ands crying about how many hours you work.

Like anyone gives a fuck how much you work. You lazy faggot.  SHut the fuck up and do work likew the restr of us... If youre here for an atta boy go fuck yourself.

OH, lest I for get.

FUCK YOU.

Tell you what pink pad.....I have money says by the end of the summer I weigh what you do and am in 2 x better shape fucking 10 x hotter chicks and STILL knowing better than to leave my dick in a stripper cunt expecting anything less than a trap.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »

before i got my GF pregnant (and a little bit after) i was seriously considering getting a tight van or minibus anda trailer for my dog and motorcycle and just leaving my state just to see if i could restart somewhere else, maybe somewhere a little less snow, i get sick of living the american dream sometimes, by that i mean a 9-5 job and bills and a mortgage, i found some interesting web sites on van living and rv living, google that shit. from what i read walmart is not cool with cars staying overnight but i can tell you from personal expierence i was camped out at a hospital for almost a week last month and no one gave a fuck (was there while my gf was having baby)

xpert787

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »

http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/

Read through this website, the guy has lived out of his car for a year by choice, has alot of good info.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up