:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need ideas and opinions for LeMons 24 Hr car  (Read 2853 times)

DSMR

• RHMT
Need ideas and opinions for LeMons 24 Hr car
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »

So I have been looking at this race series and think it would be fun. Build a $500 shit bucket and race the fuck out of it. Here is what I am thinking:

Dodge Colt (Cost me $30 as the PO needed to get it off his property that day)

XJ6 rear end (Cost me $100 with all the bits to get it to work)

What I need is some opinions on powertrain. I have a few thought in mind but wanted to see what you jew niggers thought. BTW, not only am I looking at converting this to RWD, but I also want it to be mid engine. So what I am looking at is for it to fit my budget (already would be $130 in the hole), it has to fit physically in the car, and has to be reliable. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Phate

Re: Need ideas and opinions for LeMons 24 Hr car
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »

Going for the index of effluency prize with that one?  I have no idea where you are going to find an engine/transmission combo to mate up with that jag rear end and still fit in the back of a colt.  Originally I was going to say just get a front wheel drive engine/transaxle and weld the diff, then into the jag rear end, but you'd then have stupidly low gears.  If I was going to make it mid engined, I'd likely just try to weld a front subframe from another front wheel drive car into the back.  Look up the Geo MetSHO for what I mean.

I'm looking to do this in a year or two.  I'm thinking 1st generation honda odyssey with lowered suspension, full skirting, and a large ducted fan in the spare tire well powered by a lawnmower engine.  Either that or a 4th generation accord wagon with the engine bay from another one welded into the rear cargo area.  First option is probably extremely dangerous and ill advised, also a minivan.  Second option is even more ill advised, but it probably would have some advantages (blow one engine/trans?  put it in neutral and run the other)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:16:33 AM by Phate »
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:46:25 AM »

Look into the HART Oddity/Oddsessy minivan.

STUPID fast Minivan is all I have to say.
OG before the OG'#039#039s

krazy4

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »

I dont wanna be a dick, but do you really think you're gonna convert that thing to rwd? Do you have the skills for that?

Just get the car running properly with the stock motor or some easily and cheaply swapped motor.
Reliabilty is key and easy accessable parts are nice. Custom one off parts are definitely not the way to go.

Granted I've never raced in the 24hrs lemons just thinking what would be the best. Just go into the race knowing you won't win and have fun.
94 EG sedan - H23A w/ GSR trans - S366 turbo

Phate

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »

I dont wanna be a dick, but do you really think you're gonna convert that thing to rwd? Do you have the skills for that?

Just get the car running properly with the stock motor or some easily and cheaply swapped motor.
Reliabilty is key and easy accessable parts are nice. Custom one off parts are definitely not the way to go.

Granted I've never raced in the 24hrs lemons just thinking what would be the best. Just go into the race knowing you won't win and have fun.

Part of the fun of lemons is that it encourages bad ideas.  For example:
Radial Engined MR2

Bike Engined Geo Metro (later converted to mid engine, rear wheel drive with bike engine)

SHO powered mid engined geo metro (MetSHO)

Even a 60's T-bird with a BMW V12 running off a couple carburetors and GM 6 cylinder distributors

DSMR

• RHMT
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »

Your doubt about making this work makes me think this is going to be a great idea. Phates comment sums up LeMons.

So I have been thinking about some powertrain combo's:

1. Single Cam KA
2. Dodge Slant 6 (I get 0 BS laps for using this engine)
3. Buick/Chevy V6

What do you guys think?

Phate

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »

Your doubt about making this work makes me think this is going to be a great idea. Phates comment sums up LeMons.

So I have been thinking about some powertrain combo's:

1. Single Cam KA
2. Dodge Slant 6 (I get 0 BS laps for using this engine)
3. Buick/Chevy V6

What do you guys think?

If you are ditching the mid-engine layout, that offers a lot of options.  I'd say go for the KA since it sounds like its the lightest option.

krazy4

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »

Part of the fun of lemons is that it encourages bad ideas.  For example:

Even a 60's T-bird with a BMW V12 running off a couple carburetors and GM 6 cylinder distributors

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the kind of shit people come up with at lemons, and that thunderbird is badass. Is there a build thread on that car?

Just the fact that everyone thinks they can build something like that. It's just not possible.

DSMR if you can actually complete this project more power to you and I'll be right there cheering you on.
I'd go with the KA, strong motors.
94 EG sedan - H23A w/ GSR trans - S366 turbo

stealthiskey

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »

I thought for Lemons it was like a $400 budget cap, and if the judges think your car is worth more than that they can take it and crush it right in front of you.

Phate

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 01:27:20 AM »

I thought for Lemons it was like a $400 budget cap, and if the judges think your car is worth more than that they can take it and crush it right in front of you.

$500 budget, not including safety gear (or wheels/tires/brakes/shocks)
Exemptions have been, and are made for especially bad ideas the judges like.
Judges can claim the car for $500.
If they think you went over budget, they will assign you penalty laps
Bribing the judges (highly encouraged) will get you less laps
people vote on the "people's curse" car to be crushed in front of you (although they generally just fuck it up a whole bunch, cars have gone back and raced the next day).

DSMR

• RHMT
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 04:05:46 AM »

If you are ditching the mid-engine layout, that offers a lot of options.  I'd say go for the KA since it sounds like its the lightest option.

Well, I have not ditched the Mid engine idea just yet. I have been thinking of maybe offsetting the engine to the passenger side. I can still corner balance the car out (no real numbers just thoughts at this point). I really like the idea of the KA and need to do some research on them. I need to pick this engine/tranny up really cheap to stay within my budget. I would also need the wiring harness, ECU, and other FI bits if I don't want to go carb. All of this would have to be in the <= $200 range so I can budget other things like tubing and nickel and dime items that will fuck me on the back stretch.

Food for thought: If I go with the Dodge slant 6, I could get away with a home brew turbo setup as I would not get any BS laps. This might fall into the law of diminishing returns because of the weight and inefficiency of the older engine but it would be interesting  :Jew:

I guess at this point I am into research phase of the KA vs. Slant 6

If anyone has any good tech on the KA (single cam for budgets sake), or know where I can get one on the extra cheap, let me know.

Thanks again for helping me brainstorm this out. I am always up for suggestions if anyone thinks of anything else. 

Phate

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »

Well, I have not ditched the Mid engine idea just yet. I have been thinking of maybe offsetting the engine to the passenger side. I can still corner balance the car out (no real numbers just thoughts at this point). I really like the idea of the KA and need to do some research on them. I need to pick this engine/tranny up really cheap to stay within my budget. I would also need the wiring harness, ECU, and other FI bits if I don't want to go carb. All of this would have to be in the <= $200 range so I can budget other things like tubing and nickel and dime items that will fuck me on the back stretch.

Food for thought: If I go with the Dodge slant 6, I could get away with a home brew turbo setup as I would not get any BS laps. This might fall into the law of diminishing returns because of the weight and inefficiency of the older engine but it would be interesting  :Jew:

I guess at this point I am into research phase of the KA vs. Slant 6

If anyone has any good tech on the KA (single cam for budgets sake), or know where I can get one on the extra cheap, let me know.

Thanks again for helping me brainstorm this out. I am always up for suggestions if anyone thinks of anything else. 

Putting it in the passenger seat was all I was able to come up with.  U-joints can sit at an angle without hurting anything.  I'd still go single cam KA.  Find a u pull junkyard, and buy it on $100 engine day.  Sell off unneeded parts of old engine, new engine, car itself.  The car is enough of an awful idea they will probably give you very few BS laps.

Can't wait until I can get in on lemons.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 03:05:55 AM »

I own a 88 supra that was being converted to a lemons car, and I helped them build it before I bought it from them. I'm at least familiar with the rules and hav heard a few funny stories.

I would build something ridiculous for sure, but pick a motor that's knows to be bullet proof and cheap as fuck to buy parts for. The guys with the supra gave up, because although they are bullet-proof reliable cars, they're expensive as fuck to work on. just gaskets and shit it needed were going to be a few hundred dollars...

I picture a turbo volvo engine with 300k miles in the lightest body imaginable.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Phate

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

I own a 88 supra that was being converted to a lemons car, and I helped them build it before I bought it from them. I'm at least familiar with the rules and hav heard a few funny stories.

I would build something ridiculous for sure, but pick a motor that's knows to be bullet proof and cheap as fuck to buy parts for. The guys with the supra gave up, because although they are bullet-proof reliable cars, they're expensive as fuck to work on. just gaskets and shit it needed were going to be a few hundred dollars...

I picture a turbo volvo engine with 300k miles in the lightest body imaginable.

Totally forgot about the redblock.  DSMR, go find a 940 turbo in the junkyard and yank the engine and trans.

superdaveosbourne

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »

If you decide on going the ka-t route, lots of info here:

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/index.php

Like any forum, you have to sift through some bullshit, but the info is there.

DSMR

• RHMT
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 12:19:48 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions! Back in the day I had a B230FT (Bosch Jetronic). Mine died at 280k because of the screw I put in the wastegate. Ran like that for some time too! If I could find a turbo sweed power plant in the JY for cheap, I'm all over it.

I will check out that website too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up