:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning how-to?  (Read 4507 times)

Jorsher

• Certified OG
Tuning how-to?
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:09 AM »

I am planning on tuning the LS-VTEC on my own once it's in the car, and am curious if there are any good links to tuning instructions/routines.  I read one a while back but have lost the link and google turns up a shitton of useless links.  I'd like to attempt tuning the car NA, and if it turns out well and I'm feeling confident, hopefully tune it boosted as well.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
Re: Tuning how-to?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:00:46 AM »

if you are half ass compitent, you should be able to not blow up a mild turbo build tuning on your own.  as far as links, i hate to say it, but xeno's website is a decent place to start

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

BoostForLife

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »

xenofagget had a decent one for crome

MantisX

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »

Yep, its the one I used.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »

Meh, that's actually the one I was referring to.

Is crome still the obd1 software of choice?

MantisX

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »

Ectune is what you want if you have $199 to spare. I just started using mine yesterday and I am love stricken.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:49:52 PM »

Ectune is what you want if you have $199 to spare. I just started using mine yesterday and I am love stricken.

but 200 bucks lighter in the wallet

crome/freelog for the cheap ass, broke as a joke, win

BoostForLife

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »

my freelog doesn't work right for o2 logging which sucks. So I use logworks as a fuel gauge and screen recording program to datalog. Probably the most ghetto way to datalog, but it works.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »

my freelog doesn't work right for o2 logging which sucks. So I use logworks as a fuel gauge and screen recording program to datalog. Probably the most ghetto way to datalog, but it works.

whats the matter with the 02??  you do have to hook up your wideband's narrowband out put to the stock ecu and don't forget to ground on the tstat

BoostForLife

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:05 PM »

Yah I know, it works perfect when my previous tuner used my wideband the way it's hooked up into the car with crome pro. It does that in my and my brothers cars. Im thinking it's either the datalogging cable or the ecu itself. (We been using the same ecu to tune both cars, I need to put the datalogging header onto my ecu and see if it works better)

MantisX

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »

Ectunes datalogging worked the first time I connected and has worked ever since. It also has the option of disabling ecu timing adjustments in boost which I believe crome doesnt do. It also has a whole bunch of useful features even crome pro doesnt have. But yeah if you cant afford it, crome/freelog works well.

BoostForLife

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

I think that my datalogging cable might be at fault. Every 5 minutes i get an error in freelog requiring me to press ok, in order to continue datalogging. Fucking hate it.

hatchbox90

• Certified OG
    • Dream Builders Homes
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »

From a tuners perspective, I dont tune off of the horsepower curves. The physical relevance towards the engine performance is arbitrary, since the torque is truely what is effected by the fuel, timing, breathing, etc of the engine. The horsepwer is merely a concocted unit of measure, showing no true characteristics of the engine power output. A good tuner will only make changes from the torque curves, see what increase/decrease the curves show from the changes. So next time you are thinking horsepower, think “what would I want my torque curve to be”?

taken off evans -tuning

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »

ectune is nice due to the fact that all the port com b/s would be behind you but crome would be best for a newb IMO
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »

There's something screwed up in freelogs o2 logging code that makes it impossible to get perfect. The best way to get it close enough to use it this.

I hope you have an ostrich swith O2 display to volts in freelog  and make the car lean as you can.  write down the voltage and the O2 reading from your widebands display.

Do the same for rich. And there you have it thats your slope switch to wideband table and enter those numbers in. Should work fine. the wierd thing is you have to do that with every car. I used freelog for about two years atleast one time a week so I know my way through it If someone has a way they think is better their wrong.

Freelog is harder to use then cromepro datalogging but I think it's easier to look through your log carefully with and it has way more options.  theirs some things like o2 ect and iat relation that really help get things tuned in right.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:44:54 AM by DmC »

BoostForLife

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »

DmC,
read that somewhere else before but haven't tried it. I'll definetely try it when tuning my car for a different map sensor and more boost. Thanks.

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 02:13:33 PM »

DmC,
read that somewhere else before but haven't tried it. I'll definetely try it when tuning my car for a different map sensor and more boost. Thanks.
Yeah I posted it in the freelog forum awhile back. You need to go ahead and do it even for tuning an na car you'll be amazed how smooth a car will run with really consistant afr's

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »

you should also browse the forum.pgmfi.com thread there is endless usefull info there
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

BoostForLife

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »

Yeah, I sometimes go on there when need to look something up.

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »

yeah pgmfi is FM.

bikewrench

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 01:04:55 PM »

The "progress of another noob" thread on pgmfi is a good one, if you are starting from scratch.
i am all about doing shit myself, saving money, and most of the time i actually enjoy working on the car as much as driving it.

BoostForLife

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »

The "progress of another noob" thread on pgmfi is a good one, if you are starting from scratch.
Post links, noob.

bikewrench

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 03:11:26 PM »

http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12477

Its a sticky in the newbie forum, not hard to find.

btw, been here since 05, noob
i am all about doing shit myself, saving money, and most of the time i actually enjoy working on the car as much as driving it.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 03:33:11 PM »

From a tuners perspective, I dont tune off of the horsepower curves. The physical relevance towards the engine performance is arbitrary, since the torque is truely what is effected by the fuel, timing, breathing, etc of the engine. The horsepwer is merely a concocted unit of measure, showing no true characteristics of the engine power output. A good tuner will only make changes from the torque curves, see what increase/decrease the curves show from the changes. So next time you are thinking horsepower, think “what would I want my torque curve to be”?

taken off evans -tuning

That's great, but seeing as how horsepower and torque are a function of each other then you've just quoted a self-canceling logical structure.

If the concept that's being poorly related here is to (for the most part) ignore peak power numbers, uhm, yes I agree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up