:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If your a serious gamer. Give this kickstarter money  (Read 2963 times)

Urban Indian

• Snow Mexican
  • Certified OG
If your a serious gamer. Give this kickstarter money
« on: July 31, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

"Let’s open this sucker up! It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let’s make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!"

"OUYA is a new game console for the TV, powered by Android"

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:27:49 PM by Urban Indian »
The clock doesn'#039#039t own me

Topless chick + dominos pizza + 750hp civic = epic win

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: If your a serious gamer. Give this kickstarter money
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

Kickstarter.com has a lot of 3-d router/printers on there.  :noel:

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »

So it's going to have outdated PC games playing on the tv? We just do that now with an HDMI cable and a PC. Wait, it does console games? Um, one of dozens of emulators will cover that. I highly doubt it will play WoW well (as a picture suggests), and definately not at full 1080p. Not if it costs less than the PS3 did at launch.

Maybe I should put my injector "idea" on kickstarter. Looks like free money...
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:07:22 AM »

why run it on android specifically? the android sdk is horrible.

why not just a linux box, with wine or whatever else, maybe something they make. to run PC games
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »

*you're

you fucking savage

jabberwock

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »

Wat

maverick75

• N00B *Read Intro Sticky*
  • RHMT
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »

I guess not everyone know how kick starter works, a lot of bands do it and on the right hand side you can see what you get with your pledge. With bands you usually get the album before it releases, or sign copies etc. This one lists the options on the side as

"Pledge $25 or more" Reserve your username, plus get a FOUNDER EMBLEM forever emblazoned next to your username.

"Pledge $99 or more" GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

I think it's great, sure its nothing new or high end but not everyone out there are can build their own computer and it's marketed at them.

I stopped playing videos games when I was around 14, I just got tired of spending ridiculous amount of money on a game that would only last 1-2 weeks at the most. But this mini console might just bring me back into the gaming world. I'm a linux/open source fanboy also so I'm really excited.

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:55:36 AM »

I guess not everyone know how kick starter works, a lot of bands do it and on the right hand side you can see what you get with your pledge. With bands you usually get the album before it releases, or sign copies etc. This one lists the options on the side as

"Pledge $25 or more" Reserve your username, plus get a FOUNDER EMBLEM forever emblazoned next to your username.

"Pledge $99 or more" GET AN OUYA: console and controller. Guarantee we will have one available for you, before it gets to stores. Plus the rewards above. We're figuring out how many we can make! (We have to ask you to add $20 for shipping outside the U.S.) Please add $30 if you want a second controller.

I think it's great, sure its nothing new or high end but not everyone out there are can build their own computer and it's marketed at them.

I stopped playing videos games when I was around 14, I just got tired of spending ridiculous amount of money on a game that would only last 1-2 weeks at the most. But this mini console might just bring me back into the gaming world. I'm a linux/open source fanboy also so I'm really excited.
And you are?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

So it's going to have outdated PC games playing on the tv? We just do that now with an HDMI cable and a PC. Wait, it does console games? Um, one of dozens of emulators will cover that. I highly doubt it will play WoW well (as a picture suggests), and definately not at full 1080p. Not if it costs less than the PS3 did at launch.

Maybe I should put my injector "idea" on kickstarter. Looks like free money...

You'd be surprised at the performance of modern GPUs.  Hardware-accelerated 1080p for high profile h.264 content is nothing special.  It will play just fine.  WoW?  C'mon, it's an outdated piece of software.  The graphics are nothing special.  Most likely, they're using OnLive to play it -- you know the service where your game is rendered on a remote server and streamed to your lower-power, lower-performance device?  Another great idea, but unfortunately I have a high performance machine at home already...

why run it on android specifically? the android sdk is horrible.

why not just a linux box, with wine or whatever else, maybe something they make. to run PC games

Serious?

The Android SDK isn't that bad.  The documentation has improved greatly over the last year or so, as have the tools.  In this particular case, the Android SDK doesn't really mean shit.  It's primarily for games.  Games use the OpenGL API.  The only thing "Android" about the games is the very, very basic skeleton of an app to house the OpenGL code.  The SDK, though, is much better than it used to be.  My only complaint now is that OpenGL applications have to be ran on a device, and will crash on an emulator.  I was pissed after I spent hours trying to find out why my code was crashing on the emulator before I found that out...

Android applications -- being for a mobile, touchscreen device -- translate to a TV much better than your typical desktop app.  I know there are some good home theater front-ends for Linux/Windows, such as XBMC, but the UIs on a whole suck.  Most are designed for a desktop where you have a mouse and keyboard for precision.  Mobile apps are designed to require as little input as possible, which is great on a TV.

Wine and PC games?  Riiiggghhhhtttt...  I think some of you are missing the point of this.  It's a $100 device, not a computer.  Media streamers are $100 and up and don't do half the shit this does, nor do they come with a controller.

XBMC among others have already hopped on board to support this thing.  $100 for all the features of a media stream, plus a controller, plus a catalog of modern software and games?  No shit it's not going to have the performance of the $300 GPU in my desktop, but that's not the point.  I'll probably buy one of these things, it's a great idea, and there are a lot of others that agree -- look at the support it's got, not only from individuals, but from big names.

It's a brilliant fucking idea.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:27:35 PM by Jorsher »

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

I haven't used the android SDK is Aprox a year. I've seen some decent games using java 3d libraries. That would run on android

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:47:59 PM »

I haven't used the android SDK is Aprox a year. I've seen some decent games using java 3d libraries. That would run on android

I haven't seriously used it in over a year, but a month or two ago installed the SDK to see what they've done with it.  Emulator still sucks pretty hard, although I'm curious if the running an x86 image would result in better performance?  I'm annoyed that OpenGL can't be tested without a device, though.

For $100, it sounds like a pretty good value to me.  My only concern is the quality of the hardware.  I mean, hell, the Xbox 360 controller is what -- $30-40?  I'm sure there's a markup, but I don't see how you'd build a quality device for that price.  If it does meet the price point, it's a good deal compared to other media streamers in the same price range.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 12:52:39 AM »

Ya the controller should be open. Whatever one you want. That controller looks wired
Pages: [1]   Go Up