:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stupid question about TPS cel, caused from no VAC?  (Read 2797 times)

Tim

• Certified OG
stupid question about TPS cel, caused from no VAC?
« on: April 27, 2009, 04:23:15 PM »

So my car is running on 3 cylinders and I haven't had enough time to really touch it.  I've had alot of family things to work on, business keeping me, it's 45 minute drive to the car and I always forget a few tools I end up needing etc etc.

Anyway, it's obviously a fuel problem as cylinder 4 spark plug comes out clean and brand new doesn't smell like fuel where the other 3 come out black from being rich with the basemap.  It's a 92 teg with the same chipped p06 it's had for a few years, ectune, 450's and a stock ls.  There are alot of potential causes: the resistor box I loaned to the neighbor for a few weeks, the fuel rail sat in a barn for a year, injectors sat in the hatch since thanksgiving etc.  It won't be hard to track down I just need a little time to verify each of these potential issues and find why cyl 4 has no fuel.

It's also throwing a TPS code, everything I see from searching say:
1) MAP and TPS plugs switched but i never touched my firewall mounted map so that's out.
2) TPS and FITV (or IACV i don't know which is which) valve switched but in a teg they would both need extended to reach and cross so that's out.
3) Apexi had problems but his were bad ecu's and it was also an obd0 so I hope my ecu is good, I have some more to test to be sure.

Could it be as simple as the low vac it's pulling from running on 3 cyl, or jsut the tps needing adjusted that the code is coming up?  What all criteria can throw a TPS code?

I plan on spending some time once I get back from TX just wanted a few suggestions on things to look for or if this TPS code is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the e-diagnostics  :P
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:25:10 PM by Tim »

Tim

• Certified OG
Re: stupid question about TPS cel, caused from no VAC?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:13 PM »

also I just threw this engine together from 200,000mi pieces I had around and when I went to check compression last night the battery was dead cause the hatch was left cracked and I had no jumper cables.  So I guess I can't rule out shitty vac it's pulling could be from a fucked up head, just wishful thinking I guess.  I'll be testing the compression as soon as I get back from TX before I waste my time testing the other things if the engine is fucked.

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »

i think what blew my first b20 was actually that i let my brother put the 450's in and he forgot to put the clip back on the injector.  try a stock ecu and stock injectors. 
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

BoostForLife

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:04 PM »

Try testing the spark plug wire to get the 4th piston working.
Adjust your TPS with a volt meter and make sure they're within spec.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

First thing I did was pull the plug on the 4th to determine the dead cyl. and it was def. had spark on a old plug.

I plan on adjusting tps with voltmeter (it's sitting in the glove box for the next visit), swapping ecu and injectors, testing resistor box, flushing fuel rail etc.

I mainly wanted info on this tps code or if I should even fret about it.

BoostForLife

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »

Check OHMs and voltage at the injector plug.

A spark plug wire might work fine when it's taken out to check spark out of the boot, but when in the boot there could be premature ground point not letting the spark get to the spark plug. Try another spark plug wire on that cylinder.
I had something like this happen to me before, spark plug would stay clean with no fuel on it. Turned out there were 2 bad spark plug wires and the car ran on 2 cylinders.

Your TPS CEL has no effect on the car to run on 3 cylinders.

Make sure spark plug wire order is also correct on the distributor, if you look from the passenger's side of the car, #1 will be on the bottom left on a b-series dizzy.
1-3-4-2
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 07:08:46 PM by BoostForLife »

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »

Your TPS CEL has no effect on the car to run on 3 cylinders.
Dude I know and appreciate the advice.  I meant I know how to diagnose troubleshoot the dead cylinder just didn't have the time or the tools I needed.  I need to know what to look for to solve the tps issue if they are not related ie 3 cyl somehow is causeing the code to be thrown.  If I know what I'm in for looking for that I can know what else I need to bring.  The car is 45 minutes away and I have tools scattered around a few places so I'm trying to be prepared for what else I'm in store for after I fix the dead cylinder.

And I did break the spark plug wire last night on the dead cylinder so I'll def. be swapping it with another.  Good point on it may work pulled off the car etc.  I'm just trying to see what else I need to be looking for or ideas options on the damn tps code?  What all throws it if it's not swapped plugs or bad ecu just the wrong voltage?  Seeing too little vac for set TPS value?

edit and yes i did check firing order i've had 3 or so engines in this car.  Like i said the dead cylinder will just take some time and basic troubleshooting.  I need direction on this TPS or to know if solving the dead cyl will solve my tps cel

BoostForLife

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »

Check the wires for TPS.
Key on engine off, sensor plugged in, you should have near the plug.
1 - 5V signal in
1- Ground
1 - .5V signal out when TB is closed, and about 4.5V when TB is open 100%

If all above are correct, then check for signal out voltages at the ECU harness. If they're within range, then try another ecu.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »

cool thanks
actually ectune should tell me sensor voltages koeo I can't remember if I looked last time it ran.
Pages: [1]   Go Up