:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Super simple megasquirt for me to get some learn'n  (Read 3815 times)

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
Super simple megasquirt for me to get some learn'n
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »

I have a 79 cb750 that is a cafe racer project. I also have some cbr itbs. I was thinking about running MS on it to try to get some ecu hardware knowledge. I only want to control fuel with it, I'll leave the spark to the stock ignition, unless I decide to boost it one day. Anyway, will this kit do that?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirti-programmable-efi-system-pcb22-kit-black-case-p-128.html
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
Re: Super simple megasquirt for me to get some learn'n
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »

From what I have seen this should be damn simple. I'm hoping I can use an oil temp sensor in place of a coolant temp sensor, or no coolant temp sensor and just iat since it takes so long for oil to warm up. Thoughts?

Also, from what I'm reading it can time fuel pulses with just a tach signal, I need to figure out how to get a single tach signal from 2 separate coils. Maybe put a diode in line on each one and then splice them together to go to the ecu?
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 03:02:29 PM »

Damn...  Those kits have become pretty damn cheap these days.

If there anywhere on the cylinder head(s) you could drill and tap for a cylinder head temp senser?  I would think that could be used in place of a coolant temp sensor on an air cooled engine.  Just have to fiddle with trim values.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

I considered that idea after typing that whole thing out. Cht is basically the same thing as coolant temp it should be damn close
obd1>gtgtall

NoPistons!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »

Yeah.  If you use your stock sensors, look up the fsm values for calibration in easythem, plug those values in and you should be good to run.  Just run a gm sensor for ait.

Lurk msextra forum and do some heavy reading.

Any reason you went 2.2 over microsquirt or the ms1e 3.0pcb?

After i run through and master v2.2 i'll be moving up to an ms1e v3.0 board.   I hear ALOT of good things to merit spending that extra little bit of time and money and they also dont require a flyback to run low z injectors.  I just ordered some high z's for mine and already have easy therm set up for my factory cht sensor, coolant temp and am running a gm push-in style ait sensor jb welded into one of my cold pipes.  Love megasquirt.  After you get into it bro you'll be like "why the fuck didn't i jump on this sooner?"

Customer support from diyautotune is top notch too!   Very helpful with all of my questions!   Lots of helpful links on youtube as well.  I subscribed to denmah's channel.  I think he's on here.  learned alot just watching his walk thru's on the ms1 2.2 pcb unit.

Do work.  looking forwards to seeing what you come up with on this.  ;DDD

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:31:20 PM »

Isn't the point of an older motorcycle that you can fix it with a hammer and a flat head screw driver?  :P
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »

Maybe. I'm not a fan of motorcycle carbs at all. The amount of money it takes to make good power with them is insane compared to eBay cbr itbs and megasquirt.
obd1>gtgtall

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »

haha, I was just kidding around, old motorcycle carbs are lame and you always have to fuck with them.

I think MS1 2.2 is the way to go. You may want to level the temp correction tables zero'd until you can log some of the ranges you're hitting. Worst case it's not going to want to run nicely when cold until you get the numbers dialed in.

If you really have no luck getting a CHT/Oil temp sensor to do the job right, you could always use a pot to make an electronic choke for lack of a better term. Just wire your ECT sensor to a pot and just dial it in when the engine's cold.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »

Isn't this the same setup Sky is using in his Homemade turbo Motorcycle?  :noel:

http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,2400.0.html  pg3

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

I'm thinking I could use cht as ect without much effort. I do agree, the way to figure it out would be to fumble with it with all ect fuel multipliers 0'd till up to operating temp, then play with colder cht settings later.
obd1>gtgtall

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »

this how the 911 guys do it. the bocsh coolent temp sensor is flat on the bottum. the bug motors have rather large rocker boxes, so most ms'ed bugs just drill and tap a hole in the side of the rocker box to measure oil temp in the head. im told this works well. im not so sure a motorcycle would have room for that. the world is wide open in terms of ms using different sensors. pretty much anything you can find at a wrecking yard or online will be able to work with it.

the other thing that is somtimes done is to simply screw a intake air temp sensor in the ducting on an air cooled motor. i dont like this because on cold days it would never get out of enrichment.

we ended up ditching the air temp sensor for two thermocouple style aircraft CHT prodes, they are very much like an EGT probe with a washer on the end. this worked well once we placed them away from the exhaust ports. warmup time was about the same as a water cooled motor. you may not want to go this route because you have to add the EGT card, and do some hex editing to make it all work. if i had known about the head oil temp sensor method i would have gone that route because thermister type sensors are much simpler to use.

fe3tcourier

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 07:05:56 AM »

nock, may I blatantly steal/re-host your image and quote your text verbatim on my forum? Nice post! :-)

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »

I suggest you copy now, and then PM nock about usage, as I may ax this thread at any minute.  Scott hasn't followed through with this project, and I am feeling mean.   :evil:

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »

It'll happen. Quit being a nigger. Just had some serious financial shit lately.
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »

No one cares about anything you have to say, except whether or not you and Kilgore are coming to the meet.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »

Can't do it. We are both broke negros.
obd1>gtgtall

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »

This thread is a goner.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »

Between his surprise H22 rebuild and my empty house I can't afford, there is no way we can swing it
obd1>gtgtall

fe3tcourier

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

Cached, but deleting shit is the sort of behaviour Rick P gets up to, not a high-calibre gentleman like your good self :-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up