:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ping and knock detection via electronic detcans  (Read 2077 times)

TTC

• Certified OG
Ping and knock detection via electronic detcans
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »

Actually a pretty quick question.  All the samples of knock and such I have heard online via wave and shit when put through the spectrograph present around 6-7000hz. Its almost like a chirp. Is the chirp a by product of the piezo mic in the knock sensor or is that just what it sounds like before it starts to get really audible and sound like BBs in a can?   If you just use a plain 4$ peizo mic and some copper pipe will it still chirp or will it sound like bbs?

I have a pretty nice setup now where I have a jack mounted in the cabin that goes into the lappy and records the wav, analyzes it and then goes to earphones.  I havent done any low load testing yet, to induce knock but im curious as what to expect. Chirp or rattle.

nock

• pro... muther fuckin pro...
Re: Ping and knock detection via electronic detcans
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

nope its just lots of chrips.

if your amp isnt biased properly you may be hearing the front end of your amp clip out. however your discription of bb's in a can sounds right.

if you can tell for sure when its knocking and when it isnt, then why worry about it ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up