:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 89 gm shitbox options for fuel injection/ tuning/ boost  (Read 2514 times)

Tim

• Certified OG
89 gm shitbox options for fuel injection/ tuning/ boost
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »

I have an 89 camaro that I pulled all the wiring and Ecu when I converted to v8 with a carb. Looking for the cheapest easiest options to go fuel injection so I can throw a turbo or two on it.

I can get a full tpi setup with a 7730 Ecu and harness set up for speed density for less than $200 with some spares to sell might end up with 100 in it total.  I'm thinking that is my best bang as it will plug right in to my chassis.

Will it be too restrictive?

I've been offered TBI setups but not as good of a deal yet. But the two barrel TBI looks small as hell. I assume with some more cash I could stick a bigger tb on my existing intake etc and just use a harness and Ecu to get me going.  What kind of injectors go in there and will that cost me cash when I go boost?

I want to be as cheap as possible not only because I'm a cheap bastard, but I don't know if the swap will stay or if I'll end up going ls. I also don't know if the car will stay but its low miles and zero rust which doesn't exist around here and take a little away from its mullet mobile ugliness.

I wrote a novel again. Fuck you

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: 89 gm shitbox options for fuel injection/ tuning/ boost
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »

Depends are the heads of the high flow variety, and does your future plans involve turbo?  :noel:

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

I really doubt they're anything other than stock 197? Heads. It's an engine my uncle had rebuilt years ago for his boat. Stock rebuild with a mild cam and Holley 4150 and a weiand intake.

Yes the whole reason for wanting fuel injection is to add a turbo for dirty cheap.  I assume I'd be a map sensor and injectors away from taking it to tom if I boost it

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »

I really doubt they're anything other than stock 197? Heads. It's an engine my uncle had rebuilt years ago for his boat. Stock rebuild with a mild cam and Holley 4150 and a weiand intake.

Yes the whole reason for wanting fuel injection is to add a turbo for dirty cheap.  I assume I'd be a map sensor and injectors away from taking it to tom if I boost it

Yeap, when you go to install TPI manifold port match and call it a day.

Stock 400SBC do like reving above 5k and seriously doubt you will out flow the heads below 5k, so yeah this TPI should work.

After getting the setup working you can add a large TB and larger injectors for turbo.  :noel:

Oh and check the wiring harness carefully those harness get really brittle after 20yrs or so.  :?: :noel:

Cadracer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »

go tbi and get the 454 tbi unit with bigger injectors. Cleaner look and easier to tune. You need any help with sourcing stuff let me know i have 3 or 4 complete tbi and tpi systems.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:07:50 PM »

7730 gets my vote. Code59 works as well as old GM shit should be expected to work.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance
Pages: [1]   Go Up