YOU
- 0 (0%)
HHH
- 6 (37.5%)
YOUR MOM
- 9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer park HE351/S475 Compound Cummins build, Brodozerifficness.  (Read 31897 times)

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself

I have a build thread with most of this stuff in it but figured Id put the twin setup aspect of it here.

Build:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/779945-snowflake-my-first-oil-burning-pickemuptruck-o.html

Truck is a 07 5.9 QC with 90K on it. Its my first Cummins (first diesel truck period) and a pavement princess. I bought it to haul dirtbikes and a trailer with my racecar, thats it... Wanted a truck after driving my dads 07 Silverado 6.0L, but NOT a gasser with the fuel mileage. but its slow. I dont like slow :)

Bought it bone stock with a 6" lift on it. I get bored fast and have built alot of high HP Jap stuff and a couple of the v8 persuasion so it seemed like a natural destiny that this thing would not stay stock for long. I have done all of the supporting mods that I felt I needed to get where I want to be, including fuel tranny etc, and all of that is outlined in the build thread.

The only things to come are I will put in the ARP heasdstudds I ordered in when they arrive next week, and EFI is coming soon after I recoup a bit... For now Ill continue to run the Edge JWA/Hot unlock I have.

First plans were just to do a second gen manifold/ FMW 363 or something and EFI, but couple buddies told me I wouldnt like it and to look at compounding it.  Inititlaly I really didnt want to and just wanted a simple solution, so I resisted. Finally figured F it and got off my butt and decided to start sourcing pieces. I like to fab, so thats not an issue. Everything in the kit was built by me other than the Source auto Primary mount. Thats what I built the kit around (Well that and the 3 piece manifold I bought from SoCal Diesel Performance). Im cheap so I looked for deals and did OK. With studs Im in all of it about 2200 bucks  :)

Before, truck and the pile of stuff thats been accumulating in my room as I researched for a few months:

Viola, finally got busy last weekend:

Fender/flares off
Batt box/filter box out
Exhaust removed
Turbo/manifold/intake out
Chargepipes out
Studs out of OEM manifold and in new 3 piece manifold
Threaded holes in Holsets Hotside drilled out to clear studs
EGT thermocouple installed into manifold
Turbo dissaembled for cleaning (Bead blast compressor housing, a simple non invasive brushing of the center section and coating the hotside)
JUST the hotside is clamped on the manifold  with the billet Flange i bought to fab the hotpipe with.
Boring out the WG port tomorrow too...

Ill take lots of pics of fab, and be in touch with phil to get on EFI and get an insight since my friend wants my hot unlocked JWA  :)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
Re: Trailer park HE351/S475 Compound Cummins build, Brodozerifficness.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:15 AM »

Progress slowed as I had trouble finding a carbide bit to port the WG hole int he Holset and was really underwhelmed at the block drain fittings that are available, so I got busy on the lathe and came up with these:

They fit better and were free... :) Im using the service auto mount for the 475 so the rear is a bung and the 351 will be using a -10 braided an drain so i welded a bung to the front hole fitting. They fit tight and are far sturdier than the crappy one i bought off ebay.

Well the Hotpipe has def been a challenge.

Bought a Source auto V1 mount, had to make the hotpipe...

SUPER tight radius. Had to enlist the help of my Pie cut cheater king buddy to help get it ironed out, but its almost done as is almost ALL the other big stuff... Few more little things and final assembly, looks like by the end of the weekend shell be back up :)

Have to take the motor hook bracket off for Charge pipe clearance today and install the hot pipe to test fit, take everything back off wrap what I need to wrap then final install!!!

All that will be left is the DP/exhaust and that should be easiest task yet :)

My birdpoop 5 to 4 reducer for the downpipe (that will thankfully be wrapped... It was LATE and clearly I couldnt weld LOL)...

And the biggest PITA puzzle... SUPER tight.

On another note... The last piece has been worked out and fits PERFECT!

Final disassembly to do a couple things and put it together for real!!! Only thing left is the chargepipe from the secondary to the FMIC. CAKE. I took off the engine hook to make better room for the charge pipe and keep the pipe away from the hood... It will make sense when you see it done :)

Only crappy thing I had left to do is re route the heater tube to clear the hotpipe.

Im going to wrap it tomorrow.  Overall its been a good learning experience and we made a jig for the hot pipe for the future. For my first set of compounds, im pretty happy with how its turning out. Next pics will be of her all together  :)

Some more minor progress tonight. Tomorrow it all comes off, and gets final installed  :)

Need 2 -4 90s
some -4 line
1 -10 45 fitting
1 2 1/2 to 3 inch silicon reducer
Once its all in, do secondary chargepipe to FMIC and mount IAT sensor in intake
Down pipe to Exhaust and thats it

Aftrer that do the studs and be DONE...

Tonights progress:

Final welding of the mid chargepipe
Holset cleaning and refurb done
Wastegate solenoid removed filled and finished
Wastegate solenoid pigtail/resistor ECU fooler done (120 Ohm 1 watt resistor)
Holset oil feed line done
Air filter 45 degree elbow here clamps here...

Well came home and got to it...

The one PITA thing left to do was to bend the heater line that runs along the back of the block... Got it done with a bunch of heat and out of the way of the hot pipe and stuff...

SOOOO finally got to do final assembly and got really far along! Super happy with how this thing is turning out and its almost done, made way more progress than I thought I would tonight..

None of it has to come back off, and it really goes together easily. BAsically all I have left to do are wait for my AN fittings for the 475 feed and holset drain to show up tomorrow and airfilter so I can make the intake tube... Then do the downpipe and im just going to straightpipe it until I figure out what muffler I want to put on it.

---GFI we build FAST---

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:37 AM »

SHould have it running Saturday...  I talk too much.

---GFI we build FAST---

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »

Well short story is that the chargepipe from the secondary to the intercooler wasnt going to work with a filter or I was going to have to lose the pass side battery, so I finally accepted that I was going to have to do the chargepipe over... which bummed me out. I really liked how it  with the setup but it wasnt going to play nice. It came out to far and back to far taking up too much of the area for the filter.

The intake was another pain in my  but once id cut the corner off the battery box and reprofiled it... I got somewhere... For now, 2 4" ABS 45 degree bends are it LOL  :)  I farted around for too long trying to figure it out. Was at Home Depot and had the filter in my other truck... Saw the ABS stuff and thought hmm... and sure as hell, PERFECT fit to the intake boot on the compressor and the 5 inch inlet into the filter. Its also thick enough to drill a .500" hole in for the intake sensor and seal perfectly :)

Ill build an aluminum one later but for now, this is it :) Actually fits great and looks supringly good LOL  :). 20 dollars later for 2 45s a can of pipe dope and a half inch hole for the intake sensor and its a done deal :)

Got my downpipe al done today too, had a 4 inch Vband laying aroudnd so used it for the downpipe to the exhaust so one or the other couldd be removed, also made attaching the existing rear exhaust to the new stuff. Its all new fom the axle hump forward, but I saw no need to replace all that stuff.. Mocked the downpipe up from some bends I had lying around and got busy wrapping it and getting the exhaust done  :)

Peek aboo  :)

All thats left to do is figure out what in the hell Im gonna do about a trans dipstick tube. What a mess at least with mine, had to cut off the stock bracket from the tube as it was directly in the way of the outlet of the Primary, getting busy with the torch and some ingenuity tomorrow to dial that out...

That and build a new secondary chargepipe, thats it. Shes done  :) Start it up tomorrow and wash it, its filthy  Z:)

---GFI we build FAST---

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:56:28 AM »

vRan out of gas for the welder LOL... Had to go to a buddies to finish the last chargepipe but its done and Im driving it... No leaks or anything...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152174637265378&set=vb.639350377&type=3&theater

Went to a buddies house to fininsh the pipe and when I got there carelessly cleaned off the witness marks where the middle coupler is. Picked up a cylinder on the way to weork, tube will be one piece after work. Just wanted to drive it and getr some miles on it to see if there was anything I needed to adress...

So far so good :)

After the vid also made a wastegate fooler, took care of the CEL (I used 3 1/4 watt resistors in parallel coming out to 142 ohms with the plug):

No more CEL :)

Finished up minus the middle coupler that will be fixed when I get home.

Its only seen about 30 pounds so far... Being nice to it untill I get the studs in the motor. They should be here tomorrow... Ill get em in next week, Im going out of town for a couple days so Im just cruisin her around  :)

You can totally hear the different sounds of each charger coming on... and spooling down... 2 totally distinctively different sounds....

Sounds insane... lime a pissed off 747 taking off and a lear jet under it at full cruise hahaha. I think its goi g to get a muffler on it though... I dont really like the straigbt pipe a whole lot... its much mellower than I thought it would be but its not me.

Time to read up on how to tune the secondary gate to get it setup right... Found a great thread:

Tuning Twins - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

---GFI we build FAST---

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:57:07 AM »

Last pics for a minute... Studs next. EFI SOON.

Got the secondary pipe welded and usewd a buddys bead roller to roll the pipes...after I got some gas for the welder:) Thinking about a vanjen clamp from the pipe into the intercooler though... Itsa the one place I could see a coupler popping off, and by the time I put a boost brace on it I might as well...

It wants more fuel up top, need to make sure the pump is up to snuff... REAL black down low but truck feels flat on the Edge up top... Im letting out of it at like 40 pounds though too...

When the studs are in it ill hold it to the wood... THink it just nreds an actual tune, and the gate opening earlier. Probably going to fab and machine a nice spring gate for it...

Welded and polished. Its a wrap :)

---GFI we build FAST---

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:09 AM »

DAMN! thats just plain sexy!!!

How much power are you expecting to make?
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

Fuck yeah. I'm glad you posted it up here. You said last week that you were gonna knock it out over the weekend. You went fibbing. Glad to see that it's on this forum. This mother fucker is gonna get busy. In for dyno vids. Josh gonna tune it?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »

Looks good.

Get those studs in it, and re-torqued and let's see what it will do. EFI live will make it a whole new animal, not nearly so over-fueled on the bottom end, and better fueling on the top end.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »

Looks good.

Get those studs in it, and re-torqued and let's see what it will do. EFI live will make it a whole new animal, not nearly so over-fueled on the bottom end, and better fueling on the top end.

Got an Autocal 3 and EGT with CSP5 ordered yesterday from phil at anarchy.  Should have it friday...

Studs go in it this weekend... I think i have a boost leak somewhere im going to chase down this weekend as well . Other than that just go through and tighten everything down again for comfort...

Lost your fucking number agian man hit me up have a couple final questions

---GFI we build FAST---

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »

Best way to chase boost leaks in that system is to pull the airfilter put a cap over the primary and pressurize the system with shop air (don't go crazy on the pressure, as the cap will make quite the bang if it slips off) and then spray all the connections with soapy water.

I will shoot you a PM with my number.

I have never tried an Anarchy tune, but he seems to be popular on the forums.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

DSharp

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »

Not usually a fan of Dodge, but I would damn sure own one of these trucks!  Like your accord, this build is giving me some ideas! I see you have a HY35W typeD? Same fuckin turbo I have on my accord!  What are you using for the LP turbo?  Now go lay down some numbers!
No escape from the mass mind rape

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 12:22:03 AM »

Love it big man.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 02:19:39 AM »

Studs and EFI live went in last weekend

EFI came in, and I picked up an Insight with EAS pyro... Also on the way is a 100 PSI boost gauge for the Manifold and 5V pressure transducer to cobble together my own EAS device for the primary side using electronics and not spending 250 dollars to do so.

I flashed the Autocal with the stock tune as directed and pushed the CSP5 tune to the ECU, but have a couple questions. The CSP switch is mounted, The Insight is in and the old JWA is out. I only have to put the new EAS pyro in the manifold and yank the other one out, ran out of light...

Drove the truck around a little on the CSP using the old JWA for gauges (on 0 of course)... Its smooth, but the truck doesn't feel as strong as Id hoped in all honesty, at least yet... Definately doesnt come on as strong.. CSP switch is flashing as it should indicating that everything is good to go... Will see if any boost leaks and will check rail since now I actually can :)

I think I want to figure out how to get the gate to open earlier for one... Anyway here are some pics, and Ill have a few more of the install tomorrow.

Edge Insight with REAS Pyro got a killer deal couldnt say no, and I tried.

Stacking stacks on stacks of stacks towmirrors stacked on stacked stacks..... Kidding. I used the JWA for guages on 0  before I put the insight in tonight...

Anarchy goodness.

Man putting headstuds in one of these one at a time is ALOT of work LOL, but its done! 6 Hours later LOL... Rookies  ;)

ARP 425s... 3 stepped in order (33,66,100), then up to 135... Valves adjusted and slapped her back together... So now I can finally hold her to the wood.

It runs very smooth on the EFI live, very clean barely any smoke...It definately wants more fuel, time to log and get them to Phil at Anarchy... Found 1 small EX leak from the Holset into the hot pipe, getting a new v-band for that...

Other than that she seems to be solid. EGTS staying right around 1400 on the top... 50 PSI (Fluttering though, weird. SO far. IT seems it needs more fuel up top. Time to log it.

Still trying to figure out how to pop the gate open a little earlier.. Thoughts?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!

Pics:

It needed the valves adjusted... Bit loose they were, it is quieter now.

:)

Truck pulls fuckin hard. Theres a good deal to be had still though. Thought I was having rail pressure dropping issues but Rail is holding 25-26K psi so its good... Hsave something goin on thats costing me 5-9 ish PSI... Ill find it in the next week after i get the first tune update. Truck drives great and i can stomp the pedal to the wood and EGTS never go over 1400....

Have to datalog it and send the files to Phil for more fine tuning...

---GFI we build FAST---

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »

Badass on so many levels!

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:44 PM »

Fuck yeah..... so fucking sexy
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »

Blew a chargepipe off at 55 PSI last night (from the Holset to the hotside)....It scared the fucking shit out of me. Vanjen clamp and boost braces ordered. I was datalogging too LOL...

Trying to get her lggged for Phil to get the tune dialed in for the setup. an BAMM!!!! It oblitterated the pad under the hood... Luckily nothing else got fucked up, but the lesson is that chinky ass tbolt clamps CANNOT be tightened enough to hold 55 pounds of a S475 and HE351 huffing through it... LOL

FML

More pics later, prob some Burnout videos or some shit. It already needs tires.. This is not helping

---GFI we build FAST---

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:49 PM »

Lmfao....... I bet you needed a change up underware.....lol wish you had on board cam for that.

Sedrostyle

• Turbine Noob
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »

This is bad ass. How did I miss this. I saw the video on facebook of it idling.. need a ripper. or atleast a burnout :D

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

Did u swap in one of those solid fuel rail plugs instead of the janky OEM spring ones? 
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:22 AM »

Did u swap in one of those solid fuel rail plugs instead of the janky OEM spring ones?

Why? Does he want to blow injectors up?
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

If it means good fuel pressure, why not?
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »

If it means good fuel pressure, why not?

Because injector solenoids are expensive, and it is unneeded. If he wants to push the limits of the stock injectors I would do a shim kit. This will allow higher pressures, and still have some protection. On the race truck (with highly modified injectors) we run ~35000psi DO NOT TRY THIS WITH STOCK 5.9 INJECTORS!! One your rail pressure sensor does not read that high, and two stock injectors will just beat the pintle out in about 10 seconds at that pressure. As Chad mentioned and I will elaborate on, if you let out of the throttle fast from wot to brakes for example the rail pressure will spike and literally pop the solenoid off the injector. Not only is this annoying, but a set of 6 injectors is about $1000 for stock ranging up to $7000 for the big boys.   

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »

Spiker. Go to Fastenal or Acklands and pick up Mikalor W2 Clamps, and replace all your t bolt clamps with those. Those clamps with some better silicone boots, good beads at the ends of the tubes and some hairspray on the inside of the silcone have held 130psi for us in the past. We now run vanjens or vbands at all connections.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »

Bought a boost brace for the holset to the FMIC to hold that cunt in place..., and a vanjen for the bottom of it into the core... The pipe has a very large bead rolled in it... WIll be making a steel pipe for the cold side to the intake horn too

Im having another weird fucking issue... Wish your ass was closer.. Wierd ass almost rubbing or some shit under load its intermittent... Its pissing me off.. Trans is running hot too. Taking it to the trans place since i has 24k 24month warranties. I planned pon putting an aux cooler in it and deleting the heat exchanger anyways.. but right now im wondering if i have a tranny or flexplate issue.

Its hard to describe.

Doesnt sound horrible, but its not right and its fucking bugging me.

---GFI we build FAST---

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »

Go get Mikalor clamps too. Even just go hold one in your hand, once you have you will wonder why you have used anything else.

If the trans is running hot, it may not be locking up, or might be slipping in lock up. Those are the only times that the race truck trans gets warm.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »

So big nig, did you get your boost issues fixed?

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 09:57:38 PM »

So big nig, did you get your boost issues fixed?

Ya man.

Been lagging updating here, but Im almost ready to add more fuel to it (Nozzles CP3 later) It pulls NICELY. Just about to send datalogs off for tweaking.. Tax time Ill throw nozzles and a 10mm Stroker at it and make people angry.

Crossposted updates. FUCK YOU:

Had a couple issues been trying to iron out... But got it worked out

Ditched the Holley pump for a FASS 150 adjustable pump (Pump only) with the .625 gear... Holley Billet pump just cant hang up top.

Put a derale atomic cooler with fan in it too

And am going to be putting a Wicked Wheel 2 in the Holset I bought today due to inducer wear (I didnt get the damn C clip in all the way evidently and the cover came off a bit ed to one side and hit the inducer of the wheel). The tips of the compressor wheel have notable damage to them ( enough to where the tips of the fins are rolled back and theres too much clearance to the housing, but the housing is fine) and im SURE are making the turbo a good deal inneficieant... Otherwise everything else is good

Ive taken the entire kit off to inspect everything and everything looks great. Changed all filters and oil... Truck sounds amazing

I got off my  and built me a mount for the trans cooler that puts it between the tank and transfer case above the skid plate to protect it. Built it out of angle iron then boxed it in... bolted the cooler to it and welded the assembly to the skid plate crossmember. Ended up welding the bolt heads to the mount to make it easier to remove it without pulling the crossmember and painted it. Came out good. Changed the oil and fuel filters in the truck too.

:)

Bypassed heat exchanger, but left engine coolsant running through it for additional cooling, No trans fluid passres through at all anymore though.

Final install

Got the Fass in, things a beast... Makes the Holley feel and perform like a toy, Very happy I went this route.

Slopilly welded a bracket out of some plate I had laying around to mount the pump.  bought JUST the pump with .635 gear since I already have a 2 Micron spin on setup I fabbed, and am running a Baldwin PF7977 in the OEM location, Also already have a sumped tank and 100 micron pre filter for the setup, Just welded my mount to the frame, swapped the plumbing over and viola. MUCH better. This thing does like 150 gallons at 30 PSI or something... The holley would start at 15 and when fuel warmed up fall to around 10 at idle. I didint like it, so traded up for this thing  (Summits the best, only had to come over the top of the exchange 75 bucks for it).

Pump came out of the box at 30 PSI, I turned it down to 18... Figured that was fine  :0

Final install  :

So she goes in to get the new cooler, yoke and U-joint Tuesday, the Wicked wheel will be here Thursday... and I need to get the Vanjen and boost brace on it, so Saturday Ill pull the Holset center out, install new wheel... Take off the intercooler and put the vanjen on it and weld the boost brace legs to the charge pipe and compressor housing while the turbos apart, install my home brewed spring gate and let the  eat FINALLY  :)

Heres what I got for my spring gate setup worked out. Built it n the lathe at work on my lunch hour and 1 break ;):

Keep in mind what I have hasn't been all smoothed out and polished up and whatnot yet. Only thing left to do though now is to cut a circle with a holesaw to mimic the Holsets wastegate bottom, drill a hole in the center for the rod to travel through, and two holes to mount the assembly to the compressor, then weld it to the bottom race (I wanted these to be removable and serviceable as a unit).

Theres a short video at the bottom... Im taking the holset off to put my wicked wheel in this weekend so Im hoping to have this thing done, when Im installing it ill post a video of how im doing the rod extension  :)

Installed height leaves plenty of travel for gate actuation, and adjustment form about 16 to 20 pounds initial pressure, with 25 to 30 on the top when fully compressed depending on how tight its base height is set at. I think it should work well.. based on the specs you guys gave me for your tweaked springate settings

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152266348550378&set=vb.639350377&type=2&theater

Put this shit in it last weekend:

Got off my but  and put the billet wheel in the holset too. The old wheel was a bit hammered from when the compressor was hitting the housing when the ring wasnt seated properly.

Also welded the wastegate spring assy and put the boost brace on it... still need to put the vanjen on the bottom of the tube but ill get to that in a week or so.

Broke the bolt in the vband that holds the center section to the hotside. So had to get creative. Lol. Welded that thing (Ill go get a new one from cummins during the week). EDIT got one... I dont like how the fucking paint had that blue hue to it so Im pulling the compressor off anyway to paint it Silver like it was...

Progress.

Wheel feels good off the hit, not more notable in initial spool but I can tell it comes in harder than the old cast wheel for sure. I could definitely see the transient response being a nice addition to a stick shifted setup.

Next update will be some vids after the tune touch up, a dyno session, then nozzles :)

Oh, and a pic of your mom...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:01:19 PM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »

Damn this thing keeps getting better and better!

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2014, 09:40:31 AM »

When installing the billet compressor, did you have to get a special in-lb torque wrench?

Or did you just tighten the nut up with your hand near the head of the wrench?

Also did you replace the compressor housing or use the original housing?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up