NOVA?
- 3 (23.1%)
NOVA!
- 3 (23.1%)
?
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***  (Read 85662 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***SHE RUNS!!!! true story w/video***
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »

What happened? Did an exhaust bolt go in to the after jacket in the head? I'm cornfused

there is a crack going through the exhaust bolts between the center 2 cylinders. must be a water jacket right behind. when i got this engine it was in a roll over. every bolt on that side was bent (cracked oil pan, bent PS pulley). must have gotten cracked then.

fresh head is acquired and on... maybe some pics and progress update tonight.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #451 on: September 30, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »

oh damn. I couldn't see the crack on my phone.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #452 on: September 30, 2018, 11:55:33 PM »

oh damn. I couldn't see the crack on my phone.

invest in a screen protector next time  ;)
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #453 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »

OK... so i have been working. well i have done some work.

i had to re-read me thread some to remember where i left off, and what i did lol.

i got another cylinder head... YES, as in ONE. and swapped over the valve springs, cleaned it a little bit. then threw it on. think i did that like a week or 2 after last post.

i messed with the shifter for way to long trying to over complicate a bracket... did i ever say where i got the shifter? its a 3rd gen camaro unit. those are 4 speed 700r4's.
anyway. i just drilled a hole in the floor about where it looked like it should go. cable wants to hit the kickdown switch in trans. but got it squared up, marked. railed a hole in the bracket. and now its bolted down. yeah with one bolt. but there is a lip on the pan so its not like the bracket is going to twist/move.
works great after a little adjustment. its ALL THE DETENTS of the trans on the shifter dead square. reverse/park lockouts work. etc. its solid.
it obviously doesnt go into "1st" gear. just 4-3-2...if you had the factory indicator. so now its just P-R-N-3-2-1... bonus is that if i ever get a 80e in here, im set.... also i should probably wire in the neutral safety switch.

i got motivated about a center console. so i started mocking up my vision...

then i got hungry or cold...

oh speaking of no attention span

i bought a solid engine mount for the drivers side. i noticed on my first start that the engine was kinda flopping around. this should firm it up, but still not rattle the paint off the car.
this was kinda a bitch to put in.

oh yeah, fixed the crossover. it fits again, mostly. this makes me hate v-band clamps btw. doing this pipe requires 3 hands.

i dont remember if i said i couldnt get the  brakes to bleed AT ALL. but i got a hand vacuum pump and got fluid to the calipers. got some pressure. after a while i got full pressure. then a HUGE leak. all seems fixed. rears are bled.
i nut/bolt checked all the rear... all is set back that for now (still need to put swaybar on). just needs lug nuts tight.  *on list* and caltrac's adjusted.

after finishing up the crossover i started nut/bolt check at the front. put some cotter pins in. a couple zerks, put some grease in the ball joints/tie rods.

i monkeyed with the engine cover for a while trying to get it to sit as low as possible, because for some reason i find that intake manifold cover amusing and i want it on my car. lol.
threw the downpipe on for temp, also checked and hooked up the rest of the charge piping for the turbo.

now if i would have worked on it more this weekend or last like i was planning i might have driven it around the block (hopefully it goes that well). and put a shake down mile on her to inspire more motivation and confidence (im scared this is just going to fall apart now). but didnt work out. maybe soon...

PLAN on buttoning this up quickly. maybe getting exhaust of some kind to exit at least behind the door. put a couple around town miles, get it to work for an alignment. then i think the plan is to (tow) her to Ross Performance Group for a tune!!!

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #454 on: December 02, 2018, 10:38:35 PM »

Hell yeah dude!
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

JRoyPDX

• May or May Not Have Been FooK
« Reply #455 on: December 13, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »

This is awesome, and Civic to Chevy II best trade deal ever.
1991 GMC Syclone 11.37 @ 114mph
2017 Silverado RCSB daily, runs 14.4's, trans tune with HPT, too scared to touch the engine tune

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #456 on: December 14, 2018, 06:23:23 AM »

This is awesome, and Civic to Chevy II best trade deal ever.

it really is.  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #457 on: December 14, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »

btw. this bitch is broken... doesnt want to start.  ::)

after some fucking around with HPTuners and getting pissed. 100% because i have no idea wtf im doing (trying to get vcm scanner to work). but i figured it out.

anyway. i have NO TPS input. map is like 14psi. air temp reads 27 (coolant is 47 with 49 on laser thermometer).. think im forgetting something, guessing injectors arent firing at all either as i have no gas smell.... thats just what i noticed at a glance. i am getting rpm signal though.
so i was excited. checked the ground, its solid bolted, and only inch away from battery ground. and thats all i really removed when i did the head swap. all the other grounds are on the other head. but i guess i will try to mess with it again tomorrow. give all the wires a solid pull and see if i get 2 pieces lol. or one of the guys i work with (was a GM tech) said if it smoked a sensor it could short to ground or whatever. and to start unplugging sensors one at a time, and log it.

oh, and maybe someone here knows? i have one of those cheap ELM232 or whatever things to bluetooth to the Torque app. it works on my G8 just fine. but WILL NOT WORK on my truck or the Nova. (same ECU) is this a thing? do i need a different adapter? which one works with the 99-03 truck ecu? i really want to be able to connect to it with that to put gauges on my tablet while driving...

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #458 on: December 14, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »

Should work mine works fine. Maybe yours doesn't have a real stn chip in it and it can't do jpw1850. I ran in to that with making my gauges. Maybe canbus is wired wrong or the pcm is borked

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #459 on: December 15, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »

so I messed with it some today. grounds all look fine and in place.

I unplugged the IAT and it goes to -38... so it's just calibrated wrong.

tps has power, has ground... maybe vcm scanner is just displaying wrong? it says throttle pedal position. but pulls the ECU coding just fine and says 2000 Silverado P01.

I unplugged the map. it throws a code goes to 0.0... I plugged it back in and it went to 5.8psi (was 15something before)... so maybe that's just fucked.

I took a quick look for stock map and have no idea where I put it.

I will not be surprised at all when. the map sensor is dead from just fucking sitting...

anyway, no progress for tonight for damn sure. big ass storm blowing through and I have no power... good times.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #460 on: December 16, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »

ok. idk wtf i did or what im doing....

i bought another map sensor. still reads 5.8psi with key on? idk. figure that shit out later. i wanted to have a spare map sensor anyway. these random maps arent trustworthy for shit.

after much more messing around. probing wires and all. im really more confused. TPS has power, assuming coolant and air both do as they read...but i have no injectors/coils?

anyway. seems for fuck knows what reason between my little first start vid and putting the cylinder head back on i have removed and lost/misplaced my main/ign relay... the one i thought was that just says 12v/acc or someshit. so i assumed...

i probe more wires trying to figure out wtf i as doing. i do know i pulled the fan relay as it was just running all the damn time. think i have shit sorted.

STARTS, and is loud as fuck! lol. its just past 8pm, but i killed it anyway.

i stare at the fuse box thinking wtf... and notice the fuel pump is labeled being fuse #6... there is no fuse there!! fuel pump has been priming for this whole damn time...

so im done for the night.... wtf. tomorrow i might just pull the box back out... draw my ass a map. and figure out what the hell is going on before i end up burning her to the ground, on accident lol.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #461 on: December 18, 2018, 01:20:38 AM »

OMG ITS MELTING!!!....  ::)

anyway. i went back through the relay box and now i have mapped the damn thing so i know where everything goes and what they all do. want to make one that i didnt handwrite (my penmanship is shit) to stick on the inside of the lid OE style.

ITS LOUD! my dB meter shows 99db... my G8 fires off with a 84 then settles to 75, for reference.

idea was to get her to move under her own power, verify the trans works.... well after several tries and about a gallon of fluid she warmed up enough to where she didnt want to idle. so i 2 foot her out the garage, make a U turn, and back into the garage so that the passenger side is next to the bench with more room.. the exhaust is on that side. or the exhaust i need to build will be lol.

it was only like 4pm, but im sure my neighbors LOVE ME NOW :)

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #462 on: December 18, 2018, 01:37:38 AM »

When is the tooning date? Taking it to Ross?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #463 on: December 18, 2018, 02:06:27 AM »

When is the tooning date? Taking it to Ross?

no date set yet. i plan on taking it to Ross.

i ordered a muffler. i have a V-band and some bends left. going to hit the auto parts store for a couple hangers and probably a length of 3" pipe.... then i can see if i can mess with the tune, or get someone to help me. i would like a little more shake down than a U turn in my driveway before trailering it all the way down to Ross...
i would like to get it aligned at work, but that may be difficult. but also not really needed till it runs/drives. so not a big deal. should be close enough (maybe ill take a better look) to put some around the town miles on her.

really want to make sure i have everything ready and sorted before tune...

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »

lol... "that barn find look"...

SHE'S BLEEDING!

why do cork gaskets even still exist? i assume thats what is leaking,  i really didnt look that hard. car wasnt leaking until it sat for 2 days...

ordered this on a suggestion. great reviews on amazon. steel reinforced rubber gasket. i hate the fact its blue. it reminds me of felpro gaskets...and i hate that its blue. but also under the car, so ehh.

big ass muffler i bought on amazon...yes before measuring anything under the car. looks like a magnaflow inside and out. but little less than half the price. totalflow or something. 3" center in/out. perforated core, straight through.

little test fitting of the muffler. think its going to go about around there somewhere... while it does fit slightly better inside the subframe connectors, the exhaust pipe isnt getting past the trans crossmember without rebuilding it, then the pipe still needs to come over the subconnectors to exit out the side or over and around the gas tank.
it will be painted black. pipe will be painted back and header wrapped... and i will probably get some of that stick on DEI shielding too.
plan is to exit exhaust right before back tire.

while i am semi motivated, im feeling lazy... sure i could have driven it today (assuming all was running/tuned/etc) but its cold out (40-45) with no heater, and damp out...and thats the good weather for the next 3-4months...

yes i still would have driven her to go get lunch anyway... lol.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »

I hate that its blue too.....lol so I thought you wanted to run the mufflers on the inside of the frame rails? So how are you getting the downpipws from in your bay to the outside of your rails? Going out the inner fender?

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »

I hate that its blue too.....lol so I thought you wanted to run the mufflers on the inside of the frame rails? So how are you getting the downpipws from in your bay to the outside of your rails? Going out the inner fender?

i wanted to. but i have to get past the trans crossmember and then back under the sub frame connectors. killing all ground clearance on both. or a fuckton of work. actually i would just crush/oval the shit out of the pipes.

yeah, going to bust a quick little turn just in front of the front subframe mount on firewall. the rails on the aftermarket front sit up a bit higher than the floor. should give the best room.

i dont know. i really dont like any of these exhaust ideas. but this one is the easiest. and least compromising to ground clearance too. but also most visible...

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »

hey, look, that ugly bastard is in there....

....AND STARTED LEAKING INSTANTLY... gallon of atf came out, so i poured it back in. i clean up some tools, peak back under. and i got a 2.5" spot already... its leaking from the left rear bolt.

i didnt rattle them down with my gun...maybe i should have? i put them on, oh lets call it 15ft tight. i went around the pan like 3 times making sure they where all the same.... so once leaking i gave her and the ones on each side a good crank. ill check in hour or so when checking laundry ;)

more of what i was spending too much time working on...

its all tacked in. ill pull it off tomorrow and weld it all up... i am short about 2ft and a 45* (to exit from under the car) from finishing... i may just go to the autoparts store and get a slash cut tail pipe piece and clamp it on for now.
oh i have 2 hangers i am going to put in also. got them sorted. just need to bolt them in and weld them too.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #468 on: December 24, 2018, 03:59:23 AM »

Looks good.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #469 on: January 01, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »

ok. so i dont know shit about tuning with HPTuners. but she fires straight away with the key, after a bit of running she gets to little over 100*F and just doesnt want to idle anymore. will stall. wont run unless pedaled.
i mobbed through the settings with some youtube help to make sure it was stuck in open loop (i dont have stock O2's hooked up). but doesnt seem to be a fueling issue.... idk.
also was kinda getting the feeling it had a missfire on 1-2 cylinders??

http://youtu.be/o9YUFHjMmpQ

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »

Sounds like it's switching from warmup to running off the fuel trims. Without being able to see the O2 sensors the pcm is probably freaking out and going rich as hell

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »

Sounds like it's switching from warmup to running off the fuel trims. Without being able to see the O2 sensors the pcm is probably freaking out and going rich as hell

thats the thought... but, im done. im just a moron blindly loading a map hoping it works... i have a date set with tuner (Ross Performance) and will be dropping it off.

i need to address a ATF leak, and an oil leak. i ordered a boost controller. and a microswitch for trans kickdown. and a trailer hitch for the truck.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #472 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »

start right with the good stuff...

HOOD IS ON... making this pretty damn complete. more than it has been in forever...

checking old posts... yup, 3 years...

other happenings....

i had a bit of confusion a bit back. made a little fuse box map...

made a better version, and stuck it in the fuse box. solid now. almost OEM lol.

car on all 4 wheels... added the longest scrap of pipe i had, and an autoparts store turn down.  all black it just blends away...

boost controller.

test fit of WOT switch (well about 80% throttle) for the TH400 kickdown.

umm...maybe we will get to that stuff eventually...

little money shot of the engine bay with the hood on... turbo fits, my fancy Vortec cover fits. really kinda surprised this 14lbs of shit fit in the 8lbs Nova engine bay.

roadkill style pre-dyno list... just some non-important crap left it looks like. maybe ill dig out the safety checklist again for giggles.

plan is to tow this pile to dyno next week to get the tune all fixed up!!! :)

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • Zeus E-Juice Premium E-Liquid
« Reply #473 on: January 19, 2019, 11:04:37 PM »

Like!
http://bit.ly/TYRevB  If you vape, you have to try Zeus E-Juice

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »

Nice, go make some numbers!
92GSR - mild interest

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2019, 11:12:58 PM »

I DROVE THE NOVA!!!!

i went to the corner store and back...yeah, probably 3 blocks in total... but found a potentially big issue. right rear tire rubs BAD. thought i heard the right front and left rear too. but could just be the car falling apart too. my road is a bit fucked, so kinda seemed wondery, but needs alignment, as i have proven many times to be cross eyed as fuck when doing garage alignments LOL.
got her to probably 25-30ish on the return. guessing its got 1st and second gear at least?

went and got a fender roller from a buddy. he looked over my tune, we are both confused. shit just doesnt seem right. but i am no tuner (but amazing have tuned a car or two enough not to explode lol), and he has tuned a couple cars on many systems (1-2 HPT cars)... anyway i had another map i had queued up, and he liked that one much better, as shit made since. anyway, going to give that a try tomorrow.

oh and a buddy in town i have known for years has a dyno, and has it setup now. and works right next door. so. we might just throw my pile on his dyno and make a hit.... have to see how this other tune works out, maybe some street hits... maybe still just tow the fucker to get tuned elsewhere... oh, buddies shop just tunes Honda and i think Nissan they have barely looked at HPT.

FUCKIN EXCITED...  :Jew:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:16:18 PM by turbohf »

random-strike

• Certified OG
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***DROVE HER AROUND THE BLOCK!***
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2019, 02:23:20 PM »

w00t
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »

dont remember where i left off...

but i clearanced the right rear fender. doesnt seem to rub now.

oh i dont remember if i said that my fuel gauge didnt seem to work?? well it does now!

friends stopped by for some encouragement as i was trying to go for a more legit drive around the block... they took a video, its on my FB if you have that, then well you probably already seen it.

did some more work today.

got the brake light switch hooked up. even though Bryan said i had brake lights, guess he seen the parking lights?

got 2 seats now.. well the passenger is 75% bolted down,  muffler is a bit of a bitch and in the way.

LOL. temporary gear position indicator. ill have to figure out something creative when i build the console, or maybe ill have the muscle memory down by then.

drove it over to buddies place, idk 5miles? he wasnt home. but really i just wanted a safe destination. anyway drove it back. has a bit of rotational noise? couple are brake noises (go away under braking) but i have one i think is coming from the right rear that sounds a bit metal/metal..maybe a shield? maybe a shit axle bearing?... she started to get a bit warm (into the 200s with fans on). smoked off some header wrap, all that good stuff... i get back to my place, and she is pissing rust water everywhere...

just pissing out the bleed hole in the bottom of the pump. ok maybe a little dramatic, but it was leaking pretty good...

anyway. i guess ill have some fun trying to pull that damn water pump out... think i might start ordering some interior stuff also.

:Jew:

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #478 on: January 28, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »

Well at least it runs. Fucking weep hole is garbage!

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #479 on: January 28, 2019, 02:47:01 AM »

Well at least it runs. Fucking weep hole is garbage!

oh yeah dude. im calling this a win....until i feel the pain of pulling that water pump. and maybe paying for it. reviews on ACDelco "Professional" pump are not inspiring, seems they are just chinese shit and not actual OE quality GM/Delco pumps. ill call GM dealer tomorrow and get the scoop and my price. amazon is like 85 for china pump, 138+shipping on GM. there where zero of these style truck/vans at the JY last trip.

OH. also. i forgot i mutilated the pump on the car to delete heater... fittings will hit turbo shit. paying 140bucks for a pump then doing the same is going to hurt a bit.

RUNS = WIN
DRIVES = WIN
COLD START = WIN
WARM START = WIN
NO STALLS = WIN
LEAKING FLUIDS = PAR FOR COURSE... ::)

oh and to satisfy that urge, i did get a couple turbo flutters on the way back. some no bov win. turbo isnt 'talkative' at all otherwise. no whistle, no chirping...kinda a quite car actually...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up