NOVA?
- 3 (23.1%)
NOVA!
- 3 (23.1%)
?
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***fresh 4.great.... dyno numbers/video***  (Read 85676 times)

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated

does it run yet

good question! no.

i have been putting in 20min-2hr here and there. dialed in most the wiring it looks like. fuse box is all set. engine harness is set, engine bay/chassis harness is thinned out and set. i swapped to stock MII spindles (over the drops). i put the solid calvert bushings in the leafs (rubber bushings held water causing rust scale to build up, what a bitch). most importantly i decapped my injectors (2 sets) and sent them out... so i have no injectors. if i busted ass, and would have ordered HPTuners (didnt cause no injectors) i would be very short on excuses...

Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... will it run THIS YEAR? stay tuned...
« Reply #421 on: June 20, 2018, 03:15:08 AM »

so a bit of a no update for ya all...

i sent my injectors out.... USPS fuckin lost them. 2 sets of decapped injectors. so, yeah, kinda fucked on that at the moment. not sure what to do. im not going to spend 300bucks on injectors... last seen may25th/seattle (on the way to bowling green, KY).

i made a decision, and ordered some parts. hurts cause they are parts i already ordered, and shits not working...

i stared at the car for a bit, was hot as fuck in the garage so even that caused a sweat. and i made a new list. couple things to order, things to do, etc.

then i ordered parts from that list too.

changed mind again on wheels for various reasons, selling wheels i have, hopefully have them pending sale. if they sell (or my nitrous kit, or both) ill order wheels soon.

:?:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #422 on: June 27, 2018, 01:16:22 AM »

update?

ordered this stuff.

left to right: grant 3bolt hub, 3-6 bolt adapter, turbo oil feed line, 3bar map sensor, oil sender adapter to 1/4NPT (not running a factory sensor), x2 4AN fittings (one of which doesnt fit the turbo? nor 1/8), magnetic phone mount i got from work cause this guy keeps harassing us to sell them (too expensive) but sent us a freebie anyway. its magnetic on both sides, dash on Nova is metal ;)

did i post this?

my fuse box setup. ECU tucked under brake master on left. relay/fuse box i added for fuel pump/fans/aux/etc. and junctions for power/grounds

i also have different control arms (5/8th narrowed). hopefully those will work with the wheels i still havent ordered.

injectors are still MIA. i sent the missing package request online. got an auto response. been a week or two. went to post office they had different tracking results, but still lost. gave me a number to call, and she said it probably got damaged and sent to ATL along with confirming the other tracking info. said to file an insurance claim and wait. good luck.... right.

i took the rear lower seat out. ran fuel pump power/ground all nice. took the shocks out, pretty much no rebound. so ill order some of those. took the steering wheel back off, decided i dont like it. going a with a different setup.

OH, OPINIONS? im thinking of swapping the interior to GRAY over the aqua/turquoise color. i will try to look for a color sample, but its a light gray. more modern. just not sure how i feel about the blue paint on the dash/tops of doors, etc. im NOT going to paint that stuff. just not sure how it would look with gray interior?!?  guy at work said to just vinyl wrap it if it doesnt look right.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »

Looks good man!
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »

did i say that i regret ever taking this car apart? im a fuckin moron.

did some work today. had to take some shit apart to put shit together. fun. and broke some things. AWESOME.

i did center the rear end in the car, set the pinion angle. trans was down like 4.5, so rear went up the same (i dont think my floor is level). tacked the seats in place...ran out of wire...  ::)  went to homedepot, got 2 rolls this time. traffic was a fuckin shitshow everywhere i went, on a saturday. wtf? its not like im even in a big city. by the time i got back it was over 85 in my garage.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #425 on: July 15, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »

You had a Saturday off? Dude, I buy like 3 rolls of wire every tim I need to buy some for this exact reason. And I always keep a roll of flux wire just in case I run out of gas. Last time I went to get gas, I upgraded my bottle from a 40cf to a 80cf. It only cost an extra $7 to exchange a 80cf bottle vs. A 40cf. Dude at central welding kinda hooked me up. Bought my 40cf for "reatail" even though it was used and sold me the 80cf with free gas included....lmao it cost me like $60 or $80 to get the bigger bottle, but so worth it. Have only ever filled it once I think. And I've welded a lot of shit with it.
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #426 on: July 15, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »

You had a Saturday off? Dude, I buy like 3 rolls of wire every tim I need to buy some for this exact reason. And I always keep a roll of flux wire just in case I run out of gas. Last time I went to get gas, I upgraded my bottle from a 40cf to a 80cf. It only cost an extra $7 to exchange a 80cf bottle vs. A 40cf. Dude at central welding kinda hooked me up. Bought my 40cf for "reatail" even though it was used and sold me the 80cf with free gas included....lmao it cost me like $60 or $80 to get the bigger bottle, but so worth it. Have only ever filled it once I think. And I've welded a lot of shit with it.

fresh new schedule, promotion of sorts. i work monday-thursday now. my machine wastes a ton of wire loading it. actually i guess if i just temp loaded flux i would just pull it back out...and i have a fresh roll...anyway.
i have the 3ft tall bottle. think its the bigger one. i remember i talked myself into it as i had the coin on hand, and like you said ti really doesnt cost anything more to fill.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #427 on: July 16, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »

Ask if any of your gas suppliers cert.
I found a big bottle for dirt cheap that was out of cert, its probably 4 ft high?
It was only $25 to send off to cert, though it is a gamble if it doesn't pass.
I think i paid $15 for the bottle, so it was worth the risk.

I went for a 10 lb spool, tacked it onto some other order for free shipping.
I keep the spare roll of flux but Id bet id be too lazy to swap over the wires and reload the wire if I ran out lol.

At least you're making progress, keep it up.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #428 on: July 16, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »

Yeah, most gas suppliers around here just just charge you for cert if the bottle is outdated and swap it out. End of story. Think they just roll the dice with it.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #429 on: July 17, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »

Around here everyone talks like its a paperweight.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2018, 12:17:17 AM »

so i did some more small things. and didnt take a single pic.

dug around for way to long to find the rear brake line that i built. that really should have went in before the engine. but im betting i didnt put it in because i didnt want it on the passenger side. i rebent the shit out of it, fought a bunch, and now its on the drivers side. quick measurements, it looks like its going to be 2" too short. but ill need to install the rear brakes on the housing first.

i measured the angle of the trans. think it was 4.5* down... so i monkeyed with the rear end, squared it up off the body/fenders (as apposed to the springs), jacked it up till it had load a couple times, then randomly set it self to 4.5* or so up. win. tacked that fuck in place. got it shimmed back out (didnt want to remove the springs again or the gas tank.
burned those spring seats in good and solid. well good enough, they arent going anywhere.... in the process it slipped off the jack it was teetering on and the housing crushed my foot. hurts like shit, not swelling, so probably fine. but annoyed once again.

moved on to other mundane tasks to take my mind off that.

i bought an turbo oil adapter plate thing as the turbo doesnt seem to be drilled for 1/8 or 1/4. so put that fuck on.

some how the steering rack mount bushing on the drivers side is split, bulging, fuckered up. so i ordered some energy suspension bushings to replace those... started to take shit apart on that and realized that there is no easy swap there, and rack has to come out.... annoyed even more that shits broken on a car i havent even driven yet, foot hurts like shit, so i went for lunch...

again should have taken some pics. but i ordered:
steering rack bushings to replace fucked ones
new v-band clamp for cross over. to replace broken one
flex section to add to crossover that i probably should have done to begin with
new rear shocks, as the ones in the car looked OG, and didnt rebound. just $25 amazon monroe somethings.

how is my motivation turning to annoyance so damn quick with this car?...   :-\

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »

Sounds like it's getting really close. Just get that engine running and that'll give you motivation for the rest of the shit.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2018, 02:23:23 AM »

to fire off the engine all i really i need is my injectors, and hptuners. injectors are still about 2 weeks out. and i just dont want to drop 500-650bucks on hpt. other than that, just gas, coolant, oil, etc. oh and i need ground, starter and alternator cables. probably should get a battery that fits too.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #433 on: July 27, 2018, 11:49:33 PM »

MORE PARTS!... that pic is upside down...? anyway.
when i was setting up the battery tray/plan/whatever i wanted a smaller battery. i chose a group 51R. its pretty standard for Honda's, and i have done many of those. well, i didnt realize the battery tie down top was $25. didnt want to go to junkyard or nasty old one, so billet bracket off amazon. $13. think its the only billet piece in the engine bay? one of 2 on the car?... and couple of J hooks from my work.
new vband clamp for crossover thats broken already. going to add that flex while im at it.
"welding cable" off amazon, and some lugs. to make starter cable, alternator lead, couple of ground cables.
couple of new shocks. monroe blue somethings. idk. 20bucks or so each off amazon.

battery in her spot. interstate blem bought through work, cause im a cheapass.

I HAVE INJECTORS NOW!!! i posted up on the FB marketplace locally and a couple groups for stock truck injectors to replace the ones USPS lost. and dude just hooked me up. made me take the whole damn truck intake with hacked harness too lol. so i have a couple extra random spares now too. bonus. anyway decapped the injectors super quick and dirty like, and sent them USPS priority again. its cheap, quick, easy (automated machine after hours).
Eric Durr is an awesome guy, USPS loosing shit obviously not his fault (they lost them on the way to him the first time). took about 2 weeks or so as its not his full time job, and his name gets tossed around the sloppy group a lot, so he has a lot of work stacked up. but he called me to let me know whats up, texted me the tracking, etc. then sent them USPS priority back to me LOL.
think it was like 65-70bucks to have them flowed/cleaned/new orings/shipped.... and now i have a set of 78lbs injectors :)

what a cramped mess...

HPTuners!!! they updated there hardware, all new shit. no longer comes with credits. the discontinued all the old stuff, half implemented the new stuff. all seems kinda up in the air. good times... oh so no credits with it, credits cost the same.
$300 for this piece. $50 for each credit (need at least 2 for each car)

out of pics. but i did other stuff. i pulled the rack and replaced the steering bushings with energy suspension ones. i made starter, alternator, and 2 ground cables. bolted the battery in and trimmed the J bolts. i installed my new injectors.... probably some other stuff, its too damn hot out in the garage, outside, in my place...

:Jew:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #434 on: August 04, 2018, 01:05:13 AM »

wait.... what!?!?!?

well, in my quest to take apart everything after its put together because its already broken/fubar...

tail housing. TH400 yoke off amazon...

oh yeah so think back 2-3years now, when dude i bought the trans from said something about this trans coming out of some old ass truck (its not, as it has a slip yoke) or "maybe a 64 chevelle"... turns out, its a early ass th400. even after looking at yokes and what not, and noticing measurements, and 65+ noted on them, and a little voice in the back of my head.... but 'they are all the same' right? lol  (im a parts guy, people say that shit all the time)

after much searching for a small yoke that doesnt exist, looking at used/'reman' rear tail housings. i find a new one for less than what the small/wrong ones and shit 'remans' cost.

wait for it...

success! we have penetration...    :noel:

part number, etc.

that took way longer than it should have. or course a bolt that just came out wont go back in... i set the yoke in about half way, about 3/4" from bottomed out.
and btw, tech tip, left bottom bolt is shorter on that housing.

also when i was getting out from under the car, i was noticing that i have pretty good ground clearance of all the drive train.

anyway. i worked on buttoning up some more engine bay stuff. putting upper charge pipe to throttle body. tightening intake manifold down, torquing things down (like most of the fuel like fittings that where just a bit snug at best).

i might have few excuses as to why this shouldnt run this weekend...

oh. COOLANT? throw some water in there. green coolant, or some dexcool... its all empty, not running heater core.... or maybe im getting ahead of myself lol.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #435 on: August 04, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »

Sweet deal! I knew it would be starting b4 mine....lol

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »

ok.... RUNS BITCHZ!!!!  :-*

http://youtu.be/3jNfME16iFQ

not without issues though! lol.

so i fill her with ATF... just about a gallon or so, the trans pan fills up, then over flows. i guess the pan was just on there for show, not a single bolt torques. nice.

filled with oil. its an LS, so no leaks.

filled with water. seems ok. still adding.

filled with about 4gallons of gas. a challenge with stupid eco fuel cans. but got it all. no leaks..... until of course the fuel system pressurized and it was pissing under the car. looks like i got that handled.

had one or two wiring issues. one is im a dumbass, but no fire or blown fuses, so moving on... the other was, preventable? the way i had it wired would have worked, but i didnt wire that fuse block yet. probably should be going to my main relay. ECU wasnt turning on.

HP Tuners.... well. my trusty old tuning laptop...well is old as hell. and HPT declined that shit. so i went to store and bought the cheapest laptop they had. seems to meet there requirements. plus its pretty light and compact. and battery holds charge (old one didnt, ordered new battery on amazon, cancelled before shipping)
took some tinkering as i have no idea what the hell im doing. i have tuned cars before, kinda, but never HPT. had the no connectivity issue as stated above (tested with known good setup, aka the truck). grabbed tune off the sloppy wiki, compared files, realized i didnt know what i was doing. went back to stock file, licensed my vin/ecu/whatever, compared again, selected all, saved, wrote it.... queue the video above.

as im sure you can hear from the video, she is basically open header. so i need to fix/redo the crossover with that flex. then i will temp install the downpipe (to finish exhaust later) that should be fun, as it will be high 80s low 90s im sure for the next week+.
i ordered wheels. they should be here friday. i have plenty of rear tires i have been hording. but i need 2 fronts. i spent a bunch of money on HPT credits/laptop etc. so hopefully i have enough for tires and some wheel spacers, for next weekend.
also need to assemble the rear end and put it in. proabably need that to bolt on the wheels? should be fun.

it was 85* in the garage for all that... i hate the heat...the sun... im in PNW, not down for this weather...

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
Re: 1966 Chevy Nova mordor project... ***SHE RUNS!!!! true story w/video***
« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »

Fuck yeah man. Congrats! Way to knock that shit out!

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »

Hell yeah now you're on easy Street

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »

ok. work...

doesnt look like i posted this. but i think i did it before i started it. anyway. rear end all assembled. new shocks in, they came with hardware, which is good cause i only removed them a couple weeks ago, cant find the hardware at all. Caltrac's are in, need to be adjusted of course.

measured the driveshaft after i did that.

got it back this morning. cost too much, but looks good, and should be solid. new th400 yoke on one end, spicer joints, looks like 3" DOM steel. ford 8.8 flange on the other end.

picture of the stack of new wheels from the other pic. US MAG U111 Rambler's. 17x7 17x8... might pickup a set of 15x8 later for some fun ;)
fronts are 215-50-17 achillies ats something summer tires. rears are 235-45 burners from junk pile... and 6 more in spare bedroom ;)

OH SHIT! we have contact with the ground!!! its been like 2.5years of hover mode... looks like rear is a little lower that the front. was going to raise it, but buddy made a good point, it looks good low, have a front suspension issue still. so ill take a little off the front coils to even it. but i wanna roll it outside to balance it and check it some more.

looking good, aside from pissing some rust water from who the hell knows where? i dont see any leak.

i have about 5.25" from crossmemeber to ground. so plenty of clearance. and in the rear i have about 2" from caltracs.

tomorrow im hoping to get her outside. i need to put steering wheel on, pull the front bench, put some buckets in, mount shifter... then probably swap all the front suspension again.
i need to fix the exhaust crossover, and maybe do some stuff with the downpipe/exhaust, but i dont have much material (or mufflers/resonator).

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2018, 12:19:16 AM »

Looks good dude!

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #441 on: August 25, 2018, 08:07:46 PM »

Damn those wheels look super good. Everything is so clean and fancy.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #442 on: August 27, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »

sweet! I agree those wheels look killer on it
92GSR - mild interest

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #443 on: August 27, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »

thanks guys. i really liked my old wheels for whatever reason. but they wheels look so much better. i think the lowness helps also. i really need to get it outside, wanna see it in the light and take another step back.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »

work?

oh shit? where is the Nova?

outside bitchez.

then, obviously some cleaning was in order. and organizing the garage a bit. oh and taking all the shit off the top of the Nova lol.

well, the hood is still up there. but cleaned the garage a bit. make spot for the 4wheeler to go behind the Nova so i dont have to drag the damn thing outside to work on or pull the nova out. also put the rear tires on furniture dollies.

i was swapping front suspension around again. and i still might make some changes. maybe the drop spindles back on, maybe just trim the springs a hair more

oh, couple side notes:

spun the shaft right out the valve?... i was told shortly after posting this on the FB, that i am NOT suppose to be using the impact on shocks to remove the top nut...who knew? yes i did impact the other side after being told this.  ::)

and the other day i thought to myself after putting some grounds on the front core support, and noticing the right rear taillight socket just laying in the trunk to to a light check... right rear blinker was inop.

wait...what? both stop/turns are newer 00ish+ GM sockets... odd. anyway, all working now.

lol, my 'new' steering wheel. stock one had cracks, horn ring broken... bought some blue/aqua muscle car one that i kinda liked. but was big, and wrong color... i still have this from previous project and is probably my favorite wheel of all time (i have had 2 the exact same as this, 1 similar, and one that was a MOMO like this but still felt like cheap chinese knockoff shit)

complete with quick release.

this weekends project was....well several things. but mainly to roll the car outside to see some natural light, and to pull the front bench seat out. after swapping the the smaller steering wheel i felt way more comfortable in the bench, but the springs and whatnot suck. feel like im falling towards the door, etc. so buckets. i picked these up at the JY a month or so back.

wow, sun is ruining my pics. 

i put the tabs in a way that they shouldnt interfere with the bench seat mounts if i feel the need to put that back in.
also, with the seating position that i prefer (front a bit higher than the rear) this worked out better. and with the seat in a comfortable spot for me its in mid adjustment on the slides. im 5'7" with short legs. but if you where 4'11" or 6'7" i bet you could find a good spot.... but you cant drive my car, so piss off. ;)  oh, and good head room, and elbow out the window no problem. super happy how it turned out.

seats are 94-97 Acura Integra. some of my favs. 90-01 are all pretty similar. later ones had leather, and more adjustment knobs (also sit a bit higher, and firmer foam). they look fine with the headrest left off too... these are mechanical, dont think any where power.

whats stopping her from being drive able? probably some tuning, need to fix/install exhaust crossover. bleed brakes. install shifter (was waiting to place drivers seat for this)... oh and i need to figure out the kickdown, neutral switch, vac modulator.
probably another year or so to go....

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:19 PM »

so i just watched this... and the first 25seconds or so are pretty much how i start a day working on the Nova... pretty much should be the intro to every post i have made in the last year+

http://youtu.be/2DhvNc5Js08

::)

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2018, 09:53:21 PM »

Light years ahead of mine. Your pretty close though. At least it runs.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #447 on: September 09, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »

built that odd looking thing today. pretty much same as seat mounts. bent up some 16g sheet, tacked some nuts to the back side. bent, hammered, welded to the floor.

shifter is from a third gen camaro. and if its not obvious from the height of the shifter, i plan on building a console around it. thats why i mounted it so high. also seemed most comfortable there.

worked on some other stuff, but not pics of completion. broke another vband clamp. got pissed. dont remember where i bought these, but they are obviously shit. and the one replacement that i ordered a while back seems to be too small. so im super excited about all that. maybe ill get the crossover fixed eventually.

also i put brake fluid in it a week or two ago in hopes of bleeding the system, but with it being completely empty system it was being a bitch, so i just put it aside. the right front has been leaking since. tried again to tighten the fittings. seems to be not leaking, but i guessing it all needs redone on the right front.

anyway. drivers seat, steering wheel, shifter all setup. big win to me. as thats where ill be spending my time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:35:53 PM by turbohf »

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2018, 11:12:01 PM »

PROGRESS!

:'(

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2018, 03:06:38 PM »

What happened? Did an exhaust bolt go in to the after jacket in the head? I'm cornfused
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up