:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ramhorn wastegate size  (Read 3549 times)

DSharp

Ramhorn wastegate size
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »

Turns out my old wastegate setup won't cut it with all my recent upgrades.  Now the exhaust flows very well and the wastegate just will not keep up.  I have a hy35 and a ramhorn manifold.  I'm gonna cut up my collector and add a large pipe for a big gate.  Question is how big do I go for?  Go ahead and put a 60mm if it fits and be done with it?  I want to be able to dump back in the down pipe and control boost without creep.  Basically I don't want to have to fuck with this car much after this... I just want it to work.  I got a awd dsm that needs to be built, and I don't think I'll care much about the honda once I get into that project.
No escape from the mass mind rape

carkrazed

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
Re: Ramhorn wastegate size
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »

I don't see why a 38mm wastegate, if placed correctly, wouldn't be big enough.

How is the wastegate setup now? 

DSharp

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »

Decent size turbo making lots of flow at relatively low boost, harder to control than a standard honda civic setup for many reasons I won't go into at the moment.  It's a standard ram horn design, nothing special there. 

carkrazed

• Certified OG
  • RHMT
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:41:33 PM »

Decent size turbo making lots of flow at relatively low boost, harder to control than a standard honda civic setup for many reasons I won't go into at the moment.  It's a standard ram horn design, nothing special there.

Well, if it means anything. I ran an HY35 on a BP, top mount mani with a 44mm wastegate with no issues. I was running like 28lbs though. I could understand getting creep with a 4g63 and hy35 if your trying to run like 8-10 lbs.  Bigger is probably better if that's the case. Ching chong 60mm

DSharp

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

The 38 used to work great when I had plenty of back pressure in the exhaust and a open dump

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »

VS racing 44mm gate should be enough. I didnt have issues with the hx35 and a 44mm gate.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

DSharp

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »

Im tempted just to jump to the biggest i can fit, im not trying to do this again.  Really just doing it for the sound at this point, open dump sounds so rice

DSharp

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »

Might try a 44mm before i go hack up the manifold for as big dump tube.  Then again i might just put a fork in it and enojy the car at 15 psi spiking to 18 psi boost cut at redline, as it is now.  hell injectors are getting close to 80% as is, so there not much more I can get until id have to buy a bunch of parts anyways.

right now I taper my wastegae duty cycle down to 0 over the last 1,000 rpms or so and it still climbs to 18.  Manifold favors the turbo and now the exhaust flows well... might just accept it and move on.

DSharp

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »

New 44mm gate holds boost perfectly all the way to rev cut.  I might try to tie it back into my exhaust again but with my luck it would make it start to creep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up