:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorcycle Helmets  (Read 3297 times)

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
Motorcycle Helmets
« on: May 15, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »

Starting my riding class next week and still haven't got around to buying gear, Since I know alot of you already ride I'd like to get an idea of a good helmet to buy myself as a starter something that is a good buy
since I'm worried about face planting, looking to get a full mask to start, then when my comfort level on the bike goes up, ill move on to open face

I know there was a thread about different styles and pros/cons of helmets on the ohmt but don't think it was transferred here

post up
ride or die - smoke &ampamp fly
What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.

Kenny Rogers

• Certified OG
  • I was raised on the dairy, bitch
Re: Motorcycle Helmets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »

Get one that's DOT and Snell approved... Full face is the way to go, those 3/4 things (skull buckets) just don't offer enough protection.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »

If your just starting and want a basic full face. I would look at the HJC's in the $99 range, they are about the cheapest ones you can find that are DOT / SNELL approved. Be careful as the super cheap HJC's are only DOT approved. Get something basic like black or white. After you are committed to riding, and want to spend the coin, you have tons of options, and will have more of an idea of what you like. Also that cheap one will be a good spare.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Kenny Rogers

• Certified OG
  • I was raised on the dairy, bitch
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

Also, check craigslist... as long as the helmet wasn't involved in a wreck, a used one will still be fine. 

skinnye

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:41:17 PM »

I have an hjc right now, I use to have really nice fulmer but it didn't fit right.  I usually wear a full face but from everyonce in awhile I'll put on my old 70's 3/4 face or my chrome nazi helmet.  Stick to neutral colors, cause if your like me you'll tend to get different bikes and or own multiple bikes at once.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:06:41 PM »

If your just starting and want a basic full face. I would look at the HJC's in the $99 range,

+eleventybillion

hjc makes a damn fine brain bucket. i use them for the streetbike, dirtbike, and snowmobile.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »

hjc is a good cheap helmet. i have a buell helmet now but the hjc i wore and liked until got wore out
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

Dont buy any thing that says Buell or HD on it  :?:

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »

I just got a new Shoei X-11:

Its a nice helmet but it retails for like $600.00  :?:  I have a large HJC if you want to buy it.  The only difference between the two is the Shoei is a little ligher, quieter but much more areodynamic. 

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 06:30:36 PM »

i use my hjc in the dirt
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

bigwig

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »

HJC is the best bang for the buck beginner helmet.  Do not buy used.  If a helmet is dropped over 2'(I believe that is the figure) the helmet is worthless and should be thrown out.  Not the risk I would take to save $25.  I use a HJC daily full faced.  It fits okay.  It was cheap.  It works.  I'm tempted to buy something better now that I've been riding for over a year, but I'm still a cheap ass.

xpert787

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:43:27 PM »

I've had a scorpion helmet for a while, I paid about 160 for it, really good airflow through it for summer time, but in the winter it sucks ass for the same reason. Oh and also, go and try on the helmet you are looking to get, the guys at the motorcycle shop should be able to help you find the right size, each brand is a bit different so you have to try it on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:45:09 PM by xpert787 »

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

i know ill have to shop around and try them on before i commit, the local shop down my street just burnt down, im guessing was some insurance scam, so ive been looking for other places to shop, ive got another about 30 min away with more models then anywhere else, which ill try to visit tomorrow

ive been reading reviews online, Shoei RF1000 and Arai Renegade are good and comfortable,
they say you spend on a helmet what you think your skull is worth, so to err on the side of caution since ill be starting out i dont mind dishing out cash to protect my cranium

900s

• blew george and harveys brains out with my sixgun
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:03:19 PM »

I've got a cheap Icon Alliance SSR, only $120 shipped from www.newenough.com. Shop around on there, they've got some killer deals. It does the job, but after only a year it just feels kinda chinsy. If you can swing it, get a nice helmet. And if you've got insurance on your bike (or will) you can usually get accessory coverage. My comp/collision plan comes with it included, so up to $2k worth of gear is covered if I go down. Makes me wish I could afford that much gear...

Whatever you get make damn sure it fits right. It shouldn't be able to wiggle around on your head at all, unless you can feel your scalp wiggling with it. You don't want your head bouncing around inside the helmet when it hits the ground...shit don't feel good.

unofficial brokenog

Adam Hopkins

• Peyton Manning
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »

I am going to have to go with a scorpion also. My dad used to run a motorcycle shop and IMHO Scorpion is the best bang for the buck as far as entry level helmets.

Not everyone can be baller like Whitey. Nice fucking helmet man. I guess if your going to spend money on protection your brain would be a good investment.

fishinfool88

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »

I used to run a Shoe-rf1000, but switched to a scorpion exo700 for the summer.  Now I'll never go back.  Anti-fog lens, amazing airflow, and the comfort is amazing once broken in for about 4-6 hours.  I had a nasty accident where I was rear ended wearing one, and I've since retired it to the garage wall.  A new one cost me 120 on fleabay, much better than the 300 I payed for the Shoei I don't use anymore.

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 02:27:15 AM »

Shoei x-11.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 02:31:43 AM »

oh yeah with my scorpion has never fogged, even at night when its cold as shit driving down the road with marsh on both sides. the little 'skirt' that covers your chin is a must buy accesory though and makes the helmet super quiet almost no wind noise
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »

Full face ftw:

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »

well i got one, ckx RR777 slider came out to 140 canadian
was the best fit overall and i tried on quite a few

salesmonkey

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 07:44:30 PM »

Full face ftw:

holy fuck, i got the cheapest half helmet money could buy. 20$. ill eventually get one a little better. but safety is for pussys and non-jews.
rhmt for life

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »

All depends how much you think your head is worth

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »

now all i need is a good jacket and boots

5thgenlx

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 11:15:59 PM »

dont skimp on the helmet. full face always. do you wanna look cool or not have a jaw? i prefer having a jaw. it is the thing that saves you're life 99% of the time you dump your bike. as long as its DOT approved you're good.

Logan76

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »

ftw

turbogeek

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »

jap bitches: for when no other cumdump will do the sick thing you just thought of
Pages: [1]   Go Up