:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel and tire decision...  (Read 2074 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Wheel and tire decision...
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »

Ok, I'm trying to figure out what wheels and tires I'm gonna run on this mazda. I have a set of factory 14x6" wheels for it with corded skinny tires sitting in the garage. On the car I have a new set of gay motegi 15" wheels with some old Yokohama ES100 225-50's that are about gone. I hate these and want to get rid of them.

I want to keep this car a sleeper, so I would REALLY LIKE to keep OEM wheels on it, preferably the 14's just to keep it that much more OEM (my car is a base model, and came with factory 14's). 15" OEM wheels were also available in 99' (look just like 14" wheels, just an inch bigger, optional upgrade or found on the LS model), but they're fucking EXPENSIVE to find used. And I already have a perfect set of factory 14's.

Problem is I can't find shit for tires for 14's. I found some BFG drag radials for 135 each on tirerack. But I don't know if those would last 200 miles or 2000 or 5000 or what? Perhaps I could run a pair of drag radials on the back and something that last a bit longer on the front? Is there some better tire sites besides tirerack? Their search engine fucking SUCKS!

factory 14's
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee155/patsmx5/mycar1-1.jpg

Wheels on the car now.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee155/patsmx5/100_1995-1-1-1-1.jpg
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

5thgenlx

• Certified OG
Re: Wheel and tire decision...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:37:46 PM »

personally i've always stuck to kumho's. for the price they are awesome. never had a complaint on them. treadwear is good, when i buy the high performance tires they perform great. i've tried a few other brands and for the price, kumho's rock. if price isn't an issue, then yeah there are better tires, but you'll be paying double

for the 225/50/15's you've got a few choices and they're all around 100 a pop except the ast's. hankook ventus rs2, bfgoodrich gforce sports, some yoko avid t4's and the sumitomo htr200s.

for those stock 14's, you've got a few options. Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position,  General Altimax HP and those sumitomo's htr200's again are the only ones i'd recommend you looking into

what do you want, summer, all season, need a little more info here. and tirerack owns you, found 15 sets of tires for your wheels in 15 seconds.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »

I want good sticky summer tires. Something as good or, preferably, better than these yokohama ES100s.

What sucks is they don't make a tall sticky tire for a 14" wheel. These yokohama tires on the 15's are like 25" tall IIRC, where my factory size tires on the 14's are like 22" tall. I'd like something that was 26-27" tall for the rear at least, as the stock gearing sucks and a taller tire would help. But there isn't shit for 14" tires.

There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

5thgenlx

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »

conveniently 14" tires are cheap as fuck. pick a set, try it, if it don't work try another one. i mean shit most of them are under 50 a pop. read the reviews.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »

The tires on the car now have a treadwear of 280, traction AA, temperature A. And they suck. I would like something better. So yeah there's a lot of 400+ treadwear tires in 14" sizes. I'd like a 26-27" tall tire that's sticky as hell and fits a 14" wheel.  But I don't think it exist in a 14, maybe a 15 though. But then I'd have to pay out the ass for a set of factory 15s.

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »

if your looking for long lasting tires stay away from falken azines RT 615. 1 set of my wheels have khumo ecsta i cant complain there not the best but byfar not the worst
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

5thgenlx

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »

so basically as long as you listen to what was said ^ you'll be fine

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »

personally i've always stuck to kumho's. for the price they are awesome. if price isn't an issue, then yeah there are better tires, but you'll be paying double

/thread

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »

you are a stupid peice of queerbait shit if you do not go buy and mount falken azenis rt615s right now

they blow piece of shit kumhos out of the water, just look at the two fucking tires side by side... i switched both my fwd turbo car and rwd turbo car from kuhmos 711s or some other shit (their performance tire) and it was night and day...
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:41:55 PM »

you are a stupid peice of queerbait shit if you do not go buy and mount falken azenis rt615s right now

they blow piece of shit kumhos out of the water, just look at the two fucking tires side by side... i switched both my fwd turbo car and rwd turbo car from kuhmos 711s or some other shit (their performance tire) and it was night and day...

you're clearly considering treadwear, right?

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »

sure fucker, i had well over 20k on my rear falkens when I sold the car
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

joel

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »

For track on my Miata, I run stock Daisy 14's with Nitto NT01 205s. On the street I have XXR 513s front 16x7 +15offset , Rear is a 16x8 0offset with Hankook Ventus HRII 215-40s cuz they were cheap. They are taking a fucking beating from my fenders rubbing on them and still tunring out to be a solid tire.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »

sure fucker, i had well over 20k on my rear falkens when I sold the car

just so we're clear, would that be the rwd or fwd turbo car?

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:22:39 PM »

You should sling those 15"s this way.

If this is a DD too I would consider two sets of tires. I have always run Kumho Ecsta or Falken Ziex, but never needed them for track purposes. Rock some "chrome" dub caps with drag radials.
Pages: [1]   Go Up