:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A/C makes civic run/idle rough and sometimes car dies WTF?  (Read 5182 times)

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES

not sure what would be makeing this happen but when the a/c is turned on the car will sometimes run OK. but if you shut the a/c off the car runs like crap and wants to die also when the a/c is turned off you can hear a wearied pressure noise coming from under the dash. but we been driving around with the fuse pulled out and it will run fine until we put the fuse back in but i dont know what could be makeing this happen any ideas.......
i already checked the pressure in the low side of the system and it needed r-134a so i put some in to top it off and now it runs worse with more r134a in it..but i dont know. :-\ oh and its a 99 civic w/the d16y7 THANKS------------------- O0
stock b20-vtec + 342hp 247wtq = NO TRACTION

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
Re: A/C makes civic run/idle rough and sometimes car dies WTF?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »

You need to look at the high side, system may be restricted making it look low.  By adding too much refrigerant, you overloading the compressor and pushing the high side pressure through the roof.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »

yea we added a couple cans and everything seemed fine then my girl was like  put one more can in so we did and her compressor started overloading with pressure and it was spraying out of the compressor(must be a pressure valve or something on their) it was also blowing out of the vents so we shut the car off and released some pressure from the system. now everything is good again cold air and all but its still doing the idle problem and want to die out... but i dont know whats up with it and most of us on here are TURBO so we dont have air and ive never seen this kind of problem with a/c before.. but oh well she can deal with it ;) THANKS

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »

You need a guage set.  Find someone that has one

Pressure relief's are generally rated for 350PSI or so.  Depending how hot it is outside, like 80f usually you want to see around 45psi low side, 180psi high side.  The hotter it is, the higher the pressure will be. 

Also, did the refrigerant you added contain oil?  Had the system been empty for any length of time?  Moisture and incorrect oil amounts will also greatly affect performance of the A/C.  They will also affect compressor life.

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:51:42 PM »

hmmmm ok i'll check those out but yea the cans had the oil in them

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »

Your probably to have too much oil in the system. 

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:51 PM »

so to fix that should i re-drain all the free-on out and just refill it again. so do you think that that is what is makeing the pressure noise we hear and what might be making it idle rough ?

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »

When the refridgerant runs through the expansion valve/orfice tube, it will hiss.  If it lasts more than about 10 seconds, its likely restricted and will need replacement. 

Easiest way to remove excess oil is change out your drier (do not add oil) or remove the compressor, tip it up and allow to drain.  Replace only about 1/2-1 20oz drink cap full of oil in the compressor.   However after you open the system to the atmosphere, you must pull a 28"Hg+ vacuum on it to remove air and moisture.  Also, you cannot have the system open long because the dessicant in the drier will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and make it useless for absorbing any remaining moisture that the vacuum may not have removed.

Most a/c leaks do not leak much oil from the system.  Personally, I never add oil, unless I replace a component of the system.

Just letting it out will not remove oil, unless you take a line off or something that will create a high flow situation to suspend and carry the oil out.

If the compressor is overworked by an incorrectly serviced system, it will cause idle issues, especially on small displacement engines

jhonda

• BOATS-n-HOES
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »

WOW,,,ur the A/C master ;D thanks for the info i'll mess with it some tomorrow and let u know what happens  :noel:

BoostForLife

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:05 AM »

Whenever I get a car with A/C, I take that shit out and sell it.
I don't need A/C in WA.
Pages: [1]   Go Up