:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 98' Nissan Sentra Engine Problems  (Read 4975 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
98' Nissan Sentra Engine Problems
« on: June 04, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »

I've got a 98' nissan sentra with a 1.6L I'm working on. Just put a new (used eighty something thousand mile) engine in it, new clutch, motor mounts, etc. Fired right up, but it's making a bad noise. Coming from the timing chain end of the valve cover. I had the valve cover off and I noticed the chain had a lot of slack in it. What I've read suggest the tensioner is probably bad.

I've tried searching for some nissan sentra forums but I'm not finding shit. I wanna read up and make sure this is the timing chain that's making all this noise, and hopefully find a writeup or something explaining how to fix this. I just need the noise to go away.  :noel: Hoping I don't have to pull the fucking motor to fix this. So if anyone could post some links to good forums or anything that would help it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

nig nog

• rhmt equalizer
Re: 98' Nissan Sentra Engine Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »

pdftown.com has some good manuals.  can a faggot figure out how to use them or not?
1991 F-150 351W E-cam hedders
1988 Merkur XR4ti .50 T3/T4
2003 S2000

txdohczc

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »

the problem is it is a nissan. if it already has a 1.6 then fucking put  real engine in it like a d16y7

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:46:50 PM »

the problem is it is a nissan. if it already has a 1.6 then fucking put  real engine in it like a d16y7
You don't understand. I just need it to run and not make any bad noises. When it does this, it will be sold. I wouldn't drive the car for the problem you correctly diagnosed.

what's the niko forum I hear about? How is it spelled?
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:52 PM »

My nissan buddy is always talken about shit chain tenioners and worn chain guides....   Does it have two chains in there....

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »

sr20fourm.com
Thats the only one that comes to mind; but there re tons of them.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »

Back from the dead...

I got that noise fixed, it was a worn out timing chain tensioiner causing the chain to bounce around and hit the head. I JB-welded it where it had worn grooves in the plastic piece. Been running for about 4k miles and so far, no noise.

After a while, it started falling apart again, and I had to put a diff. battery, oil pan gasket, front main seal, water pump, valve cover gasket, and some other shit too. Now it seems to not leak anything, but it doesn't idle right.

Cranks up fine when cold, but if you go drive it and push the clutch in to stop, the engine oscillates up and down from like 2500 - 800. Does this till it's mostly warmed up, then it stops.

Also, the power surges at low RPMs/high load. Lug the engine and it falls flat, then picks up, repeat. I think this may be because the timing chains are worn out though, but i dunno. Any ideas?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »

Those things are famous for carboning up the TB and causing idle problems.  Not a very well designed PCV.

For the low end power pulsation, sounds lean or like closed loop is still functioning.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »

Alright, well it's got the original PCV valve, and I don't think I've ever cleaned the TB on it, can't remember on that. I'll try cleaning that and changing the PCV valve. A nissan buddy of mine (who has a 240) said the idle valve could be dirty, so I took it apart, but it looked fine. Cleaned it, but it made no difference.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:08 PM »

Ah, cold idle surge.  Should be pretty easy to fix with some service literature.  If it's like the ~5 year older cars, there are two "idle" valves, one is a slightly ineffectual IACV and the other a bleed solenoid intended for extra air when cranking and probably (this is a SWAG - Stupid Wild Ass Guess - based on nothing) cold high idle on some cars. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up