:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I buy a motor for my 91' Cressida?  (Read 5120 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Should I buy a motor for my 91' Cressida?
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »

Ok, I've got a 91 Toyota Cressida with 170K on it. Car belonged to a friend of mine two years ago and it was a PERFECT car back then. Ran perfect, drove like a dream, it was great. Then the 7MGE engine went to leaking oil, then pouring oil, then his dad ran it out of oil and the motor knocks like a son of a bitch. It sat in their background till one day a tree branch fell on it and assassinated the drivers side rear door. Got the car for free and drove it home.  O0 Put a door on it. Needs to be painted to match, but otherwise it has a 9.5/10 body on it. Never wrecked. Interior's a 9/10.

But it knocks like a bitch. I'm looking on ebay and I can have a JDM Madd TyTe engine shipped to my friends business address for 650 and the motor has a 6 month unlimited mileage warranty. Motor's are supposedly 40-60k mile engines.

Thinking about buying one and then buying an engine gasket set for it. Put all new seals, gaskets, etc, then swap it in. This is a car I wanna keep forever. No plans to ever sell it. It will be a summer car to drive when the mazda's blown up or down or whenever. Just a nice, decent 6 cylinder rear wheel drive 4 door.

So...... What would you do?
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
Re: Should I buy a motor for my 91' Cressida?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »

JZTE it, never look back

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »

JZ swaps are expensive, time consuming, and would require me to do a bunch of shit to make it work. I can't do that right now. Either the car sits broke down needing an engine for another year or I find a 7MGE and put it in. This will be a daily driver car, not a hot rod.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:44 PM »

7M's are decent.  Had one with 280K killed it by hydrolocking it.  bone stock 32MPG, 16.5 sec quarter in an 86.5 supra

They do have HG issues though

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »

What I've read is that the head bolts aren't torqued properly from the factory. And if the gasket's not blown, retorquing the bolts fixes the issue. Either way, I'll be buying an engine gasket set, so pulling the head and putting a new HG isn't out of the question.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

Retorque dosent fix it, it just holds it together longer.  I was told to retorque every 40k miles by a toyota tech.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »

Well, I don't know shit about toyotas. But......................... Would I be fucking up to spend 650 on a new motor shipped? I've been looking for a motor at the local yards for a year now, and they're almost impossible to find. I'm basically gonna have to buy an engine from someone, and no matter what I would expect to pay 500+ for an engine already pulled. So 650 seems good to me, especially if it's 60K mile or less. I do wonder if they're really that low mileage.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »

SOunds good, as long as they pay labor if its fucked up

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:28:46 PM »

also, check http://www.car-part.com  they may have some decent deals

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »

I do wonder if they're really that low mileage.

After almost 20 years of falling for that line, someone finally wonders?

random-strike

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:34:52 AM »

Buy a brick to put on the gas and point it towards a cliff. Itll never make the power you want and its gay
Double doors, marble floors, naked hoes around me

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:42:04 AM »

TACO12 KIT

Turkey soup pancakes sir

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:41 AM »

there is a big supra guy in town, he had a dd supra with a 7mgte making liek 400 hp pretty sweet.

ShoofIsLudin

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 03:13:16 AM »

I say replace the motor with the $650 motor.  Just swap it, and if the ride gets boring either boost it or spray it with a little something.

I've always wondered if the miles stated were the actual mile range for the motors.  I've heard that when they hit a certain km, the car has to be junked or taxed because of the emissions it'd produce from being broken in lol
This was heard from a ricer, so i'm on the fence.  It's plausible, but i just don't know   :mexi:

colt45

• Mista Pimpsta
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »

yes you should

chris

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »

I do wonder if they're really that low mileage.

After almost 20 years of falling for that line, someone finally wonders?

Conserding I do this stuff for a living most of the very old stuff is not from japan but from other parts of Asia.

The type r's which are 96+ motors are running between 55-85k from what Im seeing from the front clips

a 20 year old motor is most likely from China,Phillipines or if it does have the mileage they claim has sat for 15 years

The rule in Jap land is as the cars gets older registartion fees increase to the point that keeping the car is worthless. Has nothing to do with mileage.

All the really old motors have alot of miles but since people want to hear it ya JDM motors have like 5000 miles and run perfect

NOT

Its a 20 year old used motor take it for what it is KIDS

That Guy

• Fast and danger
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:14:48 AM »

i had an 84 cressida with no rust on it, sat in an old ladys carport for years cause of a really noisy diff, i wrecked it a week after i bought it hitting a patch of black ice followed by another toyota. ...was the nicest car i have ever owned :-[

fuck you more harder and with bigger letters.

93 Four Door  D16A6 SRP Eagle bottom, Factory rebuild up top. --->gtgtSplit fucking cylinder 1. detonation, you whore Welcome to the house that hate buil

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 09:25:46 AM »

Just ask me how much hate I have for the 7M series.  Its runs deep. 

Sell that bitch to some supra faggots for more than its worth, and buy a honda.  7m is the worst motor Toyota ever built, there arent any left that havent already blown head gaskets.  The "factory fix" was a different headgasket design withthe same torque spec.  Fail. 
The chances of you finding a 7m that wasnt poorly repaired hg are slim.  Your turbo miata would be more reliable than that bitch. 

blowoff valves are for pussies.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:19 AM »

I would beg to differ the  4e, 5e and early 4alc's were the worst one I had the miss fortune to work on.

5m and 7m I found to be alright motors but the toyota was not up to speed with the electronics to keep motor running.

Just keep 20w-50 oil in the 7m and you will not problems with lubrication.

The M's are some of the smoothest running I6 I ever messed with.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:07 AM »

I would beg to differ the  4e, 5e and early 4alc's were the worst one I had the miss fortune to work on.

5m and 7m I found to be alright motors but the toyota was not up to speed with the electronics to keep motor running.

Just keep 20w-50 oil in the 7m and you will not problems with lubrication.

The M's are some of the smoothest running I6 I ever messed with.

4e's dont pop hg's if you look at em funny.  They just leak oil till they leave you on the side of the road.  :P

Toyota's electronics still arent up to par.

Try actually making some power with a 7m for any lenth of time. I measure them in reference to rotaries.  :P

The oil issues run deeper than just the oil weight (your statement is on par with the issues though).

I6 design is inherently a balanced smooth running engine. 7m's just dont make enough power to let you feel it through that fat fucking heavy chassis that is the supra or for that matter, cressida.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »

I think he said he wanted it to remain stock, the 7m should be ok with proper care

Personally, I'd atleast 1jz it

Loki

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 11:44:49 AM »

I'd just get the $650 motor, put ARP head bolts or studs in it and then if you get bored na-t it. Na-t is easy and more fun then a stock GTE. That's what's in my car and it was more fun then the GTE ever was. I need to get that junker running again  :(

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:15 PM »

Buy the motor, get it running good, then sell it. Those cars are ugly as shit IMO.

chris

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »

sell car

Buy honda accord

fysh

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »

Replace the motor with something God intended it to have, LQ9.

NoPistons!

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

JZ swaps are expensive, time consuming, and would require me to do a bunch of shit to make it work. I can't do that right now. Either the car sits broke down needing an engine for another year or I find a 7MGE and put it in. This will be a daily driver car, not a hot rod.

BS.

7mge is garbage.

1jz.  You can run a r154 7mte transmission, JZ bellhousing and probably use your existing driveshaft.  You can make mounts for the transmission and motor mounts, this is a fairly common swap in cressidas.  You can pick up a 1jz/2jz for a cool $850-1100.   That's with wire harness, both turbos....pretty much everything you need.  If you want to swap in a 7m, which is weaksauce compared to a jz.....go for it but you're talking out of your ass if you think swapping in a 2jz is too much money.  Under $3k you can have it done if you're not a retard.  Then you'll have 4 doors of terror and fun wishing you had done it sooner.  Daily the miata.  Cressida is WIN.

BTW, cressida's are bad ass.   Selling this to buy a fwd understeering whore of a honda is just stupid.  Anyone who suggests that has fucking down syndrome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:36:05 PM by NoPistons! »

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 01:56:31 PM »

BS.

7mge is garbage.

1jz.  You can run a r154 7mte transmission, JZ bellhousing and probably use your existing driveshaft.  You can make mounts for the transmission and motor mounts, this is a fairly common swap in cressidas.  You can pick up a 1jz/2jz for a cool $850-1100.   That's with wire harness, both turbos....pretty much everything you need.  If you want to swap in a 7m, which is weaksauce compared to a jz.....go for it but you're talking out of your ass if you think swapping in a 2jz is too much money.  Under $3k you can have it done if you're not a retard.  Then you'll have 4 doors of terror and fun wishing you had done it sooner.  Daily the miata.  Cressida is WIN.

BTW, cressida's are bad ass.   Selling this to buy a fwd understeering whore of a honda is just stupid.  Anyone who suggests that has fucking down syndrome.

This.

BUT I DON'T WANT A HOTROD CRESSIDA
I just want it to run, and daily it. I've got a turbo miata I can drive if I wanna go fast. The cressida was free, and I have no plans of dropping 3K in just to get it running.

NoPistons!

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

280hp is hardly a hotrod.

That's fine though..... 

Now i think you should get rid of it and buy a honda.  You lack vision and ambition.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 02:12:53 PM »

280hp is hardly a hotrod.

That's fine though..... 

Now i think you should get rid of it and buy a honda.  You lack vision and ambition.
I don't want a honda. I have no ambition to make the car fast. I have enough project cars. If I wanted to do a badass swap I wouldn't start with a 170K fucking mile Cressida.

Probably ordering an engine soon.  ;)

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »

Cressida is WIN.

Disagree with you there rotard.  Cressida are fat fucking heavy pigs that make supras look like ballet dancers on the street.  They get piss poor fuel mileage, and it takes significantly more power to make them move like a supra (which is already too heavy).  

Your comment about fwd understeering lends me to believe you dont fully understand suspension dynamics.  You seriously prefer this cressida handling wise over a honda? What sort of crack are you smoking?  Have you ever actually been to an autocross and watched the stock motor hondas whoop ass on sti's and evo's?  For every "good" handling rx7 you produce, there will be 3 honda's that will go faster, and turn in harder than you.  

What this boils down to is cost/dollar.  If the amount of money it takes to get this cressida running + cost of ownership (fuel, parts, etc.) exceeds the projected cost of owning something that will run forever (fwd honda anyone?) then it isnt worth it.  Not when he could sell the car to some supra wankers for $1000+ blown up and make a quick buck.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up