News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS??  (Read 5235 times)

88dx

• Certified OG
GPS??
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »

what kind of GPS's are u nigglets using? I need one probably a handheld one unless the others are way cheaper. What should i look for? Do i have to pay updates? Free empty Keystone Ice cans to anyone with useful info :noel:

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
Re: GPS??
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »

Get a fancy cellphone, most of them have built in GPS now.
92GSR - mild interest

buk9tp

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:43:15 AM »

yeah but its shitty as fuck and if your in an area without 3g your fucked... dont ask me how i know this :?:

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »

yeah but its shitty as fuck and if your in an area without 3g your fucked... dont ask me how i know this :?:
I have sub-meter GPS for work and a couple of the guys have phones with gps and when they plot their course with them they are close enough for most peoples' needs.
92GSR - mild interest

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:21 AM »

Get a used Garmin or TomTom. Seen them on eBay for around $80. If you're a real baller get this, best of both worlds: in dash and hand held:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/avn/avn4430overviews.html

BangBusMaster

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »

Get a Garmin and download a torrent map set.

drivin96

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »

i got a garman nuvi and its worth every penny

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »

i run a Garmin palm. old ass maps but it got me to downtown Puyallup and home just fine last weekend.
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

BoostForLife

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 02:37:03 AM »

TomTom One, around a $100 buck and always worked great for me. In fact we have 3 of them in our family, pretty much in every car but mine.

On the other hand, ValentineOne is a good fucking radar detector, too. 2 of my brothers and my dad rock them all the time. Having an arrow point to the police is a very good tool.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 04:18:31 AM »

I use my phone + TeleNav

Downloads the route before you travel it.  I can see it being an issue if you go off course though.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:29:41 AM »

i have a touch pro which has gps in the phone, i use google maps (free off google) and i use a bootleg version of tom tom with all the maps for the us and canada(1 gig on my sd card)
that way if i have phone reception i can use google maps but if i dont have reception i can use the tomtom.
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

slaminsam

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 06:57:50 AM »

I use a Garmin Nuvi 200 paid 60 for it... Its okay except for the maps are 2008.. Yeah i need to update but I dont use it that much..

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »

Nuvi 750.  It's a nice.  Any Garmin will work though.

1slow91hf

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

nuvi 760 stolen from my mothers 09 sx4 crossover so it was free  :evil:
and damn well worth it

it saved me over 2 hours on my trip to Kansas and has a speedo on it so i didnt have to look at the cluster
boost-booze-boobies, what more to life is there?

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

nuvi 760 stolen from my mothers 09 sx4 crossover so it was free  :evil:
and damn well worth it

it saved me over 2 hours on my trip to Kansas and has a speedo on it so i didnt have to look at the cluster

pro tip - when you see blue-lights, drop your speed to the limit or a tad over,  delete your recorded top speed, voila - proof you weren't speeding

hatchboy

• my wife= hotter than a 2 dollar pistol.
  • Certified OG
  • Bombs Over Baghdad
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »

My Expedition has built in GPS, uses map's off a dvd for whatever region you want. Doesn't interfere with music play becuase the DVD is in dash and all music etc is in a 6 disc in center consol.

Hard to find a torrent for updated maps though.
NavTeq

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »

im old school, i still use road maps and a compas
ride or die - smoke &ampamp fly
What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »

My Expedition has built in GPS, uses map's off a dvd for whatever region you want. Doesn't interfere with music play becuase the DVD is in dash and all music etc is in a 6 disc in center consol.
my Trailblazer has the built in GPS as well. pretty cool setup, it will talk over the music when a turn is coming up(if you have voice turned on), and pretty damn accurate as well

BoostForLife

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »

my Trailblazer has the built in GPS as well. pretty cool setup, it will talk over the music when a turn is coming up(if you have voice turned on), and pretty damn accurate as well
Touch screen or with a dial?
My bro's X5 has dial type of gps, as well as the 2000 Mercedes S430 but the nice thing about the benz is that it has a secondary LCD screen in the cluster so you don't have to twist your head to see directions.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »

Touch screen or with a dial?
My bro's X5 has dial type of gps, as well as the 2000 Mercedes S430 but the nice thing about the benz is that it has a secondary LCD screen in the cluster so you don't have to twist your head to see directions.
its a dial. ya no secondary LCD for the GM product ;)

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »

The VZW Nav on my phone works perfect, but be damned if I pay $10 a month to use it. I just look up directions on map quest and print them bitches

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »

The VZW Nav on my phone works perfect, but be damned if I pay $10 a month to use it. I just look up directions on map quest and print them bitches

+1 I do the same.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »

HTC G1. gps and google maps, including street view, satellite view,and traffic.  there are some apps out that allow use as a handheld gps, with topographical maps as well. and unlike gay mac-ish verizon, you dont have to pay for vz nav, or any of that bullshit, its all included with the unlimited data plan. tmobile's EDGE network really isnt that bad for 2G. WAY better than i expected.
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

HTC G1. gps and google maps, including street view, satellite view,and traffic.  there are some apps out that allow use as a handheld gps, with topographical maps as well. and unlike gay mac-ish verizon, you dont have to pay for vz nav, or any of that bullshit, its all included with the unlimited data plan. tmobile's EDGE network really isnt that bad for 2G. WAY better than i expected.

Fortunately 3G randomly popped up here last November, soon after I got the G1.  It's nice when videos start playing almost immediately :P  There are some free nav apps, but the best is Telenav and does cost $10 a month.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »

Probably because it's not real GPS.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »

Probably because it's not real GPS.

G1 has real GPS.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »

That even the free apps use? Most free programs I have used use that cell tower crap.

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »

What are you planning on doing with your GPS?  I have a Garmin Nuvi for the street.  If your bad with directions or just always want to know where you are and how to get home it awesome:

If you buy one it usually comes with the maps.  They say you should update them yearly (which you need to pay for) but I don't think its necessary.  They don't change the roads that much.  If you want one for hiking or offroad shit than you can't get a touch screen since it'll get fucked up.  When I go riding I got a Garmin HCX:

Its nice becuase you can upload where you been to google earth:

It'll tell you exactly where you been at what time, top speed, total ascent and a bunch of other shit.  So it really comes down to what you want to use your GPS for

racingtiger

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »

I use astro-navigation  

on a more serious note.  Be careful with the phone thing because cops in stat where you aren't allowed to text and drive will pull you over and slap you with a ticket cause they saw you fiddling with your GPS-phone

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

on a more serious note.  Be careful with the phone thing because cops in stat where you aren't allowed to text and drive will pull you over and slap you with a ticket cause they saw you fiddling with your GPS-phone

Your fucking with us, there isn't really places like that.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up