:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My experience with JDM Engine Depot  (Read 6688 times)

flat_black

My experience with JDM Engine Depot
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:20:05 PM »

I thought i'd share my experience with this place as they are a horrible and dont want anyone else dealing with what i have been..

I bought a R33 RB25det swap from them for 2200 shipped, good price. I received the engine and it looked to be in decent shape, missing a few things but nothing crazy.. I started to inspect the engine, did a leak down removing items etc, and i noticed there was some kinda rust colored fluid in cylinder 3.. I removed the head to inspect as i was planing on replacing the head gasket anyway. upon removal i found this

as you can see from the pictures water some how go into the engine and rusted the cylinder wall and the camshaft, it would need to be at least honed in order for it to work properly again, and the camshaft would need some type of repair.

i followed their warrenty policy i gave them my certification number and a detailed description and the pictures you have already seen.

Will at JDM engine depot is an absolute retard and obviously has no idea how an engine is supposed to work, he asked me if i had tryed to run the engine and got a little mad that i took MY engine apart. he expected me to run the engine and see what happened.. I couldnt beleive he said that, at first i wanted another engine i offered to pay shipping and he said that theres nothing he can do because i hadnt ran it yet... i mean anyone whos knows what there looking at knows that it shouldnt be run like that... im sure it would start, but not with out smoking or eventually wearing out the cam..

I could rant on about the conversations we had, he pretty much told me to deal with it, he offered me another camshaft from a non turbo RB and i wasnt sure if it was the correct one or not and he wasnt either... SO do yourself a favor and take it from me, DONT buy from JDM ENGINE DEPOT

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: My experience with JDM Engine Depot
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »

That's not a good price for an RB25.

The engine needs dissassembled and cleaned, go back with new bearings and rings.  Any honing is minimal.  Welcome to 1/3rd the engines that make their way over on a boat.

Your cam needs steel wool, pussy.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »

I would personally be more concerned with the black carbon buildup in the head that comes from not changing the oil for 10k miles.  The crap in the cylinder and rust on the cam isnt a big deal.

In short, you got fucked.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

chris

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

Most of the older motors are not from Japan but other parts of asia like China,Flip land etc

If the motor can physically be rotated the rust isnt that bad

Camshaft wise steel wool/high grit sandpaper/scotch brite pad will clean that rust off

g_shok

• Certified OG
  • SuperSport
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

sucks
ride or die - smoke &ampamp fly
What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »

That's not a good price for an RB25.

The engine needs dissassembled and cleaned, go back with new bearings and rings.  Any honing is minimal.  Welcome to 1/3rd the engines that make their way over on a boat.

Your cam needs steel wool, pussy.

Can I lock this thread now?

I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »

ya but those jdm engines only have 25,000 km's on them, and it already needs rebuilt.lol.  :P
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

chris

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »

Its funny because really the only Honda stuff coming from jap land anymore is all newer obd2 stuff and most have 40-80k miles on them

People need to finally realize the stuff is 15+ years old its going to have alot of mileage and at the least will need to have gaskets/selas etc replaced if you want something that is a good runner.

notfastcrx

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

the last dohc zc i bought from them needed a new headgasket . after i had it all installed i run the engine and notice antifreeze coming out of the front of the motor. i called them to see if they could do anything about it.  headgaskets are under the 30 day start up warrantee and they said even though my friend (which is a certified mechanic for toyota) installed it, there was no work order for it so they couldnt do anything. so i basically told him that i'd never recommend anyone to their business and hung up. fuck jdm engine depot

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:22:51 PM »

Uh, you guys did business with someone who has "JDM" as a company name.  you were expecting something other than douche-nozzlery?

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »

Fuck JDM!  Thas what you get for trying to be maddtytejdm!   :?:

chris

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »

Actually all the obd2 honda stuff I get is fuckin perfect. Alot of importers have great motors most dont.

Just like anything

chris

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:07:33 PM »

http://www.soko.com/

They carry tons of Nissan stuff and replacement motors for Hondas sohc, accord etc. There pricing of Honda dohc sucks but they dont really carry any of it.

Its who I dealt with for almost 10 years before i started working with 2 other companies and getting my own shit.

Between me and my crew of friends we have bought atleast 100 motors from Soken all of them were runners no problems. They even come with sensors almost always and manifolds etc

I never had one person come back with problems after I did their swaps EVER!

chris

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »

http://www.soko.com/Quality_Control.html

Notice the lack of jdm in the name and tiiite were cool style website.

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:52:51 PM »

Funny though, now you probably voided the warranty and they wont take it back.

The engine suppliers around here have a warranty that basically covers jack shit.  And once you run the engine or remove the head to check internals you've voided the warranty.  I had a vg30dett JDM engine and it had low compression from the day i got it, then about 5k miles later it developed a horrible lifter issue, and anyone that knows those engines knows that lifter issues are a pain in the ass, hard to fix, and expensive.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

Engine suppliers take care of you if you are 1) local or 2) buy a lot of engines from them.

speedjunky01

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »

i bought my d15b vtec off ebay, engine ran PERFECT and was sportless inside out, they even emailed me a copy of the compression test before shipping it.

475 shipped to my local loading airport.

honestly, just put a good amount of oil and spin the motor around a few times. if it doesnt run right, rebuild it.

chances are it will be fine. my friends and I have installed motors in that kind of shape with no/small issues arising only with some minor seals rotting from sitting

this is rHMT

RUN IT

Stealthmode

• Mufukkken 5 black Star General
  • Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

Joseph Davis seems to be spitting above average knowledgeabilities in this thread. I shall award him a high 5!! (5 day ban)
I think Stealthmode has a few children in some of his socks. I picked up one of his socks thinking it was mine and it was crunchy. Now I spend all day wondering what the hell might be laying eggs under my fingernails.

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »

they all claim a compression test, it's most likely bullshit.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

speedjunky01

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »

they all claim a compression test, it's most likely bullshit.

tested it once was installed, all numbers matched to 1-2psi

truthful enough to me

Henry

• Pow-Wow Productions
  • Certified OG
  • Bonafied timber nigga
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »

Soko gets a big thumbs up from me for the D15B vtec I bought. I was able to walk around and pick out what engine I wanted. I also scored the matching LSD tranny for it also for 50 bucks cause it had a hole punched into the case from something hitting it in shipping. I went home and put another case on it and rocked it until I sold my hatch.
The nog formally known as Stillnoturbo.

chris

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 12:04:22 AM »

All my motors I ever got from soken or soko same company were compression tested cause we checked every motor

It was kinda my little secret since so many people who were doing swaps back then were getting motors from the shady importers, just like today. Everything I installed was perfect and nothing ever came back. Majority of the time I wouldnt even bother with a timing belt/water pump as it was obvious the mileage on these motors was actually below 60,000 miles. This kept my costs down and how I can through school without a loan. Doing swaps etc out of my buddies little make shift garage on the side of his doublewide.

I dont remember ever having one of their D series motors ever coming back below 170 in any cylinder. The importers like soken that have been around since the beginning of time have because they test the motors and use products to keep rust of the motors since many will sit around yards for years.

Most of these newer guys dont have the sources the old companies have and their products show it. hence why when I worked a deal to share a small part of a container with 2 importers who have 25+ years of experince in it.

Just like soken all my stuff comes over ready to roll. Break in with rev limiter drops and 500 mile roadtrips.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 01:00:11 AM »

Regardless

Theyre fucking gay. Mitch is ASE certified... He followed procedure, and found a cylinder fucking full of water and rust... Thats negligence on the companty, not a worn out motor... Shitty way to get a way overpriced core. The dude at JDMFUKYOUINTHEASSMOTORS.com was telling him he violated the warrantty by puilling it apart as hes not a certified tech, but he is... Then tried to cover it up by saying the motor had to be run first... Ya, that makes aloot of fucking sense... Run the motor to fuck it up ionstead of pulling it apart to maker sure you didnt get fucked.

Id have pulled it apoart too, and been a fuckload of alot happier I did than th have to pull the fucking motor BACK out just to rebuild it anyway wehen it smoked like johnmichael on a pole puffimg bender.

Fuck them Mitch.

ANd that gay ass 240...   HAHAHAHAAHHA
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

BangBusMaster

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 01:03:41 AM »

You got hosed on that deal.. Shitty. 
Spiker, his 240 is sex on wheels.......compared to your 4door whore.  O0

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 01:15:56 AM »

Engine suppliers take care of you if you are 1) local or 2) buy a lot of engines from them.

Maybe domestic suppliers. Anything from outside the US will fuck you over and not give a fuck.

Example:

A buddy and I did engine swaps all the time while I was down in FL. Most the time, we source the motor for the customer. All of the times we did, we ordered from tigerjapanese.com. 3/8 motors were bad. 2 blew up within half an hour(both times the bottom ends locked up). Both those times, they took care of us and replaced the motor free of cost(except shipping) and didn't require us sending the old motor back. The 3rd time, we order an obd2 H23vtec motor from them. All looks good until we popped bottom end open. Turns out the crank is broken in 2.

We've been back and forth for 6 months now trying to get them to replace the engine. They keep giving us the run around. The first time we contacted them, they told us they'd replace it as long as we sent pictures. We sent pictures, then they took forever to reply. When they finally did, they said we'de have to send the engine back and pay for shipping for a new motor. We told them that was not the original deal and was not what was described in their warranty. THen they said they'd pay to purchase a new crank. Now where the fuck are we going to get a 95m stroke, 55mm main crank at? We couldn't find one, so we went to Honda and of course Honda of US don't know wtf that motor is so there's no way to order it. We tried explaining this to them, and they never answered back and it's now been way past the warranty period.

We're never doing business with them again. Niggers.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

chris

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 01:31:23 AM »

I know how you guys hate California but I never have these problems because the California importers are again the ones who started this whole trend.

They get the pick of the litter and it shows. Soko.com is no joke and the fact I have done more damn swaps than anyone on this site and never had problems trust me you guys are buying from the crackheads of importing.

I have sold over 50 JDM transmissions in the last 2 years guess how many have had problems NONE!!!!!!

Why because the 2 people I work with are Gangster old school mofo's who know the in and outs of this shit.

flat_black

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 03:30:44 AM »

Im really not that mad, just gave me an excuse to build it, blocks at the machine shop with forged pistons and rods, so its whatever... im just irritated, i wasnt asking for much at all, and they still blew me off.. But its whatever it"ll be built now, get that nigger Leed down here to tune it... should be running in a couple of months

chris

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 03:57:50 AM »

Future point all the importers worth a damn are from california.

BangBusMaster

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:28 AM »

Inline six's give me wood.

flat_black

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 04:07:19 AM »

So does the Ron jermey episode of bangbus  O0
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up