:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did a coil on plug swap  (Read 2117 times)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Did a coil on plug swap
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »

Running a ford EDIS4 ignition system that previously used a coilpack and sparkplug wires. It worked ok, but I could only run .020" gap at 15-17 PSI. Though you could run .055" with no boost... Anyways, I used the ford 99+ 4.6 2V COPs. 8 new for 85 shipped on egay and from my research the ones on ebay are the exact same part made by the same company that ford used OEM. Got 8 pigtails to wire them up through summit for 41 shipped. Had the wire and other shit I used already. Got four extras for another project down the road...

The COPs are just snapped on the sparkplugs, not fastened to the VC. I may JB weld some bolts to the valve cover so I can put a nut on them to hold the COPs down. Or it may stay like this forever.  :mexi: Haven't messed with the gap yet but next time I change plugs I'll try running .030" or something and see what happens.

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
Re: Did a coil on plug swap
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »

Looks sweet, but why did you use stainless braided for the heater hose?  At least use some electrical tape where your clamps are to give them some bite onto the hose. 

How does it run?  Did you look at the plugs before and after?  Notice any difference in driveability?

blowoff valves are for pussies.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: Did a coil on plug swap
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

Looks sweet, but why did you use stainless braided for the heater hose?  At least use some electrical tape where your clamps are to give them some bite onto the hose. 

How does it run?  Did you look at the plugs before and after?  Notice any difference in driveability?
I used stainless braid on the heater hoses because they used to be 1" from the downpipe. Sooo many miata people have melted hoses because they were too close to the downpipe. So I used staiinless ones there. Actually, I ordered 3' of -12AN to do my turbo drain and only used like 8" for the drain, so I used the rest for those. Wasn't planning to do it that way, but I needed to replace those hoses and I checked, and -12AN fit.

Why put electrical tape? Just to keep them from sliding off I guess?

It runs like shit. My trigger wheel setup is riged to say the least and it's fucking up. Runs perfect till about 4500 RPMs, then shit goes to hell. As for driveability, I dunno yet cause I haven't driven it much. It has always run really well (except for this recent trigger wheel shit) so it's hard to notice an improvement. I did notice it starts quicker. Kinda strange... I haven't had the plugs out yet, so I dunno. Last few sets that came out looked great though. Next time I change plugs I'm gonna up the gap from .020" to .030" or so. I know if I put the gap to .040" with the factory ignition I could run 17.5:1 and not misfire, but with .020" 16:1+ and it misses.

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up