:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: todays VW fail  (Read 3004 times)

speedjunky01

todays VW fail
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:03:38 PM »

so a buddy of mine picked up a 09 GTI fsi, car is pretty nice but its new so dont know how that will last.

he bought a 3" dp for the stock turbo setup.

he came over and it looked like a decent piece, ok welding, good bends and a nice flex in it. we took off the stock DP, which sucked. its pretty much turbo directly into the cat, makes sense from emissions point but for power this is SHIT. We put the new stuff on and tricked the ECU by using the spark plug extender trick in the DP so it wont throw a CEL without the cat. Start it up and the car sounds kinda rice like IMO but w/e.

take it for a ripper and the car is slower then stock LMAO

short version.
-09 GTI fsi turbo + 3" catless DP=less power then stock

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
  • Compl3x is a giant faggot
Re: todays VW fail
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »

how new is it? the ecu needs time to adapt to the new setup. it's gay.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8090/lolcart.gif
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

speedjunky01

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »

has 2000 this far, we reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 5 min or so, im sure VW put in a back up battery to store extra fail encase you attempt to remove it

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »

Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

has 2000 this far, we reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 5 min or so, im sure VW put in a back up battery to store extra fail encase you attempt to remove it

yup. you should also do an equally gay throttle body alignment, as when you unhook the battery, all the learned shit in the ecu goes to shit. go have someone local clear any codes in the ecu, log to see that the o2 sensor is reading properly, and do the aforementioned tba.
"quotquotI spent most of my money on booze and women. The rest I just wasted."quotquot

speedjunky01

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »

yup. you should also do an equally gay throttle body alignment, as when you unhook the battery, all the learned shit in the ecu goes to shit. go have someone local clear any codes in the ecu, log to see that the o2 sensor is reading properly, and do the aforementioned tba.

fuck that it seems to be running ok, im sure it will learn as he drives it

Pat, when i saw the turbo i LOLed hard. . . 3" dp on a 1" turbo

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »

Did you take the first 02 sensor out of the main exhaust stream?  Its a wideband stock, and the ecu relies on it heavily. 

I have a custom pipe and turndown on the wife's 08 wolfsburg fsi, and it will smoke a stock srt4 (if there are any left?). 

Also, is it a DSG trans?  Those cars have some weird torque limiting going on in the ecu to protect the trans.  6-speed is the only way to go.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

j.h.christ

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »

Did you take the first 02 sensor out of the main exhaust stream?  Its a wideband stock, and the ecu relies on it heavily. 

lol i didn't even think of this... space the rear bung, not the front.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

FSI are apparently not fail.  There's a ton of troublefree miles on Robb's GLI.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »

FSI are apparently not fail.  There's a ton of troublefree miles on Robb's GLI.

30k plus, most of those with the exhaust the way it is.  Also, its not a GLI, its a wolfsburg.  Didnt get the fancy steering wheel or front grill for $5k more.  :P

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:45 PM »

I fail at VWfail knowledge.

speedjunky01

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »

its the 6 speed FSI, the 1sensor wasnt touched, it sits right in the turbo housing!! really wierd.

i took it for a spin and its all right not a D on 11 but ok lol.

i HATED the clutch it had no weight to it clutch by wire??? haha

it has 3 o2 sensors total

1st is in the turbo, the WB

2nd one is after the cat

3rd is after the resonator(the one that was tricked by the sparkplug defouler

no CEL's at all thus far

glad to hear the lack of fail, just needs a man sized turbo on it

you guys think im that much of a tard? lol

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »

many obd2 cars factory turbo use this trick for the emissions o2 sensor and have little to no problems

id hate to see what it does when you get it backwards and kaboom the 2.0 under-hood grenade

You couldnt put em backwards.  It would immediately throw a code.

its the 6 speed FSI, the 1sensor wasnt touched, it sits right in the turbo housing!! really wierd.

i took it for a spin and its all right not a D on 11 but ok lol.

i HATED the clutch it had no weight to it clutch by wire??? haha

it has 3 o2 sensors total

1st is in the turbo, the WB

2nd one is after the cat

3rd is after the resonator(the one that was tricked by the sparkplug defouler

no CEL's at all thus far

glad to hear the lack of fail, just needs a man sized turbo on it

you guys think im that much of a tard? lol

Those ecus' learn fast.  I mean like within 30 miles.  If you got 2k on it and still doesnt run right something is wrong.  

I dunno bout that 3rd o2 sensor, the wifey's car only has 2.  Meh, im no VW tech, I just work on em in the dead winter when nobody wants to pull their 911's out of the garage. I know less that I should about the subject.

installing a dp and not retuning for the mass amounts of flow, increased pressure/decreased velocity can make your shit slower.  leaning out in boost, knock sensor lighting up, and throwing retard at the base timing map.  on 89 octane i get the same thing in 1700-2200 that goes away on 91+, i really don't care, but you can feel the drop of accel out of the engine.

Hmm, vw's are pretty good for compensating for lean conditions, if the ecu sees more than 7% plus or minus in the long term fuel trims, it will throw a CEL.  Thats a good point about the gas though, might look into that. 

Also, those cars are notorious for having bad fuel control modules (no relay) the unit that sits under the rear seats on top of the tank access.  If it smells toasty, they can do weird stuff.  Oh yeah, the factory bypass valve, the one on the compressor housing, are bad for going out.

speedjunky01

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

installing a dp and not retuning for the mass amounts of flow, increased pressure/decreased velocity can make your shit slower.  leaning out in boost, knock sensor lighting up, and throwing retard at the base timing map.  on 89 octane i get the same thing in 1700-2200 that goes away on 91+, i really don't care, but you can feel the drop of accel out of the engine.

he is getting a blind tune from ARP or unitronics the "stage 2+" as well as a intake

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »

he is getting a blind tune from ARP or unitronics the "stage 2+" as well as a intake

still doesn't log and read for where there is det/knock, and where gains can be made and gains will be lost due to a vanilla basemap

I agree with this, remote tunes are nothing to be proud of. 

speedjunky01

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »

still doesn't log and read for where there is det/knock, and where gains can be made and gains will be lost due to a vanilla basemap

yeah i know but its not my car, it was running fine and still is just a bit slower then in was with the stock shit on there.
they are generaly conservative in their tunes, and we looked arounf for a way to tune it but nothing really came up, i figure their base map, plus the stock ecu being able to adjust quite a bit should be ok

speedjunky01

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »

stock ecu's can only adjust in the parameters defined on it, not do a magic houdini retune

yeah i know, but it will adjust some.

car is throwing a CEL, i belive we need to pull the 2nd o2 out of the exhaust stream as well
Pages: [1]   Go Up