:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official RHMT TANK! that's right i said a TANK! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OBD1 GM tuning  (Read 8943 times)

88dx

• Certified OG
OBD1 GM tuning
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:23:46 AM »

What do most people tune Obd1 GM stuff with? Moates site says Tuner Pro or Tuner Cat, What others are out their? The Car is a 94 camaro that needs some boost  :noel: And what are some GM sites/forums that dont suck to get some info?

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
Re: OBD1 GM tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »

I wonder the same?   I would like to boost a 93 s10 blazer with a 350 and a huge turbo....After I done with these honduhs...

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »

I want to chip my 6.5 turbo diesel and adjust the wastegate ;)

until the crank breaks or the block cracks, that is

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

I want to chip my 6.5 turbo diesel and adjust the wastegate ;)

until the crank breaks or the block cracks, that is
My money is on the crank.
92GSR - mild interest

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:06:22 PM »

What do most people tune Obd1 GM stuff with? Moates site says Tuner Pro or Tuner Cat, What others are out their? The Car is a 94 camaro that needs some boost  :noel: And what are some GM sites/forums that dont suck to get some info?

Those are the main ones, and have been for many years.  I haven't been into that segment of ROM editing for many years though.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »

Moates gear is cheap, and Tunerpro has an excellent datalogging function with those.  Those ECUs are very simple and simply work, you really can't go wrong.  The thirdgen.org forum that kgx linked to is really THE place to go for GM tuning tech.  A few here can help you somewhat, but the real gurus are there.

FYI, I'm converting an OBD1.5 '94 V6 Trans Am to OBD1/7727 right now. 

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:05 AM »

Moates gear is cheap, and Tunerpro has an excellent datalogging function with those.  Those ECUs are very simple and simply work, you really can't go wrong.  The thirdgen.org forum that kgx linked to is really THE place to go for GM tuning tech.  A few here can help you somewhat, but the real gurus are there.

Native boost support.

No 7730 with hacked code love?

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »

Native boost support.

7730 is the same thing as a 7727, only the box isn't weather proof.  I have to mount it in the engine bay where the stock ECU resides.

ok

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:32:58 AM »

Native boost support.

7730 is the same thing as a 7727, only the box isn't weather proof.  I have to mount it in the engine bay where the stock ECU resides.

ok

Forgot about that.

I thought there were slight hardware differences between the two, like a driver for an EBC.

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »

Native boost support.

ok

Forgot about that.

I thought there were slight hardware differences between the two, like a driver for an EBC.

Don't know, don't much care.  This is a blower car.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:25 PM »

Native boost support.

the 7730 can run the $58/$59 code but requires a slight repin. the code base determines the ECM's pinout. the 7730 does have native boost control when the $58/$59 code base is running. pinouts for the ECM would mirror the syty/turbo sunbird/GA/skylark. only difference in the pinouts between the syty/sunbird platforms is that the cooling fan output on the sunbird is the intercooler pump output on the syty.

the remann'd service number for the 1227730 is 16198262, the 1227749 is 16198263, and you're most likely to find the remann'd units if you go hunting for them in the salvage yards. a lot of mechanics in the 90's just replaced ECMs when they couldn't figure out what the real problem was, even though there was nothing wrong with the ECM.

hardware wise, the only difference is that the 7730 is lacking a second quad driver (injector driver) and it does not have the hardware to drive peak/hold injectors like the 1227749 does. the 7749 can be configured to drive up to 8 P/H injectors by modifying the sense resistors on the injector driver circuits.

more info on that here:
http://p-928.home.comcast.net/~p-928/749mods.html

i'm currently working on 2 GM ECM projects-

one is a 7730 to run a friend's L28 powered 280Z turbo, the other is for a supercharged 1MZ powered MR2.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:21:29 PM by kgx »

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:43:16 PM »

this thread is cool.   ;D

Joseph Davis

• Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »

more info on that here:

I didn't know whether to book mark first then fap, or fap first then bookmark.  So I tried to both at once, and I think I broke something.   :'(

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »

Native boost support.

the 7730 can run the $58/$59 code but requires a slight repin. the code base determines the ECM's pinout. the 7730 does have native boost control when the $58/$59 code base is running. pinouts for the ECM would mirror the syty/turbo sunbird/GA/skylark. only difference in the pinouts between the syty/sunbird platforms is that the cooling fan output on the sunbird is the intercooler pump output on the syty.

the remann'd service number for the 1227730 is 16198262, the 1227749 is 16198263, and you're most likely to find the remann'd units if you go hunting for them in the salvage yards. a lot of mechanics in the 90's just replaced ECMs when they couldn't figure out what the real problem was, even though there was nothing wrong with the ECM.

hardware wise, the only difference is that the 7730 is lacking a second quad driver (injector driver) and it does not have the hardware to drive peak/hold injectors like the 1227749 does. the 7749 can be configured to drive up to 8 P/H injectors by modifying the sense resistors on the injector driver circuits.

more info on that here:

i'm currently working on 2 GM ECM projects-

one is a 7730 to run a friend's L28 powered 280Z turbo, the other is for a supercharged 1MZ powered MR2.

Ah, I knew there was some minute hardware difference.  Thanks for the clarification.  I have had my in the Honduh OBD1 world for long enough that some of the OBD1 GM info has started to fade.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »

widebody touches porsches too?

phat site with good info

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 04:15:43 PM »

Ah, I knew there was some minute hardware difference.  Thanks for the clarification.  I have had my in the Honduh OBD1 world for long enough that some of the OBD1 GM info has started to fade.

it's really only an issue if you want to run large lowZ injectors. i think the 7730 can still run quasi-asynch fueling. (at very low pulsewidths, the 7749 fires the injectors half as often for twice as long to improve low pulse-width fuel delivery).

if anything, a JBperf injector driver board with 2 circuits on it and the proper sense resistors would essentially make the 7730 a 7749 hardware-wise. and 7749's are rare, while there are

Quote from: carl sagan
billions and billions
of 7730s out there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:20:39 PM by kgx »

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »

it's really only an issue if you want to run large lowZ injectors. i think the 7730 can still run quasi-asynch fueling. (at very low pulsewidths, the 7749 fires the injectors half as often for twice as long to improve low pulse-width fuel delivery).

if anything, a JBperf injector driver board with 2 circuits on it and the proper sense resistors would essentially make the 7730 a 7749 hardware-wise. and 7749's are rare, while there are

Quote from: carl sagan
billions and billions
of 7730s out there.

Funny you hsould mention the JBPerf P&H board as I have one assembled and still need to test it out.  lol.

Agreed, the 7730 was used on the vast majority of Multi Port GM vehicle in the early 90s.

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:26 PM »

you could probably even just remove the original injector driver and run the JB board off the logic level signal.

it's possible too to swap out the distributor and run a standard DIS module with these ECUs. the spark reference angle needs to be about 60* advanced, and you have to change the max spark advance in the software to make it work correctly, but the DIS module takes the crank position sensor signal and outputs the reference signal to the ECM, then the ECM sends the EST signal back to the module and the module control dwell and distribution to the correct cylinder pair.

i have a hunch that the ref signal could just be inverted to get it back into the ballpark that the ECM is used to dealing with.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080121145035/http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-gmdis.html

there's some info there on spark/injector/reference timing vs. crank angle with the DIS module. the crank trigger is very simple, 6 teeth, one reference notch 10* after TDC for a V6, 70* ATDC for a 4cyl.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »

You know, I was going to ask if this covered the N* DIS modules as well, then I read the second line of text.

Thanks for posting this stuff.

NEED MORE INPUT.

:P

kgx

• MR2fag
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02:39 PM »

here's the outputs for the N* module.

from here: http://www.lukeskaff.com/car/northstar/theory.html

the trigger wheel is effectively a 24 tooth wheel with extra notches cut into several of the teeth. it uses 2 position sensors, but i believe if one of the sensors fails, the 4x signal is still active, but the 24x signal stops. it allows the engine to keep running in the case of a sensor failure.

it has a 24x and a 4x crank signal, so the 4x could be used as a ref pulse for a V8 engine. the ECM only needs one edge per cylinder TDC event. it uses a divider in the code to calculate RPM based on the time between the ref pulses and the divider. so as long as it's getting 4x signal per crank revolution it will work.

there's info on using the C3DI coilpacks too, but i can't find it right now.

BangBusMaster

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »

Oh yeah! Can I help out w/ this Steve?  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up