:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting points on old yamaha dirtbike  (Read 1859 times)

turbostd

• Certified OG
Setting points on old yamaha dirtbike
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:40:45 AM »

I picked up a free dirtbike the other day. Its a 72 or 73 Yamaha rt2 360. The kid I got it from said the main bearings where shot in it but the flywheel was loose  ::)  Now the issue im having is there is no spark. Now i dont know anything about these old points ignition systems but i know that the points are supposed to open and close when the flywheel turns but they are not. So does anyone know how to set the points on one of these :P

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
Re: Setting points on old yamaha dirtbike
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:23:07 AM »

adjust the dwell setting via the set screw.

That how you do it on GM setups. 30 degrees on the dwell meter, .020" clearance IIRC, about thickness of matchbook cover, I normally would set it by ear and be close.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5OEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=Buick+points+dwell+setting&source=bl&ots=wlYa1UhuDe&sig=Q2nSIhmk1zjsBt08-H77QB4OLb4&hl=en&ei=0CT9So2qDNHBnge9xOWfCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Buick%20points%20dwell%20setting&f=false
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »

Points are probably burned up with age, sandpaper that shit if it looks like ass.  The "matchbook cover" thing was a standard, but if they opened and closed the coil will spark and the engine will run even if not optimally.

Wait... do you even know what points look like?

turbostd

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:41:17 AM »

it would be very difficult to set the points by ear as they are behind the flywheel :P Yes jd I know what points are I have had cars with points dizzys in them. Setting them in a car is easy. On a bike where you have to work through a slot in the flywheel, not so much. There are 2 slots on the flywheel I think i set them using the wrong slot when i was messing with it. lol slot

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »

I had a 15HP 2 stroke outboard with points ignition under the flywheel. On that evinrude, spec was .020". It ran ok, but I found .025" it didn't cutout above 7K. :) 35ish HP 15 evinrude FTW.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up