:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Compressor Help... Single Stage or Dual Stage which to buy?  (Read 3058 times)

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
Air Compressor Help... Single Stage or Dual Stage which to buy?
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »

I'm looking to upgrade to a better compressor and the price difference between the single stage and the dual stage pump is only $100.00.  Is the dual stage pump and extra 20gal tank worth the extra $100?  And is the single stage louder then the dual stage?  Here's the two I'm looking at:

80gal 5hp 2-stage:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-two-stage-air-compressor-5-hp-3496129

60gal 5hp single stage:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_211720_211720

Anyone with any experience with these?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: Air Compressor Help... Single Stage or Dual Stage which to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:31 PM »

2 stage compressor's seem to recover faster at high pressures. for 100 dollar difference, I'd get the 2 stage.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »

2 stage compressor's seem to recover faster at high pressures. for 100 dollar difference, I'd get the 2 stage.

+1

The added tank capacity is a bonus as well.

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »

I have the 60gal in the add there, and it is ok but i wouldn't brag about the performance.

I am kicking myself for not getting a dual stage 80 gal. :-\

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

2 stage compressor just sacrifices mechanical efficiency for more volumetric efficiency, it's worth the extra $100.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »

Any other compressor suggestions besides the ingersoll?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:53:50 PM »

What compressor do you have now? If you're gonna upgrade, Ingersoll-Rand is a high quality compressor, and they're pretty quiet too. I'm sure somebody makes a cheaper one, but if you use it commercially, I'd go with an Ingersoll-Rand.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »

the smaller single stage has a higher cfm rating then the other one, i would go with that. higher cfm=less waiting around/
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »

the smaller single stage has a higher cfm rating then the other one, i would go with that. higher cfm=less waiting around/
At 40 or 90 PSI, yeah. But at higher pressures, the 2-stage will usually outperform a single stage.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:24:19 PM »

I have a 60gal single stage compressor very similar to the one posted. It is enough for any home shop. I can run any tool (die grinders, air sanders, any thing that takes big air) full bore and the pressure never drops below 120psi. I have never had a two stage compressor, but then again I have never needed more compressor then this.

Word of advice 1/2" lines and 3/8" fittings are worth the extra price. Really brings air tools alive.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »

I have a 60gal single stage compressor very similar to the one posted. It is enough for any home shop. I can run any tool (die grinders, air sanders, any thing that takes big air) full bore and the pressure never drops below 120psi. I have never had a two stage compressor, but then again I have never needed more compressor then this.

Word of advice 1/2" lines and 3/8" fittings are worth the extra price. Really brings air tools alive.

my 80gal had a 3/4" QD jackhammer line setup.

still have the jackhammer though :mexi:

I still have some 1" line and some Chicago fittings around here somewhere. I think that would drain my compressor pretty fast need about 130cfm to keep up with that. I know that vmac screw compressor my old man had on his truck would do it.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:33:20 PM »

Air compressor advertising is really misleading.  Remember, the dual stage stores air at 175psi compared to 135 and has an additional 20gal tank.  Chances are your going to be waiting around for the single stage before the dual.

I have 100 feet of 1/2in line.  I'm going to run two lines from the compressor, one for lubricated air and one for clean air for painting.

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »

=topic=6760.msg99155#msg99155 date=1258421059]
why not get an inline oiler and just slap some QD's on it at the end of the hose or with a short section of hose? lets you run a longer hose that way

I'm getting an inline oiler but I also want clean air without an oilier.  Plus, the compressor is going in the garage attached to the house and going to run another line out the the detached garage.  I'm getting some QD's but there's going to be more than one line out from the tank.

And here's the compressor I'm upgrading from:

O0

Whitey

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »

She's a big girl...

:yes:

pistol

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »

I have a 60gal single stage compressor very similar to the one posted. It is enough for any home shop.

when wired properly  :P

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:43:33 PM »

Nice choice.   ;D

Get that fucker installed, and give it some nice sneakers for its feet.

:P

I used these when I did mine, and it sure is nice to not have the vibrations form the compressor shaking the entire floor.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4C876?Pid=search

Dunno for sure if those were the exact ones, but it looks like it from the weight ratings.

You get the idea at least.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:20:56 PM by snm95ls »

chris

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 10:07:34 PM »

Sex

I have 2 hf units and they both are subpar at best
Pages: [1]   Go Up