:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

BDVT's BroDozzer gets compound twin turbos!... (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: light galling on cam and cam caps, suggestions?  (Read 14977 times)

Tim

• Certified OG
light galling on cam and cam caps, suggestions?
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:29 PM »

I have two heads for my ls integra, original with 187k and one I was told had 135k but had a broken timing belt.

I was lazy when I spun a bearing in the original engine and drove it close enough home I could tow it.  I cleaned it up to throw on and noticed some light galling on a couple of cam journals, and on the cams in a journal or two.

The other head is unknown condition, had a broken timing belt, and was told it had 135k on it.  I always read Chris saying there WILL be bent valves with a broken timing belt, even if the average joe can't see it with the naked eye.

I don't necessarily care about the engien I'm throwing together, block has over 235k on it and the cross hatching didn't look supreme.  I planned on throwing it together anyway but wanted it to last long enough to learn a few more things about tuning.

Any suggestions of things I should do to the cams and journals?

Is it pretty much a guarenteed fail and I should go for the unknown head with broken timing belt?

I can't get any pics until I get home from beatnik, TX

chris

Re: light galling on cam and cam caps, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:52 PM »

Testing for bent valves is just pouring water into the ports. Holds water seat/valve good. Leaks water valve bent. I have a box of stock ls valves cover shipping and a couple bucks there are yours as many has you need.

Bust out the scotch brite pads and clean up the journals. Besides that your going cheap so for proably 25 bucks used valves,lapping compound and scotch brite pads you are way better off than before.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:26 PM »

I don't like galled journals.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »

*taking notes for my RAPED car

tim this is what i meant about the redneck valve test we should have done this already! im leaving early on sunday but before i go we ought to crank a lil more on your teg? slow and steady wins the race... just her up and running before my bmw  :noel:
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:59 PM »

tim this is what i meant about the redneck valve test we should have done this already!
I was asking you about testing valve seals (the oil seals), I've seen people do this test just assumed it wasn't the right way to clear my unknown head.  I'll deffinately be doing it now that we failed last sunday and have more time to get it together/stopped trying to just slap it together in a day.
we need the teg running for the first test and tune of prp, so i can race you :yes:
If I can manage to get undrafted from installing trim in my sisters house, and my laptop decides not to fight EcTune we should have it running Sunday.  It may take a bit of work on that crank pulley though, I'll even bring rope to try your idea.  (even though I don't see rope filling the cylinder being any less 'cusioned' then our way)

And I'm down to race at prp, when opening day and how much?

widebody93

• Snitch Nigger Deluxe
  • Widebody93
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »

I like using Nylon Twine as your describing above

FREE

HomeDepot

If am a ever retarded enough to get hitched (2x) I would either drink myself to death at my wedding or die trying.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:23:13 AM »

bunch of bent valves, a little scotch brite and the old head went on  :P

Hopefully it will last long enough until I can get some replacement valves from chris.  Speaking of do I just replace all the ones that had water seeping through, or could some just need lapped?  Never really fucked with valvetrain besides adjusting valve lash.  I get the concept of lapping, just not sure how to tell how many and which valves need replaced.  Anyways I have a complete head kit so I'll clean the shit out of this one, replace the bent valves, lap them all, replace the seals etc.

Oh yeah, did I mention I just copper sprayed and used the head gasket again since it will just be coming off again and at this point I just don't give a fuck... oh wait I never did with this car.

MTZ

• Webadmin
  • Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:01:58 AM »

what is the damn trick?
ur fucking feet are disgusting.

btw that nail prolly rotted from u fingering widebody in the ass

its called toering

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »

what is the damn trick?
Stuffing the cylinder full of rope to lock the engine, nothing new.  But I argued it wasn't needed and I could get the crank bolt off before the head went on, I failed.  Once the head was on and cyl 1 was full of rope the bolt cracked with the help of an extension supported by a jack stand by the front tire, and a long ass breaker bar followed by a pipe and some ass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up