:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

AJ's 1966 Nova LSX twin turbo build! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: just got a mac, wtf do i need to know?  (Read 5950 times)

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
just got a mac, wtf do i need to know?
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:49 AM »

so my brother gave me his 2 year old macbook or whatever it is.  he's trying to convert me.  so far it seems ok, i'm not fully assimilated quite yet... he started me out with an ipod touch for my bd last year.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: just got a mac, wtf do i need to know?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:04:59 AM »

Sell it, buy a Windows laptop.

:P

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:11:26 AM »

you can down load the shit to make apps free with a mac. 

i know a guy that made one and has made 15k since last christmas off a week of fooling with the app maker stuff

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

QikEnuF

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:18:09 AM »

Tho Some Cheese On Dat Bitch

PO' BOY - 'THROW SOME CHEESE'

weirtech

• Certified OG
    • Weir Technologies Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »

i've had one for the last 4 years now.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

Not much to know, what do you use it for?

Turkey soup pancakes sir

Phate

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »

sell it.  Get a windows laptop with 4 gigs of ram, and install windows 7.
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »

sell it.  Get a windows laptop with 4 gigs of ram, and install windows 7.

shut the fuck up.

sell it for twice what it's wort to some coffee house mac fag, spend half of that on a great pc laptop, and the rest on drugs/strippers/alcohol etc...

if you keep the fail mac, emulator/virtual machine is gonna be your best friend. and you have to start an hourly updated blog, that you post from the local starbucks whilst listening to some gay guy sitting on a stool read a poem with some light percussion sound
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »

My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-incredible-free-manual-for-every-mac-user-pdf/

Fuck windows, Linux> windows

I definitely agree, sir. But it takes a special person to realize that, and to be able to fully utilize nix. Personally I'm running one laptop on vista, one on Kubuntu, and the third on Ubuntu ( both 9.10 karmic).
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Phate

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:09 AM »

I've got a dual boot on this machine and on my desktop.  I normally run Ubuntu 9.04, but keep windows for games and some apps I can't get to run on linux.

Linux flies on almost any system, and I love it, but windows 7 is a really pleasant surprise.

colt45

• Mista Pimpsta
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »

"...if you're over 40 and have washboard abs you are a fag..."

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »

sell it for twice what it's wort to some coffee house mac fag, spend half of that on a great pc laptop, and the rest on drugs/strippers/alcohol etc...

This.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

97Econobox

• Certified OG
  • Some may never live, but the crazy never die
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »

I really don't like how they don't allow any stores to carry their shit.  so if it breaks even if you figure out how to fix it your self you will need to order shit from the MAC store, not like you can run to Best Buy for an (insert any PC part here) at like 8 pm on Saturday in a pinch.

I guess if you just wanted to check one out cool, i just never saw the appeal doesnt do a thing for me.  the whole elitist shit bugs me, sometimes i think people don't realize there is a CPU, HD and DVD unit in there same as a PC.  its not different magic in there.

i ate your mom'#39#39s dick last night :?:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/nacvicsi/Untitled.gif

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »

I really don't like how they don't allow any stores to carry their shit.  so if it breaks even if you figure out how to fix it your self you will need to order shit from the MAC store, not like you can run to Best Buy for an (insert any PC part here) at like 8 pm on Saturday in a pinch.

I guess if you just wanted to check one out cool, i just never saw the appeal doesnt do a thing for me.  the whole elitist shit bugs me, sometimes i think people don't realize there is a CPU, HD and DVD unit in there same as a PC.  its not different magic in there.

Especially since they switched over to Intel chips, thereby doing away with everything that made them viable in an oddball fashion for video/graphics editing.  Add in Mac's complete INABILITY to supporet more than a fraction of the hardware on the market and Mac = failure

Aaron, they have a cool intuiitive interface going on for them.  You might really like yours, so don't just sell it out of hand.  Just keep in mind they aren't the most prudent machines to buy new or for the absurd resale value some think they possess.

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »

(Answer if you didn't have awesome builds.)
I would tell you a gun, to shoot yourself with.
(Answer because you make awesome shit)
Sell it and save yourself the headache from the spinning wheel of mockery.
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »

I somehow group MAC users with the people that drive a hybrid into a wall because they have no clue on basic principles of how shit work and a glitch sends them into a panic.

Last guy I sat next to on a plane wouldn't let me get any work done cause he was picking on my PC, but he was a fucking pompous idiot that also told me what car was best and a bunch of other shit but couldnt' answer simple questions because his knowledge was limited to what he read in consumer reports and blogs at the coffee house.

bigwig

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 11:22:04 AM »

Macs are fine.  Their user base is not.  Also the hardware/software issue is legitimate, when discussing the limitation on after market support.  At the same time, not having to deal with spyware/malware/viruses basically is pretty convenient.  If you just browse the internet and use MS Office you'll probably like a Mac better.  If you want to branch out from that at all, you might  find yourself with a pair of stinky shoes due to stepping on all the bullshit.

colt45

• Mista Pimpsta
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »

free is free

and even though there is a lot of shit talking, i'd still hit it... girls with issues are great in the sack
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:39:28 PM by colt45 »

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »

Macs are fine.  Their user base is not.  Also the hardware/software issue is legitimate, when discussing the limitation on after market support.  At the same time, not having to deal with spyware/malware/viruses basically is pretty convenient.  If you just browse the internet and use MS Office you'll probably like a Mac better.  If you want to branch out from that at all, you might  find yourself with a pair of stinky shoes due to stepping on all the bullshit.

Let the Mac capture a bit more of the user base and you will have plenty of viruses/spyware/etc to deal with. They don't suffer from them as bad because of convenience for the malware coders, not OS coding superiority.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:13:03 PM by Ntrain2k »

Phate

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

free is free

Not sure how old it is, but you can probably still sell it for over $600.  Play with it for a bit, then when you get sick of it, sell it and pick up a $450-750 windows laptop.  You can get a lot of computer for that money.  The machine I'm on now (Dell Studio 1731) is awesome for the $550 I got it for.  17" screen,  Intel Core2 Duo (same chip apple uses in their notebooks), and 4 gigs of ram.  Decently snappy with vista, hauls ass with ubuntu (which also doesn't have viruses).

Sell it and save yourself the headache from the spinning wheel of mockery.

Most annoying thing about macs, aside from their owners.  I used them for a few years (in my school's computer arts department).  Opening photoshop, safari, and word, and then switching tasks would lock them up for minutes at a time.

and even though there is a lot of shit talking, i'd still hit it... girls with issues are great in the sack

I'd probably hit it too, once the bleeding stopped.

bigwig

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »

Let the Mac capture a bit more of the user base and you will have plenty of viruses/spyware/etc to deal with. They don't suffer from them as bad because of convenience for the malware coders, not OS coding superiority.

I'm well aware.  Still doesn't take away from the fact that my idiot sister has a Macbook and couldn't get a piece of spyware/malware/virus even if she started visiting Russian warez websites.  While I, with AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Super Anti-Spywhere, Hi-Jack This, Malware Anti-Bytes, and probably a few other programs, still get bits and pieces every once in a while.  By bits and pieces, I mean me sitting smashing my face into my keyboard for  6 hours because some new variation of some bullshit came out and I got it because some website decided to sell some ad space to some asshole who wrote some clever code to auto load some new variation of their spyware program.

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »

Buy the extended warranty. When these things break its like fucking 2 grand.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:36 PM »

I'm well aware.  Still doesn't take away from the fact that my idiot sister has a Macbook and couldn't get a piece of spyware/malware/virus even if she started visiting Russian warez websites.  While I, with AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Super Anti-Spywhere, Hi-Jack This, Malware Anti-Bytes, and probably a few other programs, still get bits and pieces every once in a while.  By bits and pieces, I mean me sitting smashing my face into my keyboard for  6 hours because some new variation of some bullshit came out and I got it because some website decided to sell some ad space to some asshole who wrote some clever code to auto load some new variation of their spyware program.

Interesting. I peruse warez, etc and do not get viruses, etc.
Windows XP here.

Full scans of everything downloaded. Web sites do not autorun anything unless I allow it. Nothing goes out or comes in unless I allow it.

Paranoia has it's perks I guess.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-incredible-free-manual-for-every-mac-user-pdf/

Fuck windows, Linux> windows

I definitely agree, sir. But it takes a special person to realize that, and to be able to fully utilize nix. Personally I'm running one laptop on vista, one on Kubuntu, and the third on Ubuntu ( both 9.10 karmic).

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 right now. Love all the free stuff and shit you can do. Best of all no worrie about spyware ect.

I've got a dual boot on this machine and on my desktop.  I normally run Ubuntu 9.04, but keep windows for games and some apps I can't get to run on linux.

Linux flies on almost any system, and I love it, but windows 7 is a really pleasant surprise.

I find it the when I do that it tends to run a bit slower then say I have a virtualbox from summirco systems. I have not had a problem getting things from windows to run on Ubuntu, crossover or wine takes care of that.

virtualbox ftw, can have a ton of different OS running with in a few mins.
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

Phate

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »

I find it the when I do that it tends to run a bit slower then say I have a virtualbox from summirco systems. I have not had a problem getting things from windows to run on Ubuntu, crossover or wine takes care of that.

virtualbox ftw, can have a ton of different OS running with in a few mins.

The only reason I still keep windows on this laptop is that Ubuntu sucks at monitor detection, and I like hooking it up to an HDTV with an HDMI cable.  Then its sick for watching movies.  Also I run any 3d apps on windows because there are no linux drivers for my video card.

I should also add that had I not gotten windows 7 for free through my school, I wouldn't have it.

2point2

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »

Put it on the mill. 

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »

Sell it and get a real laptop.  Linux is the shiznit.  ONLY thing I run winblows for is eCtune.  Other then that I rock gentoo.  Ubuntu is great though for users with little or no experience with linux. 

If none of that works for you you could always hang out at ratcityrex's coffee shop.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:50:22 PM by malichite »
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up