:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Poll

Are you an Engineering student?

Yes
- 27 (40.3%)
No
- 13 (19.4%)
Johnny is an idiot
- 17 (25.4%)
JDSAP
- 1 (1.5%)
CRX
- 7 (10.4%)
LOG
- 0 (0%)
OCZC
- 2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How many Engineering students on here?  (Read 30549 times)

snm95ls

• Certified OG
How many Engineering students on here?
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:23:19 PM »

So how many are on here?  I have seen a few mention coursework and such in the past.

Discuss your hangs ups and achievements.

So far, I fail.

:P
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:28:34 PM by snm95ls »

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: How many Engineering students on here?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »

I'm studying mechanical engineering. And Fuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkk finals start thrusday.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

I'm studying mechanical engineering. And Fuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkk finals start thrusday.

Fuck my Statics class.  That is all.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »

I'm an ME major as well, graduate in May. I hated my stats class too more than anything.

edit: Statics? That shit is easy. You better make sure you understand it, because almost every other course you take will build upon it.

Wait for Johnny to chime in and call you a liberal faggot for going to college.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »

Fuck my Statics class.  That is all.

I see jagojon beat me to it, but yeah, learn statics, it's fundamental for everything else.

Materials for ME design class is pretty hard for me, but I'm taking the "really hard teacher" vs. the "super easy-A teacher". Choose to do it that way though, cause I'd rather learn shit and make a C then learn nothing and get an A. I pay too much to go to school to be wasting my time/money.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:45 PM »

I'm an ME major as well, graduate in May. I hated my stats class too more than anything.

edit: Statics? That shit is easy. You better make sure you understand it, because almost every other course you take will build upon it.

Wait for Johnny to chime in and call you a liberal faggot for going to college.

The coursework is pretty easy, but the tests are a bitch.  I guess I am either too distracted, too stupid for the major, or just too goddamn slow.

Mreh.

Johnny makes the big bucks so I can sponge off of him.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »

C's and D's get degrees!
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:35:48 PM »

No longer an engineering student, graduated and been working in engineering for 5 years now.  I'm so glad I'm done with fucking college.  90% of engineering students end up with a Buisness degree anyway.  And 50% of those dumbasses will demote themselves to communications. 

Lim(engineering) = buisness
GPA->0

^^ if you understand that then you win the prize

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:08 PM »

I see jagojon beat me to it, but yeah, learn statics, it's fundamental for everything else.

Materials for ME design class is pretty hard for me, but I'm taking the "really hard teacher" vs. the "super easy-A teacher". Choose to do it that way though, cause I'd rather learn shit and make a C then learn nothing and get an A. I pay too much to go to school to be wasting my time/money.

Understood.

I would be fine with that, but my GPA has taken major hits since getting out of the easy ass gen ed classes.  You can only get so many Cs without ending up with a 2.0 GPA.    :?:

No longer an engineering student, graduated and been working in engineering for 5 years now.  I'm so glad I'm done with fucking college.  90% of engineering students end up with a Buisness degree anyway.  And 50% of those dumbasses will demote themselves to communications. 

Lim(engineering) = buisness
GPA->0

^^ if you understand that then you win the prize

FML
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:40:30 PM by snm95ls »

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:41:12 PM »

Understood.

I would be fine with that, but My GPA has taken major hits since getting out of the easy ass gen ed classes.

The calculus shit is what killed me. Took cal 4 and D.E. for practice the first time. But now that I'm done with all the math, the engineering is easy. Haven't made a C in any of my engineering-specific classes yet, all A's or high B's that I couldn't pull up to an A.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »

The calculus shit is what killed me. Took cal 4 and D.E. for practice the first time. But now that I'm done with all the math, the engineering is easy. Haven't made a C in any of my engineering-specific classes yet, all A's or high B's that I couldn't pull up to an A.

I have spent more time on calculus than I care to admit.

Statics has been my first real engineering class, and it has been utter hell.  The instructor is notoriously difficult though.  It looks as though I will not be passing it this time.

I need a drink or ten.

:D

fysh

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:58:13 PM »

You go to MST?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10:20 AM »

You go to MST?

MCC in KC right now.  The plan is to transfer to MST next fall.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »

Did first year Eng out of high school and hated it, switched to business ;D
92GSR - mild interest

bigwig

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »

I'm a failure.  Engineering was easy.  Calc sucked.  FUCK GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING RESEARCH PAPERS IN THE FUCKING ASS.  I left school because I couldn't stand writing 3-4 15 page research papers every god damn semester.

Seriously, I understand why they exist.  I really do.  It doesn't mean I hate them any less.  What I should have done was done the research for all of the papers and then paid some English Grad student to write my papers, but I'm too "honest".

I really don't miss college at all and I have absolutely no desire to go back.  I do wish the little piece of paper that validates my existence as a relatively bright person.  The fact that full blown idiots have degrees and I don't is a bit of a pill.

snm95ls: What don't you get about Statics?  Are the questions difficult, long, or just the subject matter?  Statics is a fairly easy class.  Dynamics is significantly more difficult.  If you search for "statics tutorials" in google, you will typically find some pretty sweet stuff.  Any time I felt the book or my teacher was insufficient, I'd find something on google that would typically answer my question.  I found some REALLY good flash tutorial from Michigan State I believe that really helped a great deal.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:31:40 AM by bigwig »

Colin

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 12:32:38 AM »

I'm about to finish up my ME degree this spring.

I've done well so far. Formula SAE was the biggest mistake - takes up way too much time.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:02 AM »

Er...

I've got about 1.5-2 years of classes done...but I'm pursuing Computer/Electrical Engineering degrees (class load is very similar here)

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 12:36:13 AM »

I'm a failure.  Engineering was easy.  Calc sucked.  FUCK GOD DAMN MOTHER FUCKING RESEARCH PAPERS IN THE FUCKING ASS.  I left school because I couldn't stand writing 3-4 15 page research papers every god damn semester.

Seriously, I understand why the exist.  I really do, doesn't mean I hate them any less.  What I should have done was done the research for all of the papers and then paid some English Grad student to write my papers, but I'm too "honest".

I really don't miss college at all and I have absolutely no desire to go back.  I do wish the little piece of paper that validates my existence as a relatively bright person.  The fact that full blown idiots have degrees and I don't is a bit of a pill.

snm95ls: What don't you get about Statics?  Are the questions difficult, long, or just the subject matter?  Statics is a fairly easy class.  Dynamics is significantly more difficult.  If you search for "statics tutorials" in google, you will typically find some pretty sweet stuff.  Any time I felt the book or my teacher was insufficient, I'd find something on google that would typically answer my question.  I found some REALLY good flash tutorial from Michigan State I believe that really helped a great deal.

Been working on a paper and two reports for the last few weeks. I KNOW what you mean, they SUCK!

But +9999999999999999999999999 on getting help/figuring it out if you don't get it. Worst thing you can do is sit and do nothing, and fail. Then you'll feel stupid. Statics really wasn't hard. But I know some teachers that can spend 30 minutes going over a 2 minute lecturer for a 5th grade class and leave the class confused. If your teacher sucks, teach yourself. Or better yet, make a study group and figure it out as a group. 3-4 dummies can figure it out together. But if your doing study groups, pretend to be smart and get in a group with the kids making A's, and study with them.

fysh

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »

You go to MST?

MCC in KC right now.  The plan is to transfer to MST next fall.

My little brother goes to MST for Mining Engineering, he says the class load is rough.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »

I've done well so far. Formula SAE was the biggest mistake - takes up way too much time.
I would like to talk about this.... I joined SAE a couple years back, and at the time I didn't get along with the dumasses that ran it, and after a month I got out. But now they're some decent people in there and I'm thinking of joining again. But I'll have a 12 hour load for my last 3 semesters, so I don't think it would kill me to join. Your thoughts?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »

But how else are you going to learn to wire things in the real world?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 12:43:49 AM »

But how else are you going to learn to wire things in the real world?
By doing it wrong 20 times. :)

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 12:46:44 AM »

I understand most of the material quite well.  Homework grades went form 60s at the beginning of the semester to upper 80s.  The tests are what kill me.  55 minutes, to setup ~ 11 problems.  It sounds easy, but I guess I am just to slow.

Congrats!

I can totally see how FSAE would eat up too much time.

My little brother goes to MST for Mining Engineering, he says the class load is rough.
I can totally see that.  The difference, I would think, with being at the university is that you are surrounded by people who have similar goals pretty much all day every day.  Maybe this is a naive way to think about it.

bigwig

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »

I would like to talk about this.... I joined SAE a couple years back, and at the time I didn't get along with the dumasses that ran it, and after a month I got out. But now they're some decent people in there and I'm thinking of joining again. But I'll have a 12 hour load for my last 3 semesters, so I don't think it would kill me to join. Your thoughts?

The biggest issue is not setting up a timeline, not sticking to a timeline, and taking on too many projects.  If your chasis isn't built by the first day of class, you are 8 weeks behind.  If your car isn't getting tested 6 weeks before competition, you are 8 weeks behind.  If you aren't able to get your car running long enough to do 6 endurance races, you might as well not take the trip.

The best thing a FSAE group can do is contact local gear heads/speed shops that are young adults and have them come in and show them how to build things.  Let the engineers design/engineer but let the guys with experience tell you how to build it and when you have a stupid idea.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50:05 AM »

Just hang in there. If you can't pass statics then you will be wasting a lot of time and money trying to get an engineering degree.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

Just hang in there. If you can't pass statics then you will be wasting a lot of time and money trying to get an engineering degree.

Yeah, pretty much what I figured.

Adam Hopkins

• Peyton Manning
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »

I am almost done with my generals. I took clac 1 online and made an a, but could not differentiate something if my life depended on it. Well almost, my calc based physics teacher is beating this shit into our head. He has us trying to figure out dif eq already in dealing with waves(sound, energy). We also have already had to do some tripple integration (from what I have been told by other math majors this is all calc three is). I am trying to take calc 2 and calc based physics 2 next semester.

Someone that has an ee or ce degree, please tell me that it becomes easier/more interesting once I get past all these core classes(ex calc2, calc3, dif eq, calc based physics 2).

This physics is just really bogging me down. I just feel like I am not retaining as much from these classes as I should. Anyone else feel this way.

I feel like im doing terrible, but still score higher than 90% of the class. I just always feel like I am behind. I am by no means the smartest person in class, but I do try. Maybe I need to be easier on myself.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:47 AM »

I feel like im doing terrible, but still score higher than 90% of the class. I just always feel like I am behind. I am by no means the smartest person in class, but I do try. Maybe I need to be easier on myself.
IMO, this is a good state of mind to have. This way you're always pushing yourself to learn more and study harder. It's how I was when I was doing ME. I felt like I wasn't being productive in my learning, but yet I scored in the upper 5% of the class.

I did 1.5 years of ME, then dropped out for reasons unrelated to school. I had/have a 3.8GPA at University of Wa. I had just gotten most of the non major specific classes out of the way though, so my GPA doesn't really mean much.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 01:01:56 AM »

Adam, if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times - methamphetamines are your friend.

Adam Hopkins

• Peyton Manning
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »

Adam, if I've told you once I've told you a thousand times - methamphetamines are your friend.

If Ive told you once Ive told you a million times, I like my pot and my sleep. :noel:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up