:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CRV powerless to 3000rpm, then takes off  (Read 3489 times)

Jorsher

• Certified OG
CRV powerless to 3000rpm, then takes off
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »

Timing?

Changed a headgasket a second time in this B20 CRV since he was too cheap to have the head checked after overheating the shit out of it when the first one blew and the headgasket started leaking again 3 days later.  We drove it around time and it everything seems fine except below 3000rpm it's pretty powerless.  If I hold the throttle steady...it will slowly slowly accelerate and the tach seems a little "bumpy."  As soon as it hits about 3000rpm, it takes off like vtak kicked in (still holding throttle steady) then shifts later than it should for the throttle I'm giving it (auto).

With the timing light - the mark on the pulley seems stable until I guess it goes open loop, then it's jumpy.  Reason I think that is when it was cold and idling high (1500ish rpm), it was steady, but when it warmed up and dropped to around 1000rpm, the mark was jumpy.

Any ideas?  Snowed last night, cold as fuck, tired of messing with it.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
Re: CRV powerless to 3000rpm, then takes off
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

Double heck your mechanical timing.

single mark on the crank pulley aligned with the mark on the cover, then look at the marks on the cam gears.  if the marks aren't in a line all the way across(remember there are 4 marks at 90 degree intervals), then your mechanical timing is off.

I would guess one tooth out, but it is purely a guess.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:10:25 PM »

Double heck your mechanical timing.

single mark on the crank pulley aligned with the mark on the cover, then look at the marks on the cam gears.  if the marks aren't in a line all the way across(remember there are 4 marks at 90 degree intervals), then your mechanical timing is off.

I would guess one tooth out, but it is purely a guess.

Honestly that's what I'm thinking.

When I was setting the timing, the crank pulley was off (for some damn reason), so I was going by the notch on the top of the crank.  It seemed a little bit to the left when the cams were lined up, but if I moved the cams back one tooth, the crank seemed a little too far to the right.

I'll fuck with it tomorrow.  Just wanted to get some opinions before I screw with it again.

Is the notch jumping with the timing light because the ECU is trying to compensate for that tooth or what?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »

The ignition timing is likely wandering a bit because of closed loop operation.  OBD2 vehicles enter into closed loop pretty quickly.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »

The ignition timing is likely wandering a bit because of closed loop operation.  OBD2 vehicles enter into closed loop pretty quickly.

Ah I had it backwards.  Yes, closed loop is where it starts acting jumpy.

Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:16:07 PM »

I would guess you are tooth off on your cam timing
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »

timing off.

spoonfedcrx

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »

^^^^^ what they all said

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »

Fucked with mechanical timing, and ended up putting it back to where it was.

Turns out it was the ignition timing.

Forgot about jumping the service connector so the engine doesn't fuck with it.  :?:

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »

Fucked with mechanical timing, and ended up putting it back to where it was.

Turns out it was the ignition timing.

Forgot about jumping the service connector so the engine doesn't fuck with it.  :?:

LULZ.

drivin96

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »

Changed a headgasket a second time in this B20 CRV since he was too cheap to have the head checked after overheating the shit out of it when the first one blew and the headgasket started leaking again 3 days later.  We drove it around time and it everything seems fine except below 3000rpm it's pretty powerless.  If I hold the throttle steady...it will slowly slowly accelerate and the tach seems a little "bumpy."  As soon as it hits about 3000rpm, it takes off like vtak kicked in (still holding throttle steady) then shifts later than it should for the throttle I'm giving it (auto).

i had this prob when my head gasket popped  and when i pulled the head two of the exhaust valves were missin pieces as well  ... but befor i pulled the head when it was fucked up and i was drivin it home  i had the issue where the idle sucked had to goose it a lil to keep it alive when i started goin it had no ball's at all till say 10 mph then it was ehh sputtered a lil on aceleration
Pages: [1]   Go Up