:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck my life  (Read 5375 times)

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
Fuck my life
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:42:15 AM »

Just formatted my drive.
I was dual booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.10. I finally pulled all my pics, music, and shit over from Windows, and marked that partition to be overwritten. Then, somehow in the process I marked my WHOLE drive unallocated. WTF? Goddamn it!
  So now, after reinstallation, I'm running Photorec, to try to recover my pics and music. Hopefully it won't be a total loss. FUCK SHIT NIGGER WHORE
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
Re: Fuck my life
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »

sauce on sig
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »

The GIF, i dunno, found it a year or so ago. The quote is some guy at H-T
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Robb

• Certified OG
  • Meat Popsicle
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

I back up all my important shit on an external that goes in a fireproof safe.  External's are so fucking cheap now, I have no sympathy for you sir.  Sorry.

blowoff valves are for pussies.

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »

a format will white any and all info from the drive.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »

i don't know shit about computers, but i know that.  if it was reformatted, you ain't recovering a damn thing

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

when you delete information, usually you can capture most of the information back. however when a drive is formatted, all the information is converted.

to get a bit stream image is possible, but then... the information you do get is useless.

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 12:11:22 PM »

I also installed Ubuntu and for some reason he took all the fucking drive... Even after the format, I was able to recover most of my important data.

What happened is that I had a old Ubuntu installation on another harddrive, but the mbr was on my primary hd. Ubuntu thought it was on the whole drive because of the mbr.

I usually always use advanced partitionning and I choose my root, var, home and boot partition to be safe. But I thought the new Ubuntu version was intelligent so I choosed the automated partitionning. Fucking big mistake. 4 days of trying to recover my fucking data...

Never rebooted since tho, 24 days uptime  :noel:

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »

A quick format will take a minute or two, and only wipes the "table of contents" to be untechnical. A full format will erase everything, but will take ages with a drive that's dozens of gigabytes. The data, minus the 20gb that new windows will take up, will be recoverable - it will just take a looooong ass time. Just don't install anything else in the mean time - I'd actually try the search with another PC so zero extra data is overwritten.

BTW best thing to do is to split your drive with something like Partition Magic. I always split drives into 100-250gb partitions, and never had an issue like this since I started.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »

I just reinstalled ubuntu, it only has like a 3 gig foot print. I recovered about %60 of everything. Most of my music is fucked though. Oh well.
If I weren't a broke nigger, I would have an external. But I am a broke nigger. And some of my shit is...sensitive....that I will NOT backup to a random server somewhere. God Damn FUCK this shit

Hotrodlincoln

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »

Pediphile baby toucher
kill yourself piss face

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »

Pediphile baby toucher

First it's pedOphile. And second, no, not my cup of tea.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »

A quick format will take a minute or two, and only wipes the "table of contents" to be untechnical. A full format will erase everything, but will take ages with a drive that's dozens of gigabytes.

Yes.

I do full formats when it's a brand new harddrive, because it also tests for bad sectors by overwriting and testing each sector.  Bad sector it goes back.

Quick formats just make the files "appear" deleted to the OS.  Full format takes hours and hours, I think around 5-7 hours for a 1TB drive.  Quick format takes a few seconds...because it just "hides" the data.

I don't have much sympathy for you either.  Sucks ass but whenever you are partitioning or formatting a drive, you need to have your data backed up.  Shit happens.

I charge my phone with USB on the PC, and have my important shit set to back up on it nightly (documents, photos, etc...basically shit I couldn't download again).  It's also copied onto another one of the drives on the PC (1 x 500gb, 6 x 1TB, 1 x 1.5TB).  Every month or three I'll also back it up on a DVDRW.

My 500gb external died one year, and it's where I stored the only copy of all my irreplaceable files.  Pissed me off severely.  Took out the drive and tried to set it up in my PC using a PCI SATA card, and it wouldn't detect the drive.  Got pissed and abused the drive a bit.  Fortunately, when I built a new PC, it loaded just fine and I got all my files back.

I just recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on the webserver.  24 days uptime isn't that impressive.  I ended up with over 3 months on Windows 7 before I shut it off to install a new harddrive :P  Also, that was on the 7068 beta build.  It's only been shut off when I was installing new hardware, during a power failure, or when I've moved.

I had OS X, Ubuntu 9.04, and Win7 RC1 installed on the same harddrive, used the Chameleon boot-loader.  Cleared off all that shit when I installed Win7 RTM.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »

I had been meaning to pick up a pack of dvd's to back up some shit, but procrastination and poorness fucked me. I only had 1 dvd left, and it wasn't half what i needed. I guess  Ishould have zipped them down and burnt it, but fuck, too late now. Lesson learned

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »

Some people like to back up all their shit...I just stick with what I can't download which doesn't even fill up a DVD.  Reason I never did backups was because I was lazy.

If you're strapped for cash you could always find a cheapass 4-8gb thumbdrive, download some software to copy specific directories to the drive every night, and you have daily backups without having to do anything.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 11:56:09 PM »

Not if you have the correct software to recover it.

I saw a program a while back that required a case ID and a badge number when opening. It recovered 98% of everything on a drive that had been formatted 3 times back to back.

If you want to wipe a drive, military wipe it.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:29 PM »

Software available to the home user can wipe a drive just as good or better than any "military" wipe.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

klyph

• Proletariat for Life!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 12:19:40 AM »

Overwrite every file with lolcats, then reformat.

Foolproof.

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:39 AM »

Just formatted my drive.
I was dual booting Vista and Ubuntu 9.10. I finally pulled all my pics, music, and shit over from Windows, and marked that partition to be overwritten. Then, somehow in the process I marked my WHOLE drive unallocated. WTF? Goddamn it!
  So now, after reinstallation, I'm running Photorec, to try to recover my pics and music. Hopefully it won't be a total loss. FUCK SHIT NIGGER WHORE

Data dump it using another Linux box. Should be able to recover the hole thing. How big is the drive?
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »

Software available to the home user can wipe a drive just as good or better than any "military" wipe.

who needs software?  firearms>hd data recovery methods

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 01:00:05 AM »

That makes sense, firearms are a perfectly viable way of recovering data from a hard drive  :?:

Turkey soup pancakes sir

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:01 AM »

Overwrite every file with lolcats, then reformat.

Foolproof.

lol. I used to run a program that wrote random strings of binary over the whole drive in the event of too many failed login attempts

chris

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 03:08:45 AM »

That makes sense, firearms are a perfectly viable way of recovering data from a hard drive  :?:

I had a gun pulled on me 2 weeks ago

klyph

• Proletariat for Life!
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:51 AM »

I had a gun pulled on me 2 weeks ago
I'll bet you downloaded all your information with a quickness.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 03:50:47 AM »

OP next time use Knoppix. It only stays on CD/DVD and your memory, so zero HDD footprint. Actually if there is a 2nd time, fist your mom for bearing such a dumb child.

I just recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on the webserver.  24 days uptime isn't that impressive.  I ended up with over 3 months on Windows 7 before I shut it off to install a new harddrive :P  Also, that was on the 7068 beta build.  It's only been shut off when I was installing new hardware, during a power failure, or when I've moved.

My old instructor told me of the record she knows of. An ancient NetWare server had been somehow walled in during a building remodel. I mean all 4 sides were gypsum drywall. The server was still being used when they found it (next remodel, taking the wall down) - 10 years later! Never once rebooted. Novell was so freaking stable it's a wonder MS came out on top.

If you want to wipe a drive, military wipe it.

GIANT electromagnet, that's the fastest. But I've seen a few "secure format" things that will do that full erase. To my understanding, instead of flipping everything to "0", it flip-flops them a few times so it has no detectable polarity/flux/whatever from before. FBI/etc can recover data that has been formated a few times because the area on the plater doesn't 100% change polarity. It will leave "waves" per se, of the previous magnetic charges.

Usually you need special equipment for that since the typical HDD doesn't have heads sensitive enough for that.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 04:14:19 AM »

I don't think there will be a second time. I'm starting a weekly ritual of massive backup. Once I start reacquiring all my pics, videos, and music.
  Side note, the Ubuntu SE theme is kinda cool, in a weird way.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:18 AM »

Uhhhh, a military wipe is a type of wipe, not a specific software.

klyph

• Proletariat for Life!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:30 PM »

Is that where you spend thousands of dollars to incinerate it, then give out a contract worth hundreds of thousands to replace it, when a hammer and $100 retail would accomplish the same thing?

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »

Is that where you spend thousands of dollars to incinerate it, then give out a contract worth hundreds of thousands to replace it, when a hammer and $100 retail would accomplish the same thing?

Don't forget the year long requisition process

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

http://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/how-to-completely-erase-your-hard-drive/

Single files, entire folders and all the "unused" space on your computer can be wiped clean to government & military standards (7 pass Department of Defense erasure, or 35-pass Gutmann uber-paranoid erasure)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up