:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor problems  (Read 1542 times)

junkyard racer

monitor problems
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »

Stupid monitor on my desktop wont come on. Says "no signal". I connected it to my laptop, same thing. Can the cable just go to shit...or can a monitor just take a shit like that? Worked fine yesterday. Are there any buttons my 13mo old could have pushed on the key board to make this happen?

bigwig

Re: monitor problems
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:40:47 PM »

Switch the cable, check with another computer, try hooking up a different monitor.  There is no answer to your question.  Yes, a monitor can work one day and not the next.  Yes, it could just be the cable.  Yes, it could be something more.  If switching the cable works, then you have a bad cable.  If you hook up the monitor to a different computer, it might be your computer.  If you hook up another monitor to your computer and it works, the monitor is fubar.

junkyard racer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

well no shit.

the question im really asking is "is there anything my 13mo old could have pressed to make the monitor not see a signal"

bigwig

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »

well no shit.

the question im really asking is "is there anything my 13mo old could have pressed to make the monitor not see a signal"

Press some random buttons like an ape and figure it out.

More seriously, the only button someone could press is to switch from DVI or VGA or vice-versa.  Otherwise, I'd put my money on a loose/bad cable or the monitor going kaputz.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »

What bigwig said.

Probably just changed the input.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:24:34 AM »

Maybe your son is the next Bill Gates and just altered your BIOS settings, putting initial display as PIC instead of agp/pci-e.

Seriously though, my screen has vga/dvi/s-vid/composite inputs in that order. Hit the 1st button and the input changes [to a black screen]. Unplug it for a while and it starts back at VGA. As far as your lappy goes, many require you to enable the VGA output after the monitor is plugged in, or it won't ouput a signal to that port. Some are automatic though.

The cable can soemtimes be a big problem area, but rarely. Usually it's only artifacts, discoloring, or ghosting that results - not zero signal. When my last tube went, it was the power supply/ray gun and would turn the image into a single horizontal line like on the twilight zone intro. Huge NEC/Mitsu with software-based adjustments...was sad to see it go. :-\
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:29:06 AM »

I keep loosing the mouse on the other monitors setup on the fucking computer, IDK why anyone needs three monitors at one time it just seems to piss me off and isnt drinking friendly  >:(

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

I keep loosing the mouse on the other monitors setup on the fucking computer, IDK why anyone needs three monitors at one time it just seems to piss me off and isnt drinking friendly  >:(

IRC in one screen, ssh terminal in another, browser in another...or other multiple combinations.  It's especially nice when I want to watch a show while I'm reading configuration settings from the browser and typing them into putty.

Multiple screens are useful as fuck.  I have a monitor sitting on a table rigged up to this laptop right now because it's so fucking annoying trying to multitask on one 1280x800 screen :/

jyr you get it fixed?
Pages: [1]   Go Up