:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to make good cheap intake leak tester?  (Read 2693 times)

• Certified OG
how to make good cheap intake leak tester?
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »

i need to test my shit for leaks, looks like a 3" pvc plug will fit good then either tap it put a tire valve in it is what i think ive seen people do, or get  a plug thats threaded/rv blow out adapter .   

part im not sure about is if i can adjust the regulator in small enough increments before i blow somthing out or cause new leaks.. or is there a better way? also thought of making some kind of chamber inline with the air inlet with a cap or some kind of check valve on the side that i can blow smoke in O0
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:59:53 PM by 7808 »

klyph

• Proletariat for Life!
Re: how to make good cheap intake leak tester?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »

blow smoke into one of the vacuum lines, cap it, pressurize it, look for smoke.

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »

1) Plug turbo with cap thing.

2) Hook air gun up to a vacuum line in your chargepipes

3) Listen for leaking air

Quick and dirty, you might not find tiny leaks but if you've got a decent sized one you'll hear it.

Are you testing charge pipe or an intake manifold?

Intake manifolds are tested easy with carb cleaner or quick start.
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

ADSR

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »

blow smoke into one of the vacuum lines, cap it, pressurize it, look for smoke.

works for me

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »

start car and let idle. Spray ether all around until it revs up, then move in with the ether until you find the leak point
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »

I just used a PVC cap, put it in the intake tube, drilled a hole in the cap and put a quick-connect air fitting in it, then snapped an aiar hose to it and adjusted the regulator on the compressor to pressurize it and look for leaks. Only took 10 minutes and 2 bucks to build, worked great.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

keelay

• Cheddar Bob
  • Certified OG
  • Function>Form
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:59:43 AM »

I just used a PVC cap, put it in the intake tube, drilled a hole in the cap and put a quick-connect air fitting in it, then snapped an aiar hose to it and adjusted the regulator on the compressor to pressurize it and look for leaks. Only took 10 minutes and 2 bucks to build, worked great.

I like that, next time I need do find a leak, I'll definitely try that
The 2 fat bitches from the internet fucked me. Except for one, she didn'#039#039t.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »

+1
Only thing i did was also picked up a few big ass squirt bottles you see janitors use from the dollar store.  A touch of soap and some water makes a simple tool to find your leaks if you're deaf like me.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »

I got PCV caps, pressure gauge, and a tire valve stem. Give it 20psi and let off, look for leaks. Using the regulator & air fitting is better for BIG or hidden leaks. I can tell you one thing, with no boost reference line, a Greddy type-S holds up to 18psi with just it's spring. That was my first test.

BTW if you try to include the IM with a leak tester, more than likely one valve will always be open. Same with the turbo, air will leak slowly past the shaft's piston ring regardless.

One other thing you can do is include the whole motor. I've never tried it, but you'd put a cap/test plug on the DP's outlet, set the motor so one cylinder is in overlap, and pressurize the turbo's inlet. Now you're leak testing everything at once...
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid
Pages: [1]   Go Up