:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Build thread database... check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quiet Exhaust  (Read 7541 times)

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
Quiet Exhaust
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »

I am going to be finishing up the exhaust on my DelSlut.  3" all the way.  I want the shit to be as quiet as possible though.  I was thinking of running this guy http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-40353/ for a muffler at the back.  I also was wondering about shoving this one in the middle http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17223/ instead of a resonator.  Any thoughts?  Not even sure if I can jam that bitch up into the tunnel but it is slummit so they are good about taking shit back if it doesn't work.  Just currious if anybody has done this or has any other good recommendations. 

You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
Re: Quiet Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »

Well that second one is a glass pack or resonator, it says so in the description. and as for the muffler never had an experience with them i have always used the straight through magnaflows. they work great and are reasonably quite when on a turbo honda.

I have also used the local muffler warehouse brand resonators that have the spikes or w/e there called and they work great but not the best for flow as the spikes impede exhaust flow.

It's up to you but turbo 3" isn't all that quite on a honda, for my liking. so i run only 2.5" on my personal cars. I also never make enough power to warrant anything larger, so i may be biased.

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »

Yeah, quiet is relative.  Right now I have a straight out 3" sidepipe and it is rediculous.  I just want to be able to drive it without earplugs and not get looked at by every fucking cop that I pass. 
You hhave just failed on so many levels, im waiting for someone else to verbally slap you in the gooch with a mallet

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

just go get the magnaflow 3" straight threw muffler in what ever size you need, and a quality resonator for cheap and make it all quiet.

onlyflash944

• Certified OG
  • Jack of all trades, Master of none
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »

just a glass pack on 3" with turbo isn't quiet at all.  and if you are going to get a glass pack, just get the 20 buck summit one and save some money, as they are all the same.  thats all i have on my ride, and it did quiet it up a bit, but its still pretty loud. 

You read some forums? nbspnbsp Cool, I tune cars.

Its your fucking car, if you want to hack it up fucking go for it.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:52:08 PM »

Turbo muffler if you want it quiet. I'm a big fan of the Dynomax Super Turbo
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

lilpooh21186

• Certified OG
  • B16 Short strokes but holds a high note
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 10:23:50 AM »

Vibrant steath muffler worked great for my set up 3" kteller no cat no resonator Was quite till mad crazy vtak hit poppin flames and shit.
Ecu chipping
basmaps
tuning Dyno/street pm for details
Neptune Dealer PM for RTP details

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »

glasspack as resonator, Dynomax welded ultraflo.

theidealone

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »

For the resonator, use a Dynomax Bullet. Thats all I have on my car, and compared to a friends single slammer with no muffler 3", its helped quite a bit.

Turbo + Resonator + Muffler should be quiet enough, especially in comparison to wide open piping.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »

For the resonator, use a Dynomax Bullet. Thats all I have on my car, and compared to a friends single slammer with no muffler 3", its helped quite a bit.

Turbo + Resonator + Muffler should be quiet enough, especially in comparison to wide open piping.

Most of the exhaust noise is dictated in the manifold, before it passes through the turbine.  The only thing you can do to make things quieter than it currently is, on the exhaust side, is to run either smaller diameter exhaust (god, no) or put a REAL muffler on there.  On some setups those bullets do absolutely nothing - you got lucky.

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »

Summit sells generic glasspacks for dirty cheap, I'm rocking(on my n/a a6) a single glasspack and Dynomax Super Turbo with no cat and it sounds stock at idle and part throttle. Even at WOT it's super quiet.

I ran an eBay resonator and 3" Dynomax Super turbo on my turbo setup and the ticking of the injectors was louder than the exhaust at idle

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »

Well I ordered the stuff I originally posted.  Will post resluts soon. 

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »

I suggest whatever BISIMOTO is using, its nev4r b33n don3 be4 and is gauranteed to get all the HT Bois on Yor NutZ
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

God damm $170 for mufflers  :o

crxvtec91

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • RIP old hmt. SloS13 for King!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 01:03:17 AM »

Lol my first turbo kit was less then $150
My build thread; http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=2444.0

I like my girls like I like my cars, rich and retarded.

Phate

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 03:53:26 AM »

I suggest whatever BISIMOTO is using, its nev4r b33n don3 be4 and is gauranteed to get all the HT Bois on Yor NutZ

I gotta admit it sounds nice for a fart cannon.  But the stigma of being on a Bisi build makes me think I'd rather have the AIDs
It never ceases to confuse me that people think this is a car site.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/overdrive14/2vkkmt3.png

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 03:57:01 AM »

I gotta admit it sounds nice for a fart cannon.  But the stigma of being on a Bisi build makes me think I'd rather have the AIDs

Call it GRIDS.  That's what it was known as BEFORE everyone else started calling it something else, as befits a piece Bisi would use.

bouncinofftherevlimiter

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

Call it GRIDS.  That's what it was known as BEFORE everyone else started calling it something else, as befits a piece Bisi would use.

wasn't that acronym for something like Gay Related Immune Deficiency Syndrome, cause only gays had it at first, then the straight people contracted it and fucked their theory all up..

Wait, gay related? Bisi? Conicidence??

I see what you did there...
No longer own a turbo car...

94 Accord, first running 4g63 piston/h22 rod/f22 block &ampamp crank

HX35 18lb 486hp/391tq

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »

Meh, lets just say I got a nice raise/bonus and was feeling generous twords the slut.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »

Hey bitch you gona be free sometime the middle of January? so we can  finish up the 3" on the crx?
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »

Burnzzzzz stainless like bisimoto :P

Honestly burns stainless was cool before bisi. They've had some very cool, albeit very pricey, mufflers since forever. They'll also design stuff for you based on your engine flow/etc.

If you want quiet, you can't beat a chaimbered muffler. The only problem is finding one that's stainless but not outrageously overpriced like an apex'i or even vibrant. For power, e-cutouts ftw. I can hit 18psi faster with it open than I can hit 10psi with it closed.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »

As mentioned, quiet is relative. Some people's definition of "quiet" will give me a fucking headache after 10 minutes of being in the car. To me, quiet is stock exhaust. I ran 3 long ass 3" glasspacks and then a magnaflow wide open 3" muffler on the miata. Supposed to be "quiet". Quiet my ass. It was deep, but still loud, and still gave me a headache on long trips, and was loud when wide open, albeit deep and not-raspy at all.

I ended up putting the stock muffler back on, and now it's quiet as it was stock. I'll add an e-cutout per a couple forum members advice as that will best suit my needs. Quiet all the time, but loud when wide open. I'll probably set it up with an override switch as I can make a good 250whp with the stock muffler and it's still quick, but open when I need more power. Right now there's no cutout, so the stock muffler is killing top-end power. Hopefully a cutout will be going on very soon.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Vagitarian

• Panik Mekanik
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 07:07:41 PM »

Stock exhaust with an e-cut would be pretty damn quiet

malichite

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Harbor Freight Ninja!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

Hey bitch you gona be free sometime the middle of January? so we can  finish up the 3" on the crx?

You know it!

FaphyredSyday

Quiet Exhaust
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »

Since my last thread was thread-jacked and turned into an argument and a bunch of bull shit, I will try this again.

WHAT BRAND is a good exhaust setup from cat back? Looking for a nice throaty tone.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »

Since my last thread was thread-jacked and turned into an argument and a bunch of bull shit, I will try this again.

WHAT BRAND is a good exhaust setup from cat back? Looking for a nice throaty tone.

You fucking moron.

You are threadjacking. Start a new one for your bullshit questions.

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »

The kind that you piece together and weld up. Are you putting this exhaust on a 1967 ford mustang or a 1989 yugo? Dude your a little to vague with your question. Maybe instead of garbiling up this thread, you should start a new one with a little more info. And your last thred where you were asking this question was in the ect locked up thread, not one you started YOU FUCKING RETARD!!  :yes:

and start by reading this.
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=25.0
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »

Kill yourself

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 01:28:27 AM »

you some kind of faggot boi?
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up