:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop  (Read 17843 times)

98vtec

• try a warm glass of shut the fuck up
    • BBmoto Tuning
Re: ideas on how to bring import work to a domestic dominant shop
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »

I got an idea. If all goes well, I might get a sponsorship from OCZC. Depending on the price, maybe I can get you to do my motor. I'm in Kingsland GA, and could do a road trip and drop my block  off.

Then when its done, your shop an OCZC will get exposure.

It would be a win-win situation.

the only problem i see is that I wouldn't want to do this "on the clock".  It can be done much cheaper for you if you arent having to pay shop fees.  Not to mention we dont have anything in the computer regarding prices or time on an engine build (i have an idea on time but i think you know where i am coming from).

not to mention i do not currently have the tools (missing a cylinder bore gauge, a couple micrometers, cam degree fixture) for me to feel comfortable building an engine for someone else.  I built my last motor with a lot of questions in mind since i didnt have the tools to answer my questions and i just wont go into a job with someone elses money on the line when im not fitted with the tools needed to really complete a job.

I would honestly be more interested in being the tuner than being the builder on this one.  Don't get me wrong, i feel i am capable to build you an engine if i had the tools i have been needing to buy for the last couple years but that just isnt the case right now since I have so much money to spend on getting my car back at the drag strip.

pat,
I do completely agree with you on the taking time part.  Thats what brad told me.  He said it was just going to take time for me to gain experience and trust of people in order to bring in some bigger projects of my own.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »

IMO you can't establish your business with a car, or four cars, or anything like that. A lot of businesses that are sales and service oriented take 5+ years to get established. You have to make it happen too. It takes a shitload of dedication and a desire to succeed, and you have to know what you're doing. If you do something and business is boominig in 3 months, odds are it's temporary and will fall off in 3 months. It takes time to become established as the shop to take your lawn mower to, or the shop to have your honda tuned at, whatever.

it helps to show people that you are capable.  And by being capable, i mean you have cars displaying your work.  If there is a car that is constantly beat on and still holds together, i believe that shows a bit of what your made of.

I agree. Seriously.

All I was saying is that one car or four cars, etc, no one thing you do is going to get anythinig "establisihed". Over time, all your efforts will pay off though. If you builid some shop car that hits the strip 12 times a year for 3 years and becomes "known" to be that honda that's fast and reliaible, great. That will certainly help, along with everything else.

I've worked on cars on the side for the last 6-7 years. At first, it was hard to find any work. Now work finds me. Hell, I was working on a construction site with people I've never seen before during thanksgiving and a guy I was working with asked me if I was the Pat that worked on cars, he needed some work done on his camry. Just one example, but that's the result of doing it for several years. When I first started, I did work too cheap thinking it was the right thing to do. Meh, looking back, I should have charged more sometimes. I've learned it pays more to specialize in stuff vs. trying to do everything. So I don't work on cars that much anymore...

GL, hope things work out. I agree that building a shop car that hits the track all the time is a step in the right direction. And having your own car that's also badass (read, turbo and unusually fast) is also a good idea. If a year from now you took your car and the shop car to the track 10-12 times a year, that would look good and probably help get your business going.

'nother though- When I was 16 and running my thunderbird at the track, I met several people there that helped me tune the carb, adjust the timing, taught me how to read the tree and launch, etc. Learned a lot, met a lot of great people that knew what how to go fast reliably, and ended up doing business with a couple of them. One of them owns a local speed shop and I bought a set of heads from him, and ordered several things from him over the last 5 years. And that's all cause he was the guy with the 5 seconds mustang I raced at the track (1/8 mile).
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

90dx

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »

Just become a man and build a wheel pulling 8 second domestic pussy :-*

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »

IMO you can't establish your business with a car, or four cars, or anything like that. A lot of businesses that are sales and service oriented take 5+ years to get established. You have to make it happen too. It takes a shitload of dedication and a desire to succeed, and you have to know what you're doing. If you do something and business is boominig in 3 months, odds are it's temporary and will fall off in 3 months. It takes time to become established as the shop to take your lawn mower to, or the shop to have your honda tuned at, whatever.

it helps to show people that you are capable.  And by being capable, i mean you have cars displaying your work.  If there is a car that is constantly beat on and still holds together, i believe that shows a bit of what your made of.

I agree. Seriously.

All I was saying is that one car or four cars, etc, no one thing you do is going to get anythinig "establisihed". Over time, all your efforts will pay off though. If you builid some shop car that hits the strip 12 times a year for 3 years and becomes "known" to be that honda that's fast and reliaible, great. That will certainly help, along with everything else.

I've worked on cars on the side for the last 6-7 years. At first, it was hard to find any work. Now work finds me. Hell, I was working on a construction site with people I've never seen before during thanksgiving and a guy I was working with asked me if I was the Pat that worked on cars, he needed some work done on his camry. Just one example, but that's the result of doing it for several years. When I first started, I did work too cheap thinking it was the right thing to do. Meh, looking back, I should have charged more sometimes. I've learned it pays more to specialize in stuff vs. trying to do everything. So I don't work on cars that much anymore...

GL, hope things work out. I agree that building a shop car that hits the track all the time is a step in the right direction. And having your own car that's also badass (read, turbo and unusually fast) is also a good idea. If a year from now you took your car and the shop car to the track 10-12 times a year, that would look good and probably help get your business going.

'nother though- When I was 16 and running my thunderbird at the track, I met several people there that helped me tune the carb, adjust the timing, taught me how to read the tree and launch, etc. Learned a lot, met a lot of great people that knew what how to go fast reliably, and ended up doing business with a couple of them. One of them owns a local speed shop and I bought a set of heads from him, and ordered several things from him over the last 5 years. And that's all cause he was the guy with the 5 seconds mustang I raced at the track (1/8 mile).

i understand your point of view.  Thanks for posting.

I'm tuning a pretty clean crx tomorrow.  His friend who has been helping put it together is a d series turbo guy and wants me to tune his once he is done.  Says he wants to turn his EF into AWD with the wagovan drivetrain and throw some boost on it.  Just needs help with the tune.  Hopefully these two cars will help out some since this guy with the crx actually tracks the car.

clean damn car.  Gonna be a great for the street.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »

a little anti-lag

Short 2-3 gear burst

FUCK YOU JD
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »

You call and text and never tell me wtf it is you want, specifically, and it sounds like a hassle so I don't respond.  I repeatedly texted asking what you wanted - so you'd just call.

:1

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »

You call and text and never tell me wtf it is you want, specifically, and it sounds like a hassle so I don't respond.  I repeatedly texted asking what you wanted - so you'd just call.

since you are the wizard, you should know what i wanted.  I your old age, im guessing your memory is fading because when you say "I see", that isnt asking what i wanted.   :)

I made a simple statement that it didnt want shit for timing and you said "welcome to the world of high CR".  Wtf lol.

I'll just call from now on.

asshole.
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:40 PM »

since you are the wizard, you should know what i wanted.  I your old age, im guessing your memory is fading because when you say "I see", that isnt asking what i wanted.   :)

I made a simple statement that it didnt want shit for timing and you said "welcome to the world of high CR".  Wtf lol.

I'll just call from now on.

asshole.

Welcome to the JD inner circle.

:noel: :yes:

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »

is that a gay sex scandal type of ring?
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »

Rule number 1.

Those in the inner circle do not talk about the inner circle.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »

Well what else can you say to such a statement? I'd given you the same reply.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:15 AM »

Well what else can you say to such a statement? I'd given you the same reply.

yea but you are mexican so i would expect you not to understand english.

:mexi:
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

sewell94

• Certified OG
  • Border Jumper
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »

JDSAP(JD SUCKS A PENIS)
My real power is not interweb-based, although it does allow me to come across in the interwebs as a magical being shooting pixie dust and cupcakes out my asshole and such.

98vtec

• BBmoto Tuning
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »

JDSAP(JD SUCKS A PENIS)

measure my cranks fucker  ;D
xXx Performance Tuning
-- In House DynoJet
SouthEast Neptune Tuner

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »

Northstar Fiero > Ecotech Fiero

D16+S/C+He351>Northstar Fiero > Ecotech Fiero

Fiero = "burning piece of metal" in Latin America (thats is why no latino would drive, steal or even look at at one of those) ;D

Fiero= "pride" in Italian (Pontiac was so proud of them that they canceled these cars after redesigning the suspension and steering, and making only 5200 cars.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up