:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Miatas and big turbos  (Read 14067 times)

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
Re: Miatas and big turbos
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

Damn jd that's a horse shit graph regardless 28r or 30r. idk whats with that car but it just seems so not what i expect out of the turbo's. ya know.

drft grow balls fyi and crank the boost. your no where near maxing a 2871r at your goal. so....

DRFT

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 11:42:53 PM »

looks like i would be maxing it out at 320whp to me.

Im out to learn like everyone else, so if you know im wrong tell me WHY...

Joseph i understand where you are coming from... drifting doesnt make sense and the power required to keep it going is huge.

My car is pretty much all setup besides some sort of bbk and a roll bar. i have the coils, diff, bucket etc etc even 90% of the fuel setup for 300-320whp.

Here you can see that the car is quick, but not fast at 225whp (dynapack)
Mad Miata

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »

You do see that graph goes over to 45lbs/min right?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT28/GT2871R_743347_2.htm

hp rating from garrett themselves 280-475 hp, now to hit that you will be at a higher pr then a larger engine, but flow is flow no matter what pressures your at. a turbo doesn't flow more or less depending on the engine it's attached to. Now to hit the high side of that comp graph you would need the larger turbine to get as much flow from the turbine as you can.

those cars that are "peaking at 25-26psi" must have small turbine and that the only thing holding that comp wheel back from making the rated output that garrett says it will.

bigwig

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »

100whp = 10lb/min, roughly.  It's a rule of thumb that is typically pretty accurate.

So in order to make 320whp, at minimum, you should be looking for a turbo that can flow 32 lb/min.  To be on the safe side, you should really find something that can flow 35-37lb/min.

Looking at that compressor map, you clearly can see the turbo is capable of flowing that amount with ease.  The GT2871r is not a favorite of a lot of people because it's a bit out of balance because it is completely turbine limited.  Some guys like them, a lot do not.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 05:07:37 AM »

when i was on the dyno my EBC was acting up. 0.3% duty cycle change on the AEM was putting it from WG pressure to unhooked WG pressure (was shooting as high as 16psi before the boost cut hit)

It's called inductive reactance.  You were cycling the solenoid at the wrong frequency - yet another in a long litany of your failures to understand simple physics.

the 2871 on my 1.6 will need ~24-26psi manifold pressure and they really arent efficient at that.

And here's another.

DRFT

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »

The frequency change on the solinoid didnt change anything when we tried it in the ems.

we tried all the way from 15hz to 31.3khz on the dyno-All netting the same result.(overboost)

oh, it was plumbed exactly the same as every other mbc for an external WG. EBC controlled line to the top of the WG (normally open to atm) and cold pipe plumbed to the bottom of the WG.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:04:08 AM by DRFT »

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:49 AM »

Right.

What the fuck are you doing running a GEMS on a Miata, anyway?

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 09:34:15 AM »

Right.

Why the fuck are you doing running a GEMS on    drifting  a Miata, anyway?

fuck you

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »

Waits for the disco potato pic...
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »

I am still trying to figure out why this thread is called "Miatas and big turbos" I understand the miata and turbo part, but so far there has not been anything even remotely big about this thread other then spiker.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

jabberwock

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »

Miatas need lsjuans :mexi:

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »

I am still trying to figure out why this thread is called "Miatas and big turbos" I understand the miata and turbo part, but so far there has not been anything even remotely big about this thread other then spiker.
+1

I was also wondering that.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »

Nolans VITARA D16 is making 34 PSI before 6500

T3 GT3076.

:yes:

---GFI we build FAST---

asx

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »

Iirc jeff abbot ran a super60 or similar from turbonetics and made 300hp with a lot of low end on his NB but snapped turboshafts every other event. Look for his info on mt.net username turns101. I think he went to something like a 2871 in a t3 flange, similar power but less down low.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »

Nolans VITARA D16 is making 34 PSI before 6500 but no psi until after 5500

T3 GT3076.

You can look up every last one of my posts on GT30, they are light switches.  You can not pedal them to keep the boost from coming on so hard it rips the tires free.

That might be all well and good for drift, and in a drag car where you have a wrinkle wall and proper boost by gear (although not ideal if the driver has to change the way the car is driven for track conditions), but it makes for a shitty track or street car.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:49:51 AM by Joseph Davis »

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »

The point was that it makes boost (alot of it) before 6k as mentioned sir. The homosexuality of how it comes on is not being debated.

I agree.

Ive ridden in Hs , Rbs, Ds and Bs with them... Personally, Id prefer to see a 61mm -maybe not in this case....snail as spool is negligable (in my eyes... I apologize to all you fagots that insist on 2500 rpm spool and a difference of 500 rpms of doing so...... Mitch -cough cough) but it comes on smoother and makes alot more peak power,

but thats just me
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:58:19 AM by bigdaddyvtec »

---GFI we build FAST---

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »

The point was that it makes boost (alot of it) before 6k as mentioned sir.

But, sir?  What good is that?  If you run a lot of boost the intake temperatures will skyrocket.  Danger to manifold will ensue.  Don't make me tell you what happens to floorboards in that situation.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 11:59:12 AM »

The point was that it makes boost (alot of it) before 6k as mentioned sir.

But, sir?  What good is that?  If you run a lot of boost the intake temperatures will skyrocket.  Danger to manifold will ensue.  Don't make me tell you what happens to floorboards in that situation.

You wouldnt catch that faggot turbo on anything I own Sir.  :noel:

---GFI we build FAST---

jabberwock

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »

solution: lsjuan

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 12:59:47 PM »

T3 GT3076.

You can look up every last one of my posts on GT30, they are light switches.  You can not pedal them to keep the boost from coming on so hard it rips the tires free.

That might be all well and good for drift, and in a drag car where you have a wrinkle wall and proper boost by gear (although not ideal if the driver has to change the way the car is driven for track conditions), but it makes for a shitty track or street car.

So what are you saying about them? is it a turbo selection vs engine issue? because s2000's love gt30's, and so does pretty much every other engine but i guess d series?

I still have to ask the question, are these 6k spool guys running funky gt30 setup's like .82 a/r t3 housings and other dumb shit?

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »

T3 GT3076.

So what are you saying about them? is it a turbo selection vs engine issue? because s2000's love gt30's, and so does pretty much every other engine but i guess d series?

I've used them on sleeved ITRs before, 4500rpm lightswitch where you go from 100 whp to 450 whp in -200 rpms.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »

Just put an HX-35 on it or an S300G, so at least it sorta maybe gets into a "big" turbo as far as miata's are concerned.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

DRFT

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

In my situation, im not really worried about the fact that boost comes on like a light.

at 3-5psi on a 30R i will be making considerably more power than stock which will work fine being in a not-fully-spooled rpm range.
I dont plan on doing auto-x because its not my scene. Go out to the big track and kicking it is the full plan.

i find the fact that 5000-8000 boost being shitty as irrelevant... miata gear sets are super close so i shouldnt have an issue with falling out of the powerband. think y1 b series transmission... (Even though i have the 3.636 final drive in my car...the ratios are still tight)

This whole debate initiated between myself and TTC since he thought i was silly for wanting more power... but if you watch that video, my car could certainly use it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:16:59 PM by DRFT »

DRFT

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »

also, the setup in question.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »

at 3-5psi on a 30R i will be making considerably more power than stock which will work fine.
I dont plan on doing auto-x because its not my scene. Go out to the big track and kicking it is the full plan.

If you mean drift faggoting around, sure you'll do that fine.  When you say "big track" I hope you don't think a non-linear and robust powerband in an NA chassis tin can is going to be remotely controllable, or in any way shape or form faster.  A good driver in a stock Miata will tear you up on a technical roadcourse... if the track has mile long straights like VIR the roles will be reversed, but you're going to be waving by a whole lot of cars you passed on the straights when the first curve comes.

TTC

• Certified OG
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »

Our discussion wasnt that you don't need more power, it was that you dont need more peak power, you need torque to get the tires going and have it in usable areas.

EDIT:

Also, this is what your 40s drift sessin will be like

no power no power n opweer POWER Slide, nexzt turn, onoes fell out of boost, no power no power, nexzt turn, no power no power POWER, spin out smoke spin out, burnout go, shift no power no power repeat.

When you're banging of the rev limiter it will be joyous, but the second you have to let off the throttle its gonna suck balls.

I say buy a BW or precision or something.

When you drift, are they not normally really tight for the most part? At some point you're going to fall out of the power band.  You have a tiny wheel base, tiny tires in a light car.  You don't have the luxury that the bigger toyotas and nisAnd because I'm an intellectual being,  have, they make a mistake and their cars are long and stable enough to recover.  They also have enough torque off boost to fix sloppy mistakese.

One thing for sure, this car at that power will either drastically force you to improve your skills quickly, or smash your car.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:06:40 PM by TTC »

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

at 3-5psi on a 30R i will be making considerably more power than stock which will work fine.

If you mean drift faggoting around, sure you'll do that fine.  When you say "big track" I hope you don't think a non-linear and robust powerband in an NA chassis tin can is going to be remotely controllable, or in any way shape or form faster.  A good driver in a stock Miata will tear you up on a technical roadcourse... if the track has mile long straights like VIR the roles will be reversed, but you're going to be waving by a whole lot of cars you passed on the straights when the first curve comes.

He came out to a local autocross, got his ass handed to him by stock cars on snow tires (no I am not joking) and left verrry pissed off according to some prominent locals.

matt even on a track Rob Switzers 1.8L na would ass rape you on a track , and Bill Rogerson would make you his GF with his measly 12psi  FM kit.

you aren't about "tearing up the track"  you are about sicck drifiting, and thereis a biggg difference. Nothing wrong with it , but this has already happened where the stockers put the hurt on you.

fuck you

DRFT

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 04:04:13 PM »

Jon, being my first time to autoX i didnt know what to expect.

5-1 minute runs in an entire day sitting around being told to marshal while there is noone lined up is kinda really gay. i was pissed that i spent like 40$ to sit in the sun.

Im not here to argue over my goals, that is what they are and they arent going to change.

im looking at a precision 5557 with a 0.64 hotside.  debating on the ball bearing or journal bearing.

I dont really care if someone is better than me at XX or faster. this is a hobby and if i want to compete i would care more.

ktown powder coating

• Noob of the month Oct 09
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »

ya , you didn't rip up anything

PS.... where is your noobie post and boobs!

DRFT

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »

I didnt rip up anything, nope.

Stretched tires on the newly paved shannonville skidpad just slide.

Intro post will come when i get home from work.

What are peoples oppinions on the pte 5557?

comparing the wheels, it has a much smaller turbine wheel than the garrett 30's and the compressor wheel is pretty much smack dab in the middle of a 3071 and a 3076.

Couple that with the small 0.64 hotside and i think that it will work quite well on my setup. (i dont have efficiency charts for it though)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up