:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ApexSilver06MR/Jason YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering write-up.  (Read 5512 times)

Logan76

Soldering write-up.
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »

Can anyone who has alot of soldering experience post up a soldering write up with video or pictures? I can solder wires, Ive done a few Nissan swaps and am in the process of a wire tuck on my EG as we speak. The soldering questions I pose are, How to solder and De-solder on circuit boards such as ECU's. I know nothing about tuning other than very simple stuff, but I do all my own work that I can do, and I plan to tune my car myself, even if I do blow the damn thing up, its all a learning process for me. Thanks fella's. ???

Ghetto_D

• Certified OG
  • Ho Chi Minh Shoot a Load on your CHin
Re: Soldering write-up.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:48 PM »

Ill take my camera tonight when i go to work. We have a soldering station with anything you could possibly use for soldering.

Ill try to cover the basics on how to prep the iron, tining wire, soldering 2 wire, soldering and desoldering a chip, rework, and what your solder should and shouldnt look like.

ill post it in the fab section.

finally the years of schooling will pay off.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »

I looked around on the megasquirt forum, somewhere in the build guide there was a nice right up on how to solder that led me in the right direction.
If you don't get what you need there or on here, head to butler or saxonburg area and i can show you.

Logan76

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

Tim you live in PA? I worked in butler for 3 years and I live in East Brady right now. Thanks for the help fella's, ill keep an eye out for the video Ghetto.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »

From what I know of it, I like east brady.  I head there every fall and hike around brady's bend and on the 'rails to trails' and the old turntable at phillipston.

Logan76

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »

Well I work at Daman Industrial Services, and they have a building a bradys bend, so I used to live in closer to Kittanning with my parents but I moved up here this summer just because im 2 miles from my work. There's plenty of gamelands to hike on up here we walk our dogs atleast a mile or so on them everyday, and for the most part its just old fuckers that live up here so no one really bothers me.

Toysrme

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »

15-30w iron
rosin core solder
clean what you're soldering with thinner
heat the iron & clean it, wet sponge sitting in a dish of water works well
tin the iron with a small dab of solder
for wires tin the wires (heat & apply solder) first. then put together
for boards heat the board & component until hot enough to flow solder & apply some WITHOUT hitting the iron or overheating the parts

clean the joint with thinner
reclean iron
smallest parts first, big irons for larger jobs, heatsink parts to keep them from overheating
and dont forget to put heatshrink on one of the wires you are going to solder BEFORE doing it LoL!

try not to use a big iron unless you need to. you're not doing stained glass so no reason to break out the giant 200w iron! (Ueven if you're cutting foam with it hah)

SgtB

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »

Buy a brass brillo pad and stop wasting your time with wet sponges. It works 1000x better, and doesn't quench the tip. Just jab the tip in there a couple times and it's spotless. Any joint you make should be shinny. If it's dull and gray you didn't heat both parts enough. If it's a sphere you didn't heat it enough as well. If the solder doesn't stick, add a little more flux and maybe a little more heat if the part is bulky like a terminal for example. You should also use the side of the tip not the very end of it. Think surface area. The quicker you can put heat on both parts and get off of them, the safer you are from frying them. Excuse my drunken ramble. I'll be back home Tuesday and can give a how-to if anyone's interested.

Foowee

• Certified OG

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

i learned to solder from a buddy with a turbo mercedes.... the rest i picked up from tim by asking stupid questions or watching him do shit for me
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Logan76

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »

Maybe Ill grab an ECU from the Junkyard and practice De-soldering on it. Thanks for the help fella's well see what happens once I start doing more soldering, fuck I still need to find an ECU for my B16... ::)

b20x

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 12:38:23 AM »

Practice and make your own ecu for your b16a.  :yes:

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 01:05:33 AM »

this is the BEST intro guide if you already know some tidbits into soldering.

http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/101

Teg2boo

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »

If you brake the printed circuit like I did, just run a real wire, works #1  :somb:

damn you guys too? its a fucking forum not a court room!
 Its not a forum its a gang.  

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 02:29:31 AM »

holy fuck that resistor is small
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Logan76

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »

complex I may take you up on that bud.

Logan76

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 01:36:02 AM »

awesome, you sure you dont want anything for them? I could drop by and pick them up too, no sense in shipping the fuckers.

Not to venture too far off topic, but none of you PA local's know of any junkyards with cummin's trucks in them do ya? Im looking to pick up an HX35 or HY35 and I cant find one local for the life of me. ???

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:22 AM »

you heat until it turns into a puddle that gets sucked into whatever you're trying to solder.

I use desoldering wick to desolder.  You lay it ontop of whatever you're trying to desolder and heat it until it sucks the solder in.  There are better ways but a wick is cheap

Desolder wick is fucking gay, I hate it like i hate you. :P I really only use solder suckers now. Wick braid is only useful where a sucker tip won't fit.

In my opinion, you only need 4 things to desolder/solder well:
Good solder (63/37 or 60/40 work tits for electronics, but not very strong)
Flux
Solder Sucker
Decent iron/gun with the right CLEAN tip; I use a weller 100w for brute force, and a cheaper 5-30w adjustable for everything else (chrome-plated tips last forever)

THis coming from a guy who's done everything from $70 R/C batteries to 44-wire PS2 chips. All PS2 chips require a few wires to the dvd drive chip, which has micro pins like that '101' video's QFP .5 pitch chip.

FYI if you want to 'cheat' based on that '101' video, USE FLUX. I always use a dab of flux paste on wires, and it makes shit so much quicker. You spend a little more time cleaning up, but its worth it.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

you heat until it turns into a puddle that gets sucked into whatever you're trying to solder.

I use desoldering wick to desolder.  You lay it ontop of whatever you're trying to desolder and heat it until it sucks the solder in.  There are better ways but a wick is cheap

USE FLUX. I always use a dab of flux paste on wires, and it makes shit so much quicker. You spend a little more time cleaning up, but its worth it.

flux in solder is like fluxcore in welding.  there isn't anything you can't do with flux  :somb: O0

well the rule of thumb is that if your melting the fluxcore directly to the iron, then its not worth it.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:06:57 PM »

i learned practicing with and old PM5 ecu  :yes:

Logan76

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »

Complex, whats your labor charge like? I just looked for about 20 minutes and couldnt find any damn info on the powerstroke turbos, What flange are they T3 or T4? any info on the a/r?

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »

complex I may take you up on that bud.

sure, ford toyota and honda ecus all for the grabs.

if i have any other shit that works, ill throw it in a box too
hmm I wouldn't mind stealing some parts from some ecu's.  I also have a dead ecu or two I can donate if you wanna practice soldering, I scavange parts off the dead ones and could care less about the carcass.

What you have runable now?  Complex and I are supposed to go to PRP on the 11th, mini WPA meet?

Logan76

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »

Nope, my shits beat. I need to finish my motor and get some bodywork done yet, not to mention im short a whole front clip because the kid i bought the car from parked in pittsburgh and someone kicked in all his front panels and his bumper was fucked. I do have a DD though, its a heap, but it runs. I would go down depending on what time you guys go.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 01:23:50 PM »

april 11th you queer? if its may maybe i can bring my faggot slowmobile and blow it up again  :yes: thats the day after my spring semester ends and a day before my summer semester starts

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »

bringing it to pa = cost more than the engine  :-X

I keep considering it and it keeps sounding better but unless you know someone who wants to tow it 500 miles for free im forced to swap rotating assemblies in my driveway, in car

Logan76

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 04:04:41 PM »

meh Ive already got a T4 manifold, I dont know how well my b16 would spool a 1.10A/R turbo anyway. :( Thanks anyway.

If any of you guys see any cummins trucks in junkyards around here, give me a shout Ill grab the turbo off them. lol

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »

yea well give you a shout and you give 20$ and a handjob

chris

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »

If you have a joint that doesnt want to desolder all the way, solder the joint again and try to desolder again. Usually does the trick

The magic smoke when desoldering is a good thing but like welding it takes practice to know when to stop. Oh ya open a window too

Also when you desolder make sure the iron is very very very hot I like to let it go for 10 minutes before I start

Logan76

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »

Are both of you fella's taking your car's down to the test n tune? I wonder if my saturn could break 14's bone stock.  ::)

Logan76

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 12:16:52 AM »

Welp, It is one of those Ion redlines with the supercharged ecotec (piece of shit, but I got a good deal on it), if I ran it and broke into the 14's I would be happy, its on some near death street tires lol.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up