:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Doug's 99 GSR Failure  (Read 54188 times)

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
Re: Doug's 99 GSR Failure
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

What the shit, why can't she be nude???

Cars looking good, even though you doug'd me out of that muffler.

I really don't want to waste 6 hours of my time re painting my wheels, too bad your not local doug, I would take you to the liquor store after you finished my wheels. Drinking + sanding + painting doesn't work to well. Haha

Where's the snail??

Yeah haha, this muffler fits better the way the bumper is "cut out". I will probably end up putting it back up for sale once I pick up a catback on the cheap. Yeah to be honest I would probably have to have have a few shots before I started doing wheels again. All the little "nooks and crannies" make prepping them take forever. Not only that, but it took longer for me because someone had done a crappy job before and I was sanding out damage. If your wheels aren't damaged and haven't been ghetto painted it should be easy.

That's the problem, they have been sprayed with spray paint. My car had 17" chrome wheels and I traded for these 15s
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2010, 07:17:52 PM »

I really don't want to waste 6 hours of my time re painting my wheels, too bad your not local doug, I would take you to the liquor store after you finished my wheels. Drinking + sanding + painting doesn't work to well. Haha

Where's the snail??

Yeah haha, this muffler fits better the way the bumper is "cut out". I will probably end up putting it back up for sale once I pick up a catback on the cheap. Yeah to be honest I would probably have to have have a few shots before I started doing wheels again. All the little "nooks and crannies" make prepping them take forever. Not only that, but it took longer for me because someone had done a crappy job before and I was sanding out damage. If your wheels aren't damaged and haven't been ghetto painted it should be easy.

That's the problem, they have been sprayed with spray paint. My car had 17" chrome wheels and I traded for these 15s

Can probably find someone to sand blast them or just pick up a cheap sand blaster at harbor. If I was doing it on a set I planned to keep I would just take it down to bare metal, primer, paint, and then clear or have them powder coated.

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »

Where's the snail??

Can probably find someone to sand blast them or just pick up a cheap sand blaster at harbor. If I was doing it on a set I planned to keep I would just take it down to bare metal, primer, paint, and then clear or have them powder coated.

Would love to have them powder coated black or bronze, but that shit is $$$$
fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.. nbspnbsp BIG FUCKING MISTAKE

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2010, 02:58:20 AM »

Oh yeah, on another note. I traded the guy $20, my altezzas, neons, and white gauges for his OEM tails. Once there I mentioned getting rid of the emblems and he hopped on them also. It was a PITA getting his OEM emblems off and the front one peeled some of the chrome foil crap off. Oh well saves me the trouble of buying one of them at least.

Where's the snail??

Would love to have them powder coated black or bronze, but that shit is $$$$

Send them to me and I will repaint them for those subs  :-*

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »

Would love to if they didn't cost $$$$ to send haha, doug I'm cheap like you are man.

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »

Another small victory. The WD-40 worked great on the adhesive for the emblems, stickers, and fish. Went ahead and took the DOCH VTEC badge off the back also. Thinking about sticking a LS emblem on it just to not tempt people anymore than they already are. Oh and of course the red emblem was exchanged for a OEM unit.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:04 AM »

Oh yeah, and at one point I dropped the wrench behind the plastic panel and had to dig it out. In the same spot as the wrench I found a bag of plastic washers and this picture

ITS A TRAP!

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2010, 02:34:27 AM »

lol

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »

Now that you say that, sHE could almost pass for a SHE  :?:

-BUK

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2010, 04:10:52 PM »

Now that you say that, sHE could almost pass for a SHE  :?:

She reminds me of one of the Goombas off the Mario Brothers movie.

Local guy has some DR16s with new tires he would trade for the Si's as he has a EM1 he is trying to sell. Not sure I feel the red, and I sure as hell don't want to be painting rims anytime soon. Thoughts?

Photochopied

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »

The wheels in the top pic look great, what's wrong with them?
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »

Wrong size tires. They have 195/50's which are too small for the teg. It needs either a 195/55 or 205/50. The red ones have the correct 205/50's

glustic

• Certified OG
  • Jay is a fucking homo
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »

Wrong size tires. They have 195/50's which are too small for the teg. It needs either a 195/55 or 205/50. The red ones have the correct 205/50's

Fuck it. I would just keep what you have. Those wheels would make your car say "steal me"

-BUK

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »

yeah, 1cm wider tires would make all the difference.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

Umm apparently you don't know how to read tires. The circumference would be 1.26" bigger for 205/50 vs the 195/50.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »

i do. And I ran those two sizes through some online calculator and got 22.67" and 23.07", or 1/2" taller, which is just over 1cm taller for the 1cm gained.

bigwig

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2010, 12:05:52 AM »

Wheel faggots are wheel faggots.  There is no talking sense to people who hunt around craigslist looking for sweet wheels.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »

Miata faggots are Miata faggots.  We take up for each other no matter if it's blatantly obvious we're wrong. Who's want's to play cock tag?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »

Red DR16s are full of AIDS.

MAJORAHOLE

• fuckin C-unt
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »

Umm apparently you don't know how to read tires. The circumference would be 1.26" bigger for 205/50 vs the 195/50.

you want taller tires?

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »

Red DR16s are full of AIDS.

Yeah they wouldn't be staying that color, I just don't want to mess with painting rims again right now. I decided against it though as I would prefer some grids.

you want taller tires?

Yes the tires on these are too small which don't fill out the wheel well right and the speedo is off.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »

I love when things start going wrong. So ever since I have gotten the car I have noticed between 1-2 and 2-3 gear that it would have a slight pop in between shifts. When I got to looking I noticed that the distributor was advanced all the way. I figured this was the cause of the popping, but didn't address it yet.

Now two days ago I went to the store and sat there with the car running to wait for the passenger to come out. When we started to leave the car started missing really bad. The check engine light came on and as I drove it home it would miss/stumble for a second or two then run right for a second or two.

Later that night I started it up and it ran fine again. The next day I checked the CEL and it was a random misfire. I took the plug cover off to find that the #1 plug wire wasn't even popped down all the way. I popped it on and started the car and it ran fine again. I assume that fixed the problem so didn't bother changing plugs yet. Drove the car around for a good 30 min that night and never had a problem.

Now today I decide that I am going to back the ignition timing off as I'm sure it isn't good for it to be advanced all the way. I jump the connector, move the dizzy to the middle position, and then start the car. Unless the dizzy is advanced all the way the car starts stumbling/missing at idle. Then when I started reeving the car up it was missing again like the day before.

Now I'm not sure if the missing now has to do with the same issue as before, or if it's because the dizzy is out of time. Either way I don't understand why the dizzy would have to be advanced all the way for the car to run right. I don't have a timing light, but will be getting one to check the dizzy timing.

Could it be that when the timing belt was done it is a tooth off and the dizzy must be advanced all the way to make it run properly?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »

Possible, yes.

It should exhibit some abnormal behavior though such as being uber sluggish at lower RPMs.

It wouldn't hurt to inspect the entire secondary side of the ignition system as well.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »

Yup what snm95ls said, if it was a tooth off there would be more than random misfires.  The day I rode in it, it accelerated just fine and pulled like it should.  I don't think the timing is off...

When I fixed Tim's CRV, the timing was off a tooth, and like snm said it was ridiculously sluggish at lower RPMs, and once it hit around 3000-3500rpm it would take off.  When I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get my ignition timing correct, I purposely set the timing off 1 tooth both directions just to see.  When I retarded the timing 1 tooth and advanced the distributor all the way, it ran like shit.

Maybe something is up with the distributor?  When I get the new engine together, if I still cannot set the ignition timing I am going to start with the distributor...

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »

Possible, yes.

It should exhibit some abnormal behavior though such as being uber sluggish at lower RPMs.

It wouldn't hurt to inspect the entire secondary side of the ignition system as well.

Yeah I know I had the belt on my Del Sol off by a tooth and it ran "fine", but was really sluggish. Even with the dizzy advanced all the way it should still feel sluggish? It doesn't feel sluggish at all and has plenty of power.

I'll get a timing light to check it out. I'll probably go ahead and change the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires also. The fact the dizzy has to be advanced all the way just throws me off.

Yup what snm95ls said, if it was a tooth off there would be more than random misfires.  The day I rode in it, it accelerated just fine and pulled like it should.  I don't think the timing is off...

When I fixed Tim's CRV, the timing was off a tooth, and like snm said it was ridiculously sluggish at lower RPMs, and once it hit around 3000-3500rpm it would take off.  When I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get my ignition timing correct, I purposely set the timing off 1 tooth both directions just to see.  When I retarded the timing 1 tooth and advanced the distributor all the way, it ran like shit.

Maybe something is up with the distributor?  When I get the new engine together, if I still cannot set the ignition timing I am going to start with the distributor...

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. It's just cheaper to fix all the other ignition parts first as the dizzy is the most expensive.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »

Oh yeah also when I moved the dizzy I plugged the service connector, moved the dizzy to center, THEN started the car. Is it possible this just fucked the dizzy timing up since it was moved while the car was off?

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »

Wat?

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

Wat?

The dizzy was sitting all the way advanced. I plugged the service connector, undone the dizzy bolts, and moved it to the center. Then I started the car. I didn't have the car started before I moved the distributor to the center position.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »

Wat?

The dizzy was sitting all the way advanced. I plugged the service connector, undone the dizzy bolts, and moved it to the center. Then I started the car. I didn't have the car started before I moved the distributor to the center position.

Makes absolutely zero difference.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »

Well I went and started it again and it works fine again. I'm guessing the misfire issue from the other day popped back up at the same time so it seems as though it's two separate issues. I'll get a timing light and check the dizzy timing, and then start going through some of the ignition crap.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up