:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Doug's 99 GSR Failure  (Read 53288 times)

Jorsher

• Certified OG
Re: Another Naturally Aspirated Failure
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 12:19:03 AM »

nice ride man, i have the black leathers if you want them

He probably does.

speedjunky01

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:23 AM »

He probably does.
Not for free lol

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »

Jew power activate

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 03:24:42 AM »

Shazam, guy had some tail lights for $40 + $15 shipping on eBay with a best offer thing. Offered $25 and was accepted. $40 for some nice clean OEM tails, can't go wrong.

colt45

• Mista Pimpsta
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »

just thank your lucky stars the interior isnt maroon.  i hate that shit

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »

ABS... chop, chop, gone

Not worth the effort on those cars.  I'd just leave it.

97Econobox

• Certified OG
  • Some may never live, but the crazy never die
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

ABS... chop, chop, gone

Why would you do that?
abs is worthless
worthless if you know how to drive.

i highly recommend it for asian women

This is Dollar store logic.  are we really about to have a "Not having ABS is safer and better than having it"

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that its a better setup than the braking techniques used from the  70's.

i ate your mom'#39#39s dick last night :?:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/nacvicsi/Untitled.gif

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »

ABS... chop, chop, gone

Why would you do that?
abs is worthless
worthless if you know how to drive.

i highly recommend it for asian women

This is Dollar store logic.  are we really about to have a "Not having ABS is safer and better than having it"

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that its a better setup than the braking techniques used from the  70's.

Yeah, this was why I asked.

If you "know how to drive" and don't need it, great.  I don't see how it'd hurt to leave it.  Would rather find out I don't know how to drive by the ABS working than asssume that I do know how to and end up fucking up in a real world scenario.

When people are involved in unexpected situations they're a bit more likely to slam the brakes than when in a controlled situation attempting to prove they don't need ABS.

97Econobox

• Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »

the whole"Knowing how to drive = knowing you pump brakes for non ABS vs just slam and hold WITH abs" is just plain retarded.  thats just knowing what options your car has.  Ive driven both and panic stopped both and never had an issue either way.

speedjunky01

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »

Could always just pull the abs motor fuse, that way when you go to sell or trade it in you get a higher value from the extra option that everyday folks look for. What I did in my 93 ex

97Econobox

• Certified OG
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »

I still dont get it.  if its in the car why would you disable it?

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »

I'm with him.  Still seems about as pointless as removing airbags.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

It's downright terrifying in icy/snow conditions.  Car is totally unpredictable braking.  It's probably good for someone that doesn't know how to drive in the snow, but I'd rather have direct control over my braking, especially in the snow. 

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:17 PM »

We rarely have snow here...and when we do I try not to drive to avoid others that can't drive.

potatodude

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »

Could always just pull the abs motor fuse, that way when you go to sell or trade it in you get a higher value from the extra option that everyday folks look for. What I did in my 93 ex

My abs started acting up so i pulled the fuse, has a much better feel now.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:19 PM »

On the way home I noticed a few times that the rear right brake was squeaking/scrubbing. I decided to go ahead and replace the brakes today. Drivers side rear came off and went on without a problem. Still had a ok amount of pad left. The passengers side was a different nightmare.

The pads were completely gone and the piston was seized out. I tried my damnedest to get the piston to go back in, but it was bending tools and not moving. Ended up just buying a new one. Saved $15 for going ahead and ordering the front brake pads with the caliper purchase so looks like the front brakes will be changed as well.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 11:04:50 PM »

Wouldn't turn at all?

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »

Wouldn't turn at all?

Nope wouldn't budge. Probably been seized for awhile. The drivers side pads were about half left, the passengers side were down to metal. I had hoped to be able to rebuild the caliper since the rebuild kit was only $4.

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »

Drill a hole in the middle of the cross part, tap, thread in a bolt, and try to turn it :P  Fill hole with jb weld.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »

Oh and I thought about how the ride sure did feel nice and comfortable and didn't feel too bad at all. The ride height looked fine for me and I love being able to go over bumps without feeling like the front end was being ripped off. The "cheap lowering springs the previous owner put on" that the guy mentioned turned out to be H&R OE sport springs. Glad to know I won't have to mess with them so that made the caliper issue a little more tolerable.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 11:19:34 PM »

Drill a hole in the middle of the cross part, tap, thread in a bolt, and try to turn it :P  Fill hole with jb weld.

Na I already placed the order for the new one.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 04:14:41 AM »

I hope all parties involved know those pistons get twisted in, not pressed.

I actually had to dick with mine AGAIN yesterday (2 long stories). This car is so rusty it's amazing, and as much luck is - all the fucking outter seals are gone. So...I made a fucking tool for it. 1/2" socket with an "L" bar welded on. Breaker bar makes short work of frozen calipers. It's a whole lot cheaper than rebuilt calipers. I was going to post it up anyways, since I'm so smitten with it.

Anyways, good score with the springs. My car ended up with some Eibach sports like that too, makes for such a nice yet low ride.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »

Got the new brakes and caliper on today. I tried to just bleed the wheel I removed the caliper on, but it was still way too soft. I then went through and bled each wheel in order per the helms. The brakes pump up and feel really firm with the car off. When you start the car they get softer and the pedal goes down a good bit before you get any stopping power. I didn't have any air in the lines so i don't know what it's problem is.

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 12:10:56 AM »

Master cylinder?

Turkey soup pancakes sir

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »

The brakes pump up and feel really firm with the car off. When you start the car they get softer and the pedal goes down a good bit before you get any stopping power. I didn't have any air in the lines so i don't know what it's problem is.
my mom's car is the same way. brakes great, no air in the lines, just the pedal goes down further than i like

I don't know, I don't recall the brakes being that soft before the repair. I would have noticed it right off. I don't like brakes that you barely touch and they engage, but I don't like ones that go down and feel spongy either.

Master cylinder?

I thought about that. Only thing is it was fine before so I don't know why it would have just randomly went out then. Not only that but if the master was going out I'm sure I could just hold the pedal down and eventually it would go down and touch the floor wouldn't it?

jagojon3

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »

Not necessarily, could have gotten some air in it that won't leave by bleeding at the wheels

Turkey soup pancakes sir

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »

The brakes pump up and feel really firm with the car off. When you start the car they get softer and the pedal goes down a good bit before you get any stopping power. I didn't have any air in the lines so i don't know what it's problem is.
my mom's car is the same way. brakes great, no air in the lines, just the pedal goes down further than i like

I don't know, I don't recall the brakes being that soft before the repair. I would have noticed it right off. I don't like brakes that you barely touch and they engage, but I don't like ones that go down and feel spongy either.

Master cylinder?

I thought about that. Only thing is it was fine before so I don't know why it would have just randomly went out then. Not only that but if the master was going out I'm sure I could just hold the pedal down and eventually it would go down and touch the floor wouldn't it?
usually the pedal will go all the way down if you hold it. (if the master cylinder was bad)
i don't know if it's a 100% way to tell or not though.

i know my mom's master is not bad and i know it has been like this for a long time.
it bugs the hell out of me, but i've done everything i can to fix it. even brought it to a place for a free brake inspection. they said it felt spongy and bleed it for free (which they said it didn't need) they checked the master cylinder and said it was fine.
it's felt like this since the first time i did the brakes on it back in 04. i never drove the car before doing the brakes so i have no idea if they always felt like this.
my mom said it felt the same.

not sure why yours felt fine before doing the brakes.

Well I don't remember how they felt before, but I just think I would have noticed it being too soft as I thought it right off the bat after changing them. I don't want to replace the master and find out it was fine as the new master is like $120.

Not necessarily, could have gotten some air in it that won't leave by bleeding at the wheels

Trapped where? How would I get it out? 

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 02:55:16 AM »

The new caliper came with two copper washers that go on each side of the banjo bolt. I only used one as only one came off when I took the original off. The bolt has a lip that looks just like the washer that came off that I can't tell if it's part of the bolt or the actual washer just smashed on there. Thing wouldn't budge so I just replaced the one I knew came off. Maybe I need to put the other washer on as it might not be sealing all the way?

I was just opening the bleed valves and letting it shoot out into a cup. Once it was a nice steady stream I did each wheel two more times just to be safe. Maybe I should have used a tube submerged into fluid? I don't see how air would have got back in that way as the pedal was held down until sealed back, but who knows.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 02:58:52 AM »

Did you follow the correct bleed order?

IIRC it is RR, LF, LR, RF for those cars.

Dunno.  Every Honduh I has been a little bit of a bitch.

Doug

• Certified OG
  • Get Doug'd biatch
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 03:00:43 AM »

Did you follow the correct bleed order?

IIRC it is RR, LF, LR, RF for those cars.

Dunno.  Every Honduh I has been a little bit of a bitch.

Yes per Helms the order on the 98-01 Integra with or without ABS is FL, FR, RR, RL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up