:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: finding a power drain. How do I do it?  (Read 6634 times)

ironcrx

finding a power drain. How do I do it?
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:26 PM »

So im going to back to work on the 200sx after taking a break from it for a few weeks (did the b18 swap in the crx)

I got an issue with a power drain again.  The battery is dead after a day or two of sitting and it pisses me off.  I heard of the trick with a multi meter and fuse pulling but I got a few hang ups with it...

What do I have the multi meter set to?  I got one my brother bought me and of course being who he is (works at some high security government contract place) he buys me a multimeter with too much shit to pick from and Im not too familiar with them in the first place.

In the end, some one please explain to me how the fuck to find a power drain.

oh yea: I searched and googled it and found a few things but they werent explained well enough or just didnt apply to my case.  I need watered down help
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
Re: finding a power drain. How do I do it?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »

Pretty sure you put the positive from the multi-meter on the negative of the battery.. Then the negative of of the multi-meter on a body ground...  Put the multi-meter on volts, then start pulling fuse's...  When current drops then you found the promblem...

Say you have it set up like i said...  Then you pull the radio fuse and the volts drop... The promblem is with the radio wiring...

Get it?

fysh

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »

Use a battery disconnect tool. Its got a dial or lever on it that disconnects the terminal from the clamp. Put multimeter on the actual terminal and the other lead on the far side of the tool where the clamp is attached to. You should see a drain of < 30 - 50mv depending on how many memory fuctions the car has or stay-awake modules like the security alarm. If its higher than that then you start pulling fuses one at a time until your excessive drain goes away.

lsone_chevelle

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:42:35 PM »

post a picture of the multi meter and I'll fucking tell you how

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:41:28 AM »

Put the multi-meter on volts, then start pulling fuse's...  When current drops ...
No offense but ignore this he mixed shit up.

Multimeter should have a separate terminal for the red lead to measure current. It should say fused 10A or something similar.

Disconnect the positive battery cable, connect the red lead of the multimeter from that fused input to the battery cable of your car. Connect the black lead of the meter to the terminal of the battery.

Turn the multimeter to measure current. If its real fancy you want DC Amps. It will be an A with a solid line over a dashed line, not the A~.

The number you see is the current flow draining your battery. As you pull fuses one by one this will drop. I don't know what is considered normal so try another good car first to compare. Once you find a fuse that makes the number drop see what that fuse is for and see why its using so much power with the car off.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »

Disconnect the neg battery cable hook up a test light to the cable you just Disconnect and the Negative post of the battery. The light should be very dim, if its not start pulling fuses until it is.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:25:54 AM »

If you don't mind it sitting for a while, pull all the fuses and add one per day. Measure the battery daily, and when voltage drops noticably you've found the leaker. Sometimes it's as simple as a frayed power wire rubbing on a rusty surface.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

skaterdudz02

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »

Fuck a multimeter.

Disconnect the battery.

Hook up a test light, one end on the neg part of the battery, other on the neg cable end.

Touch the neg terminal end to the battery for 5 seconds.

Pull it away with the test light still connected.

If you have a drain, it will illuminate.

Start pulling fuses one at a time till the light goes away.

Do I need to continue?

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:05 PM »

Put the multi-meter on volts, then start pulling fuse's...  When current drops ...

Multimeter should have a separate terminal for the red lead to measure current. It should say fused 10A or something similar.

Disconnect the positive battery cable, connect the red lead of the multimeter from that fused input to the battery cable of your car. Connect the black lead of the meter to the terminal of the battery.

Turn the multimeter to measure current. If its real fancy you want DC Amps. It will be an A with a solid line over a dashed line, not the A~.

The number you see is the current flow draining your battery. As you pull fuses one by one this will drop. I don't know what is considered normal so try another good car first to compare. Once you find a fuse that makes the number drop see what that fuse is for and see why its using so much power with the car off.

I love you, and want your wife to bear my children.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »

You can probably work out some sort of deal, but as the attorney in charge I am going to have to ask for your daughters hand in marriage as part of the deal. I can throw in three (3) soviet built multimeters, the likes of which you americans have never beheld. I would also like some aspirin.
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »

You can probably work out some sort of deal, but as the attorney in charge I am going to have to ask for your daughters hand in marriage as part of the deal. I can throw in three (3) soviet built multimeters, the likes of which you americans have never beheld. I would also like some aspirin.

I've told you several times, my daughter would destroy you.  I'm not being overprotective of her, Yuriy, I'm being rationally protective of you.

That, and she's told me you look like a retard the two times I showed her pictures of you.  She wants to know what's up with your beak and turtle waxed dome.  FYI.

Tim

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 07:35:31 AM »

We're driving through charlotte the 30th and 7th when shall she move in? She's a damn good cook though the deal would have to be nice

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »

turtle waxed dome? nigga please, stop deluding yourself that she'll turn down a blank check

no woman has before
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 04:32:06 PM »

We're driving through charlotte the 30th and 7th when shall she move in? She's a damn good cook though the deal would have to be nice

The food may be good, but it's still a woman to put up with.  I'll take her off your hands for free, but you'll need to drop her off the later of those two dates as I have to procure accommodations for her to stay in (doghouse in the back yard).

ironcrx

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 08:53:21 PM »

Thanks niggers.  I found that shit.  The cigarette lighter has a light inside of it.  It was knocked loose and still draining power for some reason while the car was off.  Redid the wiring for it, put it back in its place, and now all is well.
"quotquotI lost a testical to cancer and I still got more balls than anyone else in the room!"quotquot

LS1pwNzJ00

• FagoJon is queer bait
  • Certified OG
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »

ITT: attempted courtship of noodles.
http://<ltltimg src="quotquothttp://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3b3icaMwV1qzy9ouo1_500.jpg"quotquot nbspnbsp width="quotquot200"quotquot height="quotquot400"quotquot>gtgt

jay

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 03:02:45 AM »

i hoooope, i never have a... daughter.

I want you to die

Stone cold killin sandnog from the motherfuckin low cash, fuck ya, getcha pee pee wet. ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829 ♥#9829#9829   http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3871/detroit187.jpg

mycarslow

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:02:35 AM »

Buy a tool called s fuse buddy . Mine was like 10 bucks off the mac dude. One side goes to neg post other goes to the cable. At my shop we say .01-.04 a is ok the fuse deal only reads that way so u can't fuck it up. If its highr then that pull ONE fuse at a time till u get there .

DasPoop

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »

gonna chime in with some wacky random advise i had a power drain that drove me crazy found out the started solonoid was shorted slightly and was bleading of power to ground. so fuses are a great idea but sometimes you have to think outside the box
Na mike:"quotquotthe one i had was a real bbw, not just a fat chick, but a huge fat chick"quotquot

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

Buk, rest assured you will never reproduce.   Women abhor you, which has nothing to do with the fact you are a closet homosexual.
Pages: [1]   Go Up