:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what gaskets do you guys use?  (Read 5548 times)

walter

• Certified OG
what gaskets do you guys use?
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

im runing with egay gasket kit and now valve cover has a bit oil leak..even i used silicon sealer.. what do you gasket use on ur engines? i dont know if replace again head gaskets and install too ARP studs because ill get my shit boosting..or just leave it and smoke it  :noel:

patsmx5

• Certified OG
Re: what gaskets do you guys use?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:26:24 PM »

Not a honda, a mazda, but on mine I run FelPro which is just-like-OEM and it's a MLS headgasket, intake, and exhaust gasket. They don't leak period. As for the valve cover, you probably didn't do it right. You have to get the mating surfaces perfectly clean and free of oil, else the silicone RTV shit won't stick to it and seal it. Or you possibly overtorqued the valve cover. Takes me like 30 minutes to clean the valve cover and head up to do a VC gasket, but it don't leak for shit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

OEM, because its usually cheaper from the online dealerships - for HG's it actually is. The key to sealing the VC is not using a shitload of silicone, just in the areas they say to fill the cracks. If you didn't use overpriced Hondabond, you have to spray clean with Brakleen or something.

Failpro may be like other OEM's, but not like our OEM Honda parts. Our shit is awsome and you know it. :P
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:37:03 PM »

i see, here in Spain is expensive those head gasket kits.. so idk where to get, im looking on ebay.

ApexSilver06MR

• RealHomeMadeTurbo's "pee wee"
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • RealHomeMadeTurbo Resident Cocksmith!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »

i use all japan shit from worldpac!
pee wee for the size of my p..........

Nor*Cal Spoolin'#039#039 Nig Nog

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »

Failpro may be like other OEM's, but not like our OEM Honda parts. Our shit is awsome and you know it. :P
:P I know nothing bout hondas. But they got it right for mazda shit. Course mazda got a lot of things right from the factory.  :noel:

+1 to don't use too much RTV. But on mazda's they say use RTV only on the corners of the VC gasket. I used to do that, but now I put a light coat on all of it. Just guarantees it's not gonna leak. I do have an egay engine gasket set, but I'm kinda afraid to use the headgasket it came with as it just looks "cheap" compared to the FelPro. I'll probably sell it and get a FelPro for my built motor.
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

where do i can get good/cheap head gasket kit for my ZC DOHC then?  :-\

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »

I've never had an issue with ebay gaskets. I use them in every motor I install/rebuild.
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »

I've never had an issue with ebay gaskets. I use them in every motor I install/rebuild.

what ones do you get ? there is a lot of "brands" there out.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:20 PM »

I buy from cnsautoparts
www.crzytuning.com

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »

gracias hermano!

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »

I put a light coat on all of it. Just guarantees it's not gonna leak.
Fail

Only dab some in the corners where the sealing surface is interupted by a cam cap or similar.  Coating the whole thing can sometimes induce a leak and its much easier to reuse the gasket when you only have to clean up a few dabs of silicone.  Just make sure the surface is clean of dirt and oil.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 09:29:39 PM »

I put a light coat on all of it. Just guarantees it's not gonna leak.
Fail

Only dab some in the corners where the sealing surface is interupted by a cam cap or similar.  Coating the whole thing can sometimes induce a leak and its much easier to reuse the gasket when you only have to clean up a few dabs of silicone.  Just make sure the surface is clean of dirt and oil.
No fail, it doesn't leak.

But please, tell me how putting super black RTV on a valve cover gasket is going to induce a leak.  :somb:

And reusing a valve cover gasket is fail. It's soft rubber. When you torque it down the first time, it conforms to all the irregularities and seals the two surfaces together (that's what gaskets do...) After it has heat cycled a few times, it hardens and looses its ability to conform. So next time you take it off, then put it back on, it will not conform and seal again.

Conceptz-X

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »

Bro, I do this shit for a living, Tried that shit and had a few comeback, not to mention, it looks like ass when silicone is spooged out even after you wipe it up.

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »

Bro, I do this shit for a living, Tried that shit and had a few comeback, not to mention, it looks like ass when silicone is spooged out even after you wipe it up.
Tried what shit? Using a gasket sealer on a gasket? It's not uncommon.

I use that shit on everything. Ever use Indian Head brand liquid gasket shalack stuff? It's miracle in a bottle. Broke off 6 out of 13 head bolts on a Yamaha outboard. Didn't wanna pull the powerhead, so I put the indian shalack to it and put the other 7 bolts in. Been run on the water 10 times over the last year and it works fine.

I've turned a wrench before too, so I'm not as dumb as one might think.  :P

EDIT: Interesting side note: I drove my car turbocharged Dec. 30th 08'. I haven't added any oil to the engine since then, and I've put over 5k miles on it. And it's still full.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:45:10 PM by patsmx5 »

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »

my VC doesnt leak and ive had the cover off many times, never replaced the gasket once.

i can only assume its the OE gasket and its super pimptastic.

fuck worldpac.

:)
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

txdohczc

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 02:10:14 AM »

you only need to replace the gasket if it is stuck to the surface or is hard they usually dont get hard unless you over heat it or that 150k on it

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 02:45:34 AM »

Ain't nothing wrong with using a thin layer of RTV. I do it for a living too ::) (like that really means much) and I've never had issues using a light coat/dabs of RTV just to make extra sure shit seals.
www.crzytuning.com

Jorsher

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 03:32:27 AM »

I'm replacing allllllll the seals/gaskets on my engine build.  Only the front main seal is OEM, the rest are the cheapest I could find at the auto parts store.

We'll see how they hold up.  I don't really understand how you could fuck a gasket/seal up.

caged

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 04:17:36 AM »

No sealant on my gaskets, only near cam caps / joins. My own engines usually come apart again so i dont use sealant and they never leak the third time round. I also turn spanners for a living ::)
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

fishinfool88

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:08 AM »

I always put a tiny bit of silicone on the corner of the exhaust of the HG.  Seems to stopo most of the leakage that is common in that area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up