:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

GET YOUR OFFICIAL REALHOMEMADETURBO.COM STICKERS! (link)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 10" rear disc conversion  (Read 15824 times)

quadnie

• Certified OG
10" rear disc conversion
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »

Was talking to Dustin in the beach house chat.  Was wondering if anyone has used available rear disc brackets to enable DA/DC rear calipers to mount up with 4 lug EP3 rotors and rear ITR pads to convert from 9" to 10".

I've done a couple rear swaps using RSX-S/EP3 loaded rear calipers (with brackets) with the ITR pads and EP3 4 lug rotors for some really nice rear big brake kits (tore up the auto-x along with the ITR front calipers).  Was looking to possibly use DA rear calipers because they are easy to find and don't have to be inverted.  The RSX-S/EP3 caliper has to be reversed and the ITR rear calipers (that sit correctly) are way too expensive.

I know my BB6 Prelude has the ITR front/rear brake rotors/pads/calipers (not sure if rear calipers are the same) but it's 5 lug and direct swap for ITR pads.  The BB6 rear caliper brackets are easily available and cross over to the Accord/Legend/TL/TSX/Vigor.  Thus my question is; will the cheap&available Accord/Prelude rear caliper bracket fit on the existing 9" Civic/Integra rear disc brakes in order to upgrade to 10" rotors/pads?

When I get a chance I will pull apart both cars to check, but wanted to see if someone else has already done this for a cheap 10" rear conversion.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: 10" rear disc conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »

For ED/EH/EF/EG/EK/DA/DC you can use these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370773499438?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

On the Civics you use the normal EG/EK/DC rear brake brake caliper and e-brake cables.

There was a thread using Mini Cooper non-S rotors to get around 10" rear brakes.
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/209631-diy-no-bs-bolt-big-brakes-rs-gs-ls-gsr.html

I like Scarebird bracket idea more because Integra rear trailing arms are heavier.

If you just went thru the hassle of upgrading bushings in the OEM trailing arms, why would ya want to do it again.

Bottom line do not get carried with the brake size or you could out brake your tires, which a recipe for disaster.  :noel:

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »

Right, I knew about the scarebird brackets to avoid swapping over entire trailing arms.  Their ebay price is higher than their website which is only $74.   Then just add the cost of parking brake cables, 40/40 prop valve, maybe larger MC.

I'm already running the ITR front caliper 4 lug with the mini cooper rotors.  Perfect fit and no problems for a year including track time.  Before that it was redrilled Prelude rotors and shaved brackets.

I started the thread asking if anyone has confirmed using Accord/Prelude rear brackets to make it possible to bolt the DA/DC rear caliper on a 10" EP3 rear rotor and use rear ITR pads.  I've already swapped over the entire EP3/RSX-S caliper+bracket on two of my Integras so this would be for others looking to not deal with the hassle of inverted rear calipers and the general swap.  Upgrading the rears makes a huge difference, even with factory 10" fronts it helps balance the car out a lot.

I can easily out-brake street tires, but works well threshold braking with my setup. 

turbohf

• aka: the rHMT Jew
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »

thanks. but your post has nothing to do with the subject st hand. ::) those are just the same small pad/rotor da/DC/eg 9.2"... we are talking ITR/EP3 10" rears.

fronts are already covered and stickies. he was part of that discussion I believe.
Dustin  :Jew:
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)
2000 Silverado LS 5.3L Reg Cab Short Bed
1966 Chevy II Nova 400 4dr Sedan V8

'Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.'

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »

According to the Brake Expert on H-T in this thread http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3044628 :
Lemme clarify:

I've run 44 different brake combinations, from stock, to NSX Type-R brakes on all 4 wheels, to NSX rear discs and Ferrari F430 fronts. ALL of these setups had my stock drum prop valve. So a message to other EK owners. You do NOT need to change the prop valve. if you want to talk theory, I'll make a new page.

Larger MC 90-91 EF seadan with 15/16" bore bolts right in no booster swap required.  :noel:

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »

Yeah I know of lots of cars with rear disc swaps running the drum prop valve.  It's not that high on the list of things to swap, but I do need to install one on my DA once I gut the ABS crap out (that doesn't have the balls to push the larger brakes anyways).  Also already knew the 15/16" MC bolts up to the tiny boosters.  Got one under o'rielly's lifetime warranty so I can keep swapping in my 7/8" or whatever ones I find.  Running 1" on the DA.  I need to figure out if the 91 Civic Si MC will bolt up to a '96 EK.. I'll have to have both parts in hand to look.

So what about the Accord/Prelude rear brackets for an easy 10" rotor upgrade?  Anyone tried that or should I attempt it later this week?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »

The 15/16" MC does bolt up to EK booster, read the the H-t tread I post in my last post, it covers that.  :noel:

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »

I'm gonna continue my research while at work....err break time  ::) I got my tools with me. might hit up jy on the way home...
1987 Buick Regal Limited 6.0L/4L80E (LQ4, 862 heads, tbss intake, 92mm tb, e1841p cam, Holley EFI)

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »

http://cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=141433

http://cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=141436

so. got 2 part numbers... can't really get the ITR shit easy... might try accord shit anyway...

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »

I have two sets of rear itr calipers in stock, one set of fronts and a set of spoons lol. I love brakes
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »

I have two sets of rear itr calipers in stock, one set of fronts and a set of spoons lol. I love brakes

sell me some Jew cheap rears lol. I can get fronts all day. rears are a bitch. found 2sets of RSX but only sell complete... not sure what to offer.

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »

I can never find any of that kind of shit.  Got any pictures of the rear stuff that we can compare.. maybe measurements of the rears?  The fronts are super common for anyone to find because they crossed over with so many other bigger Honda vehicles.  I have the loaded fronts with lifetime warranty so I get calipers with brackets when I trade in some bullshit DX fronts or basically anything that looks like a brake caliper.

I'm going to go take pictures of the brakes I have on the spare DA trailing arms in the back yard, measure whatever; I need to mow where they are at anyways.

The only RSX-S/EP3 rear brakes I have are already installed on cars, but I can go pull a tire for comparison.  Perhaps try and place a DA rear caliper on the RSX bracket.. although somewhat pointless because those brackets are hard to find.

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »

so save both those pics from card one. and flip back and forth on them. looks like the accord brackets have little wider mounting holes....if the pics are correct I guess....

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:08:51 AM »

Yeah I'm not going to judge shit by picture, I will take the parts in my hand and see what will work or simply bolt them up and see what is up.  Tomorrow I will try and fuck with the accord/prelude brackets to see if they will bolt onto something.  What have you gotten done at the bone yard?

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:52 AM »

i didnt even leave the internet. lol. i found a set of RSX calipers for 40bucks, was told i have to pull them. sounds legit? still kinda wanna compare them to the accord ones tho. i could have sworn someone told me they used like legend ones? but they dont have parking brake cables (use drum inside rotor).

anyway. im picking these up tomorrow, so i guess i can measure them? then compare notes.

btw are we debating the DA caliper with RSX bracket? cuz i found a post the other might one....team-integra?... that documented the hole thing out...

turbohf

• Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • Overkill is Underrated
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:45:13 AM »

if im reading this right, it says legend/vigor is bolton?

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:53 AM »

if im reading this right, it says legend/vigor is bolton?

yeap bolt on  :noel:

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »

Be sure to use a name brand brake line kit like Russell/Stoptech/Goodridge.  I made the mistake of going cheap and getting the ones made in Canada off ebay for $50 and the front left failed on me the day before I was going on a 5 hour trip.. pedal felt a little weak and I then looked under the car.  So spend the $100 on a name brand if you aren't going to be buying new OEM rubber.

Oh yeah, I think I have a kit for a russell kit for a 2nd gen GSX if you want to buy it off me for your GVR4

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »

I have some stop tech lines, some cheap chinese lines, the failed canadian made lines and the russells.  I should find them all and take comparison pics.

bigdaddyvtec

• Certified OG
  • Go outside and play hide and go fuckyourself
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Make your own HARD lines.

I have a Type R MC (1"),
Type R brackets
Type R calipers
V6 AccordWagon rotors (Im fuckin lazy and ddidn'tdo the CL hub ROtor over hub swap :|)

40 40 prob vave off a old DA and I deleted the ABS so I had to make 2 lines and robbed 2 from a car with no ABS out da junk yard.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/joeymisanthropy/Misce/TURBOTHIS.jpg

H series 35 pounds... Will turn you out!
 ---GFI we build FAST---

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 12:45:36 AM »

hardlines all the way to the caliper. beast mode

ratcityrex

• I Get Blown Daily
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 12:49:53 AM »

homemadebrakelines
New setup is old bottom end with a hype r head with gsr cams. built lsv with hx35 @ 26psi on pump gas
LEED tuned! 434hp/329tq http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbDXZxZdZs
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,16195.0.html

Old Setup B18a1 296hp/289tq LEED Tuned 20psi on pump! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yj-Z90j4W4   
http://www.realhomemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.msg2437.html#msg2437

highroller54

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »

I made the mistake of going cheap and getting the ones made in Canada off ebay for $50

very little is "made" in Canada and what is is usually high quality. You sure it wasn't a china hose packaged in Canada?

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »

I made the mistake of going cheap and getting the ones made in Canada off ebay for $50
very little is "made" in Canada and what is is usually high quality. You sure it wasn't a china hose packaged in Canada?
I did not mean to diss any country of origin aside from Chinese crap.  The package came thru customs and was from Ontario.  The listing said they had the proper ISO 9000 blah blah certifications and the product looked decent but not nearly as nice as my StopTech shit.  I just now looked it up and I don't see the same company anymore.  So it was probably some fly-by-night company that claimed production in Canada and imported the cheapest of the bullshit gook crap possible.  Same shit happens in the US every day, look at just about every performance parts supplier.

So yeah, it was that bullshit Chinese shit that is now offered in many different colors (on ebay) for half the cost of the name brand.  I'm sorry for pointing fingers at a first world country but having your brake lines fail really sucks.  I'm very fortunate that the two failures of the two different lines only happened within the back roads leading back home.  I could have easily wiped out on the track or mountain pass racing while using the brakes to the max.  I would also like to mention that before the F/R BBK the stock brakes were still holding strong on a DA with 300k and original lines.

rawr

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »

I bought lines from some dude in indiana who made them to order for 150. They were really damn nice.

highroller54

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

You can dis Canada all you want, you won't offend me, just saying facts lol.

walter

• Certified OG
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »

this is my rear brakes i did some years ago.

260mm rotors with EP3 rear calipers

front im runing 294mm with Legend 2 pistons calipers..

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »

Looks good  :noel:

quadnie

• Certified OG
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »

Back on track with experimenting the accord (or prelude) rear bracket with the DA rear caliper

That's an EP3 rear caliper bolted to a BB5 (prelude) bracket.  I know the EP3 and DA calipers bolt the same.  Now I just need to physically compare a DA bracket to the accord bracket and see if it's possible, then on to actually swapping the parts around.

HondaDNA

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »

I have done a 10in rear on my Integre. All I did was use RSX/EP3 caliper brackets with my STOCK rear calipers. I used EP3 4x100 rotors with RSX/EP3 pads.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up