:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got video of your car doing rippers or dirty 2/3rds? post them up! (link)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard to reach spark plugs in those pesky turbo SBF.  (Read 8086 times)

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Hard to reach spark plugs in those pesky turbo SBF.
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:23:12 PM »

The passenger's side bank (1-3) was impossible to fit a plug socket over, much less a ratchet.  I got crafty with the sawzall and TIG:

It's actually on the too-short side, when it interfaces the plug there's a very narrow range of allowable movement before the shoulder of the wrench gets in the way... another 1/4 to 1/2" depth and it'd be perfect.  In fact, I plan to make one like that only with the socket portion rotated 10-15 degrees clockwise, so I can play the two wrenches off against each other. 

FYI, this car has the GT40P (Explorer) heads which have angled plug holes, things might be a little different with other heads.  Just an idea.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
Re: Hard to reach spark plugs in those pesky turbo SBF.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »

gt40p heads can make for some serious headaches
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »

the problem is you are working on a 5.fail engine. real men run DOHC v8's with the plugs in the middle of the heads for easy access.

79fairmont

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:05:52 PM »

Any numbers outta the sn-95? Who's kit is that? Kinda looks like that boost brothers kit.

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 08:36:14 PM »

I did a RHMT on a 90 hatchback 5.0L It made 420hp/520ft lbs. Then spit out the ringlands. The owner built the motor himself with hyperretarded pistons and had a big lift cam so he had to "clearance" the tops of the pistons with a dremel!
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »

Any numbers outta the sn-95? Who's kit is that? Kinda looks like that boost brothers kit.

i think it is joey called me last week asking if i knew anything about boost brothers cause he was tuning an sn95 with thier kit.

is that a ching chong t70 i see there?

CSaddict

• Certified OG
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »

i think it is joey called me last week asking if i knew anything about boost brothers cause he was tuning an sn95 with thier kit.

is that a ching chong t70 i see there?

I also received a similar text  from the Grand wizard and I responded with Cracky Chang.
Your fat ass is just going to drive around in your pile of shit car that is marketed towards 40 yr old recently divorced women trying to be hot shit.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »

haha im sure the block will split in half before that t70 fails

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:09:33 PM »

um, rippers?
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »

It's supposed to be a T67, not T70.  Dude got the whole kit for $1270 shipped to the door.  Not my choice, but meh.  CSaddict said it looked like Cracky Chan pulse welds but I've not seen the like before (looks like it's made from the mandrel bent stainless from Columbia River w/ robot welds)... fitment of the headers, crossover, and charge pipe is top notch.  If the headers/etc don't fall apart over time I'd wholeheartedly recommend calling up Boost Brothers and trying to get the kit minus turbo, gate, and BOV for cheap. 

E-cam, supposed built bottom end but it's a post-69 302 block so that means money wasted, tuned to wastegate, car feels pretty good on a street tune.  The owner is in the military and had to get back to base in KY(two and a half weeks left on leave, wife + two kids demand attention), he'll be fixing a few small things and coming back for the dyno tune he was supposed to get but didn't due to time constraints. 

FWIW, the setup forces mounting the MAF in a blowthrough position which isn't ideal, but works if you keep your eyes open.  It's running a 24lb Granatelli MAF which is fine for wastegate, but needs a MAF extender/MAFia for more.  After spending a couple hours researching and on the phone with Granatelli, etc, I'm of the opinion that the whole aftermarket MAF thing is horseshit.  Cobra MAF + MAFia = 700+ whp, and a $65 Lightning MAF will get you further with some rescaling. 

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »

the problem is you are working on a 5.fail engine. real men run DOHC v8's with the plugs in the middle of the heads for easy access.

I like modulars in respect to not having to let the engine cool for five hours before reading the plugs, and the headflow is awesome, but when the things are so goddamn weak in stock form and cost so much money to do anything with I think they are a bit silly to build unless you run up against a real deal on the parts. 

I'd love a SN99 with a 408 and big single, yum.   :noel:

79fairmont

• Certified OG
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:39:59 AM »

I actually bought that same kit to put on my sn-95 with my 347. I'm gonna swap out the turbo for something a bit bigger though. The kit does not look like the usual chinese stuff the piping is thicker and everything looks well made only time will tell. I'm either gonna use a sct ba3000 meter or one of the 05 up slot style maf's. I've allready got the 80lb injectors too. Just being curious as to what the kit made as far as power.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »

It's supposed to be a T67, not T70.  Dude got the whole kit for $1270 shipped to the door.  Not my choice, but meh.  CSaddict said it looked like Cracky Chan pulse welds but I've not seen the like before (looks like it's made from the mandrel bent stainless from Columbia River w/ robot welds)... fitment of the headers, crossover, and charge pipe is top notch.  If the headers/etc don't fall apart over time I'd wholeheartedly recommend calling up Boost Brothers and trying to get the kit minus turbo, gate, and BOV for cheap. 

E-cam, supposed built bottom end but it's a post-69 302 block so that means money wasted, tuned to wastegate, car feels pretty good on a street tune.  The owner is in the military and had to get back to base in KY(two and a half weeks left on leave, wife + two kids demand attention), he'll be fixing a few small things and coming back for the dyno tune he was supposed to get but didn't due to time constraints. 

FWIW, the setup forces mounting the MAF in a blowthrough position which isn't ideal, but works if you keep your eyes open.  It's running a 24lb Granatelli MAF which is fine for wastegate, but needs a MAF extender/MAFia for more.  After spending a couple hours researching and on the phone with Granatelli, etc, I'm of the opinion that the whole aftermarket MAF thing is horseshit.  Cobra MAF + MAFia = 700+ whp, and a $65 Lightning MAF will get you further with some rescaling. 

he can buy my old granatelli BA2800 for 120 shipped in a 90mm housing. good for what granatelli claims like 750. i made just under 500wheel on it.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 03:46:27 AM »

I like modulars in respect to not having to let the engine cool for five hours before reading the plugs, and the headflow is awesome, but when the things are so goddamn weak in stock form and cost so much money to do anything with I think they are a bit silly to build unless you run up against a real deal on the parts. 

I'd love a SN99 with a 408 and big single, yum.   :noel:

single cams are junk, cobra longblocks will make more power then you could ever use on the street. the mach 1 longblock is good for atleast 126+ traps in a 3200# car as per my buddies car. no weaker then an LS1. pistons and rods are no more expensive then any other v8 motor

stop calling it sn99. its new edge, old man.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:24 AM »

1) I'm pretty sure this rescaled MAF horseshit is as or less difficult than a Motorola 4 bar in a Honda MAP enclosure.  I am not spending $130 for your $7 sensor and $2 enclosure and three wire labor, same for aftermarket MAFs.

2) Single cams are better, ask any RHMTer.  Bitch!

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »

BTW, 126 mph traps?  That's slow.  You're not going to stomp any mudholes in any crotchrockets with that lackluster level of performance.

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »

the balls...15 psi ...650 whp.

fuck you

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »

the balls...15 psi ...650 whp.

LOL
Thats one of Mikes turbo kits.
Hes a good friend of mine and does great work.
Hes the man to go to if your running a mustang.
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »

It's  Tony's  Cobra from  ormond beach..  Ridden in that car.. scarry fast.
fuck you

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:32 AM »

It's  Tony's  Cobra from  ormond beach..  Ridden in that car.. scarry fast.
You know tony?

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 11:33:31 AM »

I know him through Shaun Hammitt
fuck you

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »

I know him through Shaun Hammitt
I have no idea who that is, but My buddy mike did that turbo kit.
Mikes orange mustang is nasty.

Lowerit

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »

He is a fag with a very fast SC61'd turbo fiero that looks like it's from a J-yard. I rode in tony's car when it was SC'd last year at the GRM challenge in jacksonville
fuck you

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »

That's a sweet car. 

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »

BTW, 126 mph traps?  That's slow.  You're not going to stomp any mudholes in any crotchrockets with that lackluster level of performance.

lol from a roll bikes are slow anyways. from a dig most cant drive.

i raced a car a couple weeks ago and some asshole on a bike decided he wanted to join on my left in the breakdown and he couldnt pass me till i let off. my car wasnt even fast then.

spending 170 on a mafia def makes more sense then buying a maf designed to read more airflow for less money, knucklehead.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »

I called Granatelli and they tried to sell me a MAF that cost more than a MAFia.

Google DIY MAF extender and see whose name makes the top 3 hits.

PhilStubbs

• Certified OG
  • Teh Secksy.....I has it
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

Mr. Davis fabs, i had no idea. good stuff
obd1>gtgtall

fucking box started smoking and i saw a flame start up so i grabbed a bucket of water and splashed it on the breaker box.

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »

He is a fag with a very fast SC61'd turbo fiero that looks like it's from a J-yard. I rode in tony's car when it was SC'd last year at the GRM challenge in jacksonville
LOL
I watched that bird ass looking mother fucker get his ass beat by my buddy at the local meet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up