:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RHMT DIY Hub Dyno?!?!? check it. (link)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Best" Stock FWD 4 Cylinder Engine/Transmission Combo  (Read 10847 times)

bigwig

"Best" Stock FWD 4 Cylinder Engine/Transmission Combo
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:21:17 AM »

I'm nuts.  I have enough money to build one of these: http://superlitecars.com/roadster_spec.html

What engine/tranissmion should I use?

Goals:
-Stock Engine/transmission.
-Cost Effective
-"Tuning" Friendly
-200+hp

The obvious choices:
-K24/K20A2(turbo'd after)
-SRT-4
-Cobalt SS
-Some B-series hybrid thing
-Mitsubishi 4G63

PS: This probably will never get built, but it's 4:20AM EST and there is nothing good OnDemand.

chris

Re: "Best" Stock FWD 4 Cylinder Engine/Transmission Combo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 05:29:59 AM »

h23vtec

beerbongskickass

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:36:58 AM »

92-95 civic with a stock D16z6, it's a lot of fun, but you will eventually want more.

Corey

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »

its light as shit so something that doesnt make a ton of torque which rules out srt4 and 4g63.

the ecotec motors are homo.

the obvious choice is a k series given the options listed on the site. that thing would be pretty retarded with a 250whp all motor k.

unless you want an excessive amount of power then a 6 bolt or srt4 motor will both reliably make and handle 450whp.

rudebwoy

• Certified OG
  • tripple OG
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:28:40 AM »

since I am honda biased, and I don't believe that any of the motors listed are better than the k series, plus all the ones I saw in here has k series motors, or cosworth built/turboed k series motors. if I chose anything other than a kseries or a hybrid b series, it would be the EVO 8 motor, screw srt4, screw cobalt. both of those motors outperform srt/cobalt in stock, and modified form.
1999 Euro spec Civic EJ9 Hatch B20/VTEC TURBO. 620whp@21psi
2000 Honda Odyssey LX family ride
2000 civic SI daily driver

bigwig

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 07:04:24 AM »

h23vtec

Serious response?  In theory, I can see a H22/H23 not being an awful choice, but in reality, I can't see myself going that direction.

92-95 civic with a stock D16z6, it's a lot of fun, but you will eventually want more.

You convinced me.  Close the thread.

its light as shit so something that doesnt make a ton of torque which rules out srt4 and 4g63.

the ecotec motors are homo.

the obvious choice is a k series given the options listed on the site. that thing would be pretty retarded with a 250whp all motor k.

unless you want an excessive amount of power then a 6 bolt or srt4 motor will both reliably make and handle 450whp.

The weight distribution on these cars actually puts a good amount of weight over the rear tires.  I believe from what I read it was about 1000lbs in the back and 600lbs in the front.  I don't think a Srt4 or 4g63 would be an issue, but I also agree the car really doesn't need low end torque.

As for power, I think 250whp is a good starting place.  It should be able to be in a similar world as a 400whp AWD vehicle.  At the same time, I'd like to be able to turbo charge the car at a later date.  Being competitive with modified EVOs and STIs is not really that impressive.  Where a car like this shines is the fact it is half the weight of anything else.  So it only needs to make 1 hp for every 2 almost every other car in the planet has to make.  So 300-350whp, the car will be incredibly quick.  Quicker than just about everything around.  The only issue with the lower hp value is getting up to higher mph's, where the higher hp vehicles will be able to hit those higher speeds.

In short, 250whp is great to start with, but to beat Vettes, high HP AWD cars, GT500s, Porches, Vipers, and all of those other faggot mobiles, 250whp is going to be a limiting factor, especially on a horsepower track(lots of long straights).  This is all under the assumption, driving ability is equal and assumed to be good.

since I am honda biased, and I don't believe that any of the motors listed are better than the k series, plus all the ones I saw in here has k series motors, or cosworth built/turboed k series motors. if I chose anything other than a kseries or a hybrid b series, it would be the EVO 8 motor, screw srt4, screw cobalt. both of those motors outperform srt/cobalt in stock, and modified form.

I think Honda makes great engines.  But there are other engines out there and I'm willing to look and listen.

Towdogg

• Certified OG
  • Cfm's don't roll through an air intake!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »

D15b2   :P

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »

In a super light car the last thing you want is an assload of torque as everything is magnified in a barebones vehicle like that - forget forced induction.  I'd go B or K, and in truth the K-series cable shifter just makes sense. 

bigwig

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

In a super light car the last thing you want is an assload of torque as everything is magnified in a barebones vehicle like that - forget forced induction.  I'd go B or K, and in truth the K-series cable shifter just makes sense. 

I'm not sure I agree, especially with the bolded statement. K-series will be about 225-250whp.  That will result in a vehicle that will be about as fast has a EVO/STI with some decent mods and your expensive track cars(Corvette, Viper, Porches, ect).  I'm not saying 225-250whp wouldn't be A LOT of fun at first and be impressive around the track.  I'm just saying as the same time, if I'm going to go the route of a completely impractical car like this, I don't think I would want to live in the world of "Well, I'm as fast as some random idiot with a new turbo, reflash, and some suspension mods".  How embarassing would it be to be as fast as some EVO or Subaru faggot in a car like this?  Jesus, it would be almost as bad as being beaten by a guy driving a Miata.

So 13b + K transmission?  Track only car, rpms + lack of torque... teehehehe

Cylinders faggot.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01:08 PM »

I'm not sure I agree, especially with the bolded statement. K-series will be about 225-250whp.  That will result in a vehicle that will be about as fast has a EVO/STI with some decent mods and your expensive track cars(Corvette, Viper, Porches, ect). 

What the fuck are you smoking?  It's a ~1300lb open wheel go kart, with drivetrain installed.  You'd have to have a 550+ whp Evo or Subaru to roll with it, you're talking about a ten second car.  With the low center of gravity and purpose-built suspension/wheelbase it's going to take a hell of a driver to make a topheavy sled like a Corvette beat you after 2-3 track days transform you into a mediochre driver.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »

Actually, Rass, edit that.  It's an open wheel deathtrap that you don't want to go over 100 mph in, so you can regear the vehicle to be even faster than that off of the available power.

Exactly like the Super 7 that inspired all of these open frame roadsters, you will find that when driving it the weakest link is you.  The thing is a goddamn video game; you cannot shift, steer, or brake fast enough for what the vehicle is actually capable of.

bigwig

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »

I'm not sure I agree, especially with the bolded statement. K-series will be about 225-250whp.  That will result in a vehicle that will be about as fast has a EVO/STI with some decent mods and your expensive track cars(Corvette, Viper, Porches, ect). 

What the fuck are you smoking?  It's a ~1300lb open wheel go kart, with drivetrain installed.  You'd have to have a 550+ whp Evo or Subaru to roll with it, you're talking about a ten second car.  With the low center of gravity and purpose-built suspension/wheelbase it's going to take a hell of a driver to make a topheavy sled like a Corvette beat you after 2-3 track days transform you into a mediochre driver.

Weights on these vehicles is coming in around 1500lbs without a driver.  I'm a skinny guy, so all in, figure around 1650lbs.

You also have to figure 250whp in a vehicle with pretty bad aerodynamics will probably result in poor top end acceleration and poor top speed.  This was confirmed by an Aussie that deals these vehicles down there.  The cars put down 1.06 at some track there in the rain.

The main event was basically rained out, but the yellow SL-R put down 1:06's on the Friday practice. It's a big HP track, so would see some nice improvement with a little more power. Also a little more track time wouldn't have hurt either.
Source: http://exocars.net/showthread.php?t=4139

I'm not saying the car with 250whp won't be stupid fast.  It will easily be faster than most anyone.  At some point when you have a car like this, after you are "done" learning to drive well, you are going to want to play with the big boys.  250whp in a 1700lbs car(yea, I rounded up), against a track ready car sponsored by some rich guy, it could very well be a toss up.  When it gets down to that, a small frame GT series turbo setup allowing the car to make 300-320whp, will make all the difference.  Again, investing in a car like this and not being able to embarrass rich douche bags who have Vipers and Z06 Corvettes takes away the superficial fun.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I think 225-250whp will be more than enough for the first several seasons.  I'm just an argumentative ass that doesn't agree with the stance that 225-250whp will be enough power to beat anything/everything.  At some point more power will be beneficial when moving up in class.  In a car like this you can either drive poorly and let the power/weight allow you to embarass people, or learn how to drive well.  I think I'll need both.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:29:38 PM by bigwig »

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »

against a track ready car sponsored by some rich guy

Most of those aren't fast due to driver related reasons.  Money doesn't buy skills.

I can see where a track car would do with 300+, but if you're not dealing with a super small wastegate/decent boost control setup it's going to be a dangerous piece of shit on the street.

Anyway, points noted.

marcj

• Marc Jew
  • Certified OG
  • Never alone, Never again. (NA)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »

I would use a N/A B20 VTEC or D16 little turbo setup  :)

marcj

• Marc Jew
  • Certified OG
  • Never alone, Never again. (NA)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »

is it possible to make it street legal?

rudebwoy

• Certified OG
  • tripple OG
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »

they are street legal in germany, but it cost money for the approval T.U.V (DOT)
1999 Euro spec Civic EJ9 Hatch B20/VTEC TURBO. 620whp@21psi
2000 Honda Odyssey LX family ride
2000 civic SI daily driver

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

starquest.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »

Kit cars can be registered afaik, just don't know the details.

When you guys think about it, a heavy lt1'd f-body can smoke the tires enough in stock form. Take more power and cut the weight in half. I think the best solution would be a k20 with a centrifugal SC. You'll have less chance of over-powering it after gear change or turns, and will still get instant boost. It would be loud as fuck tho...

The only problem with the k's is the tranny. If you want to run a lot of power, I'd go with a 2.0L B-series, preferably with something liek an ATI charger or another cetrifugal SC.
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »

The only problem with the k's is the tranny.

K-trans is good at 300-350, you just can't drag race (launch) on it without turning the wick down.

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:35 PM »

Modded TDI, and 02M.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

shadow

• Certified OG
  • out either bangin gears or your mom
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »

sideways b-series, and have weir make you an adapter for a s2k tranny.... ;D
'Get the fucking handout and give it to me. I'll put a "Sponsored by Darkelvis Racing" banner on my drag car, and spend the money on crack and hookers.'

chris

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »

K series stuff is pricey and the transmissions after fixing 2nd gear still are not up to par with oem b series stuff

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »

B16 + turbo.....     Stock block will make plenty of power for that thing.

SDRAWKCAB

• D series BALLA!
  • Certified OG
  • Rhino
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »

boosted vitara d16a6.
I have sex like a winning race car.
I always finish first and have left many disappointed.

Kain

• Certified OG
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »

first gen sentra ser

fysh

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »

Does it have to be a 4 Cylinder?

"The LS4 is a 5,328 cc (5.328 L; 325.1 cu in) version of the Generation IV block. Though it has the same displacement as the Vortec 5300 LH6, it differs in that it has an aluminum block rather than an iron one and it uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine.

This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications"

Stock rated @ 303hp. And you know how easy LS series engines are to modify.

speedjunky01

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

z6/a6, HF manifold gt28rs, vitaras, H beam rods, head work, 59300 cam, can control the power with the twist of a knob :) start with a nice easy 200whp and would have room for 300-350 along with nice response

dont go with a china man turbo, mine is laggy as fuck :(, could be due to my lack of tuning ability 

replacement parts will be cheap ad fuck, easy to work on, just have a to work the shift linkage out a bitbut shouldnt be bad.

d112crzy

• Certified OG
  • white power
    • CrzyTuning
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 08:52:20 PM »

2jz
www.crzytuning.com

Nobody comes into my house and shits all over it.  

chris

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »

zc
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up