CRX
- 7 (10.4%)
LOG
- 0 (0%)
OCZC
- 2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: How many Engineering students on here?  (Read 30395 times)

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
Re: How many Engineering students on here?
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF NERDS. 

So.

I watched about 4 hours worth of physics lectures from MIT last night.

lol.

Where did you go to what these lectures?

Has Anybody figure out tensors yet?

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »

Sure, I deal with stress tensors every day in my polymer processing class.

Turkey soup pancakes sir

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Where did you go to what these lectures?

Youtube.  Search for MIT physics lectures.  I think they have the entire semester worth of lectures for 801 and 802 which is Physics 1 and Physics 2 essentially.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2009, 06:56:28 PM »

I already took Physics IV but we did not go into tensor when were talking about Maxwell's field equations. ;D

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »

I already took Physics IV but we did not go into tensor when were talking about Maxwell's field equations. ;D

Ok.

jagojon3

• Certified OG
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »

Not this guy

Turkey soup pancakes sir

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2009, 09:55:40 PM »

Lol.

E-b0la

• Certified OG
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »

graduating on the 12th with a bachelor's in Industrial Engineering Tech  :noel:

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

NERDS.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2009, 06:19:11 PM »

I'm not ENTIRELY sure that any college degree is all that useful. I donno.

Depends what you want to do I guess, I always wanted to go to school for mechanical and thermodynamic engineering, but could never swing the time and money to go to school at the same time as a job that could support it. I ended up starting a business that has started to do very well, I get hands on experience engineering and manufacturing parts and I didn't waste any of my life in school, I work with a good network of engineers that are willing to teach me the things I need to know. I may never be a certified engineer, but I will be plenty capable, and I'll make more money and have more freedom than all of my engineering friends.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »

It's not rocket science for sure, but some of these machine controls can be pretty sophisticated - especially when they are european. In this case, our adige ts-71 cnc automatic sawing line (30,000lb - 1/2 a million dollar paper weight currently), has a ridiculously cluster fucked coded plc/hmi that even the best engineer's I've hired to work on it scratch their head at half the time. I actually just hired an engineering firm in washington to completely gut the beast and build new controls from the ground up. You wouldn't think an 8 year old saw would already be obsolete according to it's manufacturer, but it is.

Why such a complicated plc for a saw line? Does it have an auto miter head?

I'm looking at going with an older Kaltenbach or OMP saw line fairly soon, anything positive or negative to say about either?

Whitey

• the Few, the Proud, the Exiled
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • ©
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

Here's pics of a test rig  I recently built.  This rig test the flow and direction of oil streams out of lubricating jets in a titanium circumferential seal for a jet engine.  I can't post pictures of the seals or fixturing but its a simple hydraulic system that flows mobile jet 2 turbine oil through the seal, which is captured and weighed using load cells.   The fixturing simulates the oil targets points in space.  I  did the design, fabrication, wiring and plumbing.  The hydraulic system uses a gear pump that pumps over a relief until the directional valve is shifted and flows the oil to the test fixtures.

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

It's not rocket science for sure, but some of these machine controls can be pretty sophisticated - especially when they are european. In this case, our adige ts-71 cnc automatic sawing line (30,000lb - 1/2 a million dollar paper weight currently), has a ridiculously cluster fucked coded plc/hmi that even the best engineer's I've hired to work on it scratch their head at half the time. I actually just hired an engineering firm in washington to completely gut the beast and build new controls from the ground up. You wouldn't think an 8 year old saw would already be obsolete according to it's manufacturer, but it is.

I'm looking at going with an older Kaltenbach or OMP saw line fairly soon, anything positive or negative to say about either?

You realize that if the two of you mated, whole turbo kits would be the result?

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »

Here's pics of a test rig  I recently built.  This rig test the flow and direction of oil streams out of lubricating jets in a titanium circumferential seal for a jet engine.  I can't post pictures of the seals or fixturing but its a simple hydraulic system that flows mobile jet 2 turbine oil through the seal, which is captured and weighed using load cells.   The fixturing simulates the oil targets points in space.  I  did the design, fabrication, wiring and plumbing.  The hydraulic system uses a gear pump that pumps over a relief until the directional valve is shifted and flows the oil to the test fixtures.

I have never used pumps like that, does the box on the end of the case contain a couple involute gears for PD pumping?

mandrel-bends

• Columbia River Mandrel Bending
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »

It has a cnc positioning head, cnc target, 20' bundle loader, etc. The saw takes parameters like: blade size, # of teech, material type, wall thickness, wall od, blade type (ti / hs), # of parts, length of cut, etc and automatically determines the best cut arrangement on a bar, automatically determined feed rates, cut stroke, return height, and blade speeds, etc. It's incredibly over-engineered for a saw.

http://www.blmgroup.com/TS72-CNC-cutting-line-Complete-automatic-line-controlled-by-CNC-unit.html

That's the new TS72 that replaced my TS71B. Watch the video if you are interested.

Mine was renamed the TC720. They now paint them white instead of green, but this exactly my saw (paper weight) :

http://www.blmgroup.com/TC720-Cutting-line-deburring-washing-drying-collecting-operations.html

Columbia River Mandrel Bending
CNC Mandrel Bending &ampamp Precision Waterjet Cutting
http://www.mandrelbends.com

mandrel-bends

« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »

Kaltenbach's I think are bottom up cutting cold saws, which are really rigid and really cool. They've been around forever too so I'm sure there is lots of parts and tech reps around. Another brand you might look at - Kasto - its another italian saw .. really impressive machines for their size. Rigid column, decent plc, could run in fully automatic mode. You can get a good used one for $40k.

mandrel-bends

« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »

We've been manufacturing turbo kits for private label for 6 years now. When I go to sema, I see a crap load of our parts everywhere. Unfortunately - and far more so lately, it's more like I see a crap load of parts that we were forced by our customers to send to china, then either weld or cut apart and fix when they came back into the states. Fuckin new world order.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2009, 10:05:55 PM »

Kaltenbach's I think are bottom up cutting cold saws, which are really rigid and really cool. They've been around forever too so I'm sure there is lots of parts and tech reps around. Another brand you might look at - Kasto - its another italian saw .. really impressive machines for their size. Rigid column, decent plc, could run in fully automatic mode. You can get a good used one for $40k.

Yes kaltenbach are bottom up. I have run both Kasto and OMP, all though these were simple fully automatic saws based on air logic. For those I prefer OMP, but I have a friend that got a newish kasto cnc saw, its quite nice. Rigidity is a big concern as I am starting to bundle cut solids as my focus is starting to be orientated towards machining.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »

Sad, but the way things are going.

We've been manufacturing turbo kits for private label for 6 years now. When I go to sema, I see a crap load of our parts everywhere. Unfortunately - and far more so lately, it's more like I see a crap load of parts that we were forced by our customers to send to china, then either weld or cut apart and fix when they came back into the states. Fuckin new world order.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:09 AM »

Doesn't have to be, I don't buy any tooling, material or supplies from China. Complaining about Chinese quality all the meanwhile sending work there or supporting them through buying their products is fucking weak.

Yes it costs, more, yes it can hurt my margins, and yes sometimes it means I can't give a competitive quote. But I get satisfaction in making quality parts, and not being a part of the problem of Chinese prices dictating American craftsmanship.

DmC

• Certified OG
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2009, 12:45:44 AM »

Doesn't have to be, I don't buy any tooling, material or supplies from China. Complaining about Chinese quality all the meanwhile sending work there or supporting them through buying their products is fucking weak.

Yes it costs, more, yes it can hurt my margins, and yes sometimes it means I can't give a competitive quote. But I get satisfaction in making quality parts, and not being a part of the problem of Chinese prices dictating American craftsmanship.
Be carefull man your dangerously close to inviting Random Strike into this thread.

BoostedSchemes

• Certified OG
  • ☂BloodRaincoat☂
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »

nother fuckin pirate died in pa last night

is rs here yet
All posts before 8am and after 3pm are produced under the influence of alcohol.

Major Loser, please tell me how to be smart and interesting like you~

mandrel-bends

« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:27 AM »

In our case, I would rather help my customer by outsourcing their parts and controlling the assembly and check on this side, then releasing them into the wild of trying to get this stuff made. I've done over half a mil in business with asian countries now and have some pretty decent relationships. It doesn't make sense to just ignore them as another option to keeping your customers happy - just do it in a way that you both benefit. China doesn't have to kill American manufacturing, it can help in a lot of ways as well.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »

In our case, I would rather help my customer by outsourcing their parts and controlling the assembly and check on this side, then releasing them into the wild of trying to get this stuff made. I've done over half a mil in business with asian countries now and have some pretty decent relationships. It doesn't make sense to just ignore them as another option to keeping your customers happy - just do it in a way that you both benefit. China doesn't have to kill American manufacturing, it can help in a lot of ways as well.

You are right, China doesn't have to kill American manufacturing, but it is. China is very much capitalizing on Americans wasteful lifestyles. Its not common to buy high quality items anymore, people shop at walmart. It just propagates the already ridiculous American mentality that they can have a lot, for a little.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »

You are right, China doesn't have to kill American manufacturing, but it is. China is very much capitalizing on Americans wasteful lifestyles. Its not common to buy high quality items anymore, people shop at walmart. It just propagates the already ridiculous American mentality that they can have a lot, for a little.

A lot of crap that breaks all the time and creates a hassle replacing it.  There is not enough time in the day to do what I need to do, and if attrition is a significant factor on my tools it sucks to be me and I don't make any money.

My mom bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer in 1974, the washer wore one belt out in '93, and she finally got rid of them in '02 because they were "old"... the new washer's on it's third belt and she's on her second dryer.  Not everything needs to be the slant 6 of appliances, but really?

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »

A lot of crap that breaks all the time and creates a hassle replacing it.  There is not enough time in the day to do what I need to do, and if attrition is a significant factor on my tools it sucks to be me and I don't make any money.

My mom bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer in 1974, the washer wore one belt out in '93, and she finally got rid of them in '02 because they were "old"... the new washer's on it's third belt and she's on her second dryer.  Not everything needs to be the slant 6 of appliances, but really?

I bet it is fairly difficult to find a household appliance these days to give you 28 years of service.

bigwig

« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Said the Canadian.

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »

I bet it is fairly difficult to find a household appliance these days to give you 28 years of service.

go down to the junkyard and find anything built before 1980
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

snm95ls

• Certified OG
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »

go down to the junkyard and find anything built before 1980

Where are you trying to go with this?

Several years ago, there wee tons and tons of pre 1980 cars and trucks in the yards.

Passenger

• Certified OG
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2009, 03:39:21 PM »

Said the Canadian.

Americans, Canadians, = North Americans, same shit different pile. I am an American citizen.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up