:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Daspoop/Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP (link)  :'(

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evan's on a roadtrip, his hatch is loud. Any RHMT approved sound deadening?  (Read 6488 times)

Joseph Davis

• Verbal Assault Technician
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Eugenics prevents retards like widebody93
    • TURBO THIS
Re: Evan's on a roadtrip, his hatch is loud. Any RHMT approved sound deadening?
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 02:16:10 AM »

most people here don't care about car audio.

I used too.

I like car audio.  I don't like big subwofers than unbalance the music I'm trying to listen to.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 01:15:48 AM »

Hi, Evan.   :)

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 01:16:13 AM »

Evan is me you fuckers.  Thanks for the post/help JD.  I picked up a couple rolls of the peel n seal the other day, gonna give it a whirl.  I'll let you know how it goes.  It's gotta help a little over just the thin ass sheet metal that these civics are made of.  It's mostly the drone of road noise and exhaust echoing inside the car that make it so obnoxious.  I don't usually mind the noise, but I've got another 2200 miles to drive with the g/f in about a week.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 01:18:06 AM »

Hi, Evan.   :)

That's just creepy.

I did not ask to be born the Grand Wizard of the Internet, these things just happen.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 02:06:49 AM »

Might have to get some peel and stick for my Dodge, that old cummins sure does rattle it. It's nice to find something more affordable than fucking dynamat extreme
92GSR - mild interest

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 02:37:30 AM »

Evan is me you fuckers.  Thanks for the post/help JD.  I picked up a couple rolls of the peel n seal the other day, gonna give it a whirl.  I'll let you know how it goes.  It's gotta help a little over just the thin ass sheet metal that these civics are made of.  It's mostly the drone of road noise and exhaust echoing inside the car that make it so obnoxious.  I don't usually mind the noise, but I've got another 2200 miles to drive with the g/f in about a week.
Make sure to post results, I'm curious as to how well it works.
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

SloS13

• RHMT Ex-President
  • Administrator
  • Certified OG
  • My avatar is broken
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »

In the miata, I've got a layer of Peel-n-seal on the floor (2 layers on trans tunnel) for vibration/sound/heat and a layer of some aluminum covered bubble wrap shit for heat/some sound deadening.

You will want a heat gun if you're using the peel-n-seal

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »

In the miata, I've got a layer of Peel-n-seal on the floor (2 layers on trans tunnel) for vibration/sound/heat and a layer of some aluminum covered bubble wrap shit for heat/some sound deadening.

You will want a heat gun if you're using the peel-n-seal

Yes, heat helps. Mineral spirits to clean the surface, and a roller or two helps tons also.

And, it will stick to vertical surfaces as well as roofs, regardless of what the previous person said. Prep it right and it works.

Vagitarian

• Panik Mekanik
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »

Yes, heat helps. Mineral spirits to clean the surface, and a roller or two helps tons also.

And, it will stick to vertical surfaces as well as roofs, regardless of what the previous person said. Prep it right and it works.

Will it stick to roof and doors with heat, YES, will it STAY stuck to roofs and doors after a few hot and cold days... NO

Ive used it, the stuff sucks compared to a butyl based deadner, it also stinks on hot days, doesnt deaden noise worth a shit and is a general waste of time. You can spend $80 on spl tiles and a layer of ensolite and get 3X the barrier AND lasting results that wont give off fumes when in the sun

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »

well I put a little down in the hatch area basically just over the spare tire well, and it seems to have helped a bit already.  I just sprayed the metal down with brake cleaner and wiped it up well and laid the stuff down.  Vagitarian- I don't know what most of those products even are.  I'm just looking for a cheap alternative, and I think the peel n seal will work for my needs.  Not trying to turn my civic into a luxury ride, just something more bearable to drive

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »

Da Vag is right.......RAAMat is the shit, the owner a little weird :)
OG before the OG'#039#039s

Minor Threat

• Certified OG
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »

Will it stick to roof and doors with heat, YES, will it STAY stuck to roofs and doors after a few hot and cold days... NO

Ive used it, the stuff sucks compared to a butyl based deadner, it also stinks on hot days, doesnt deaden noise worth a shit and is a general waste of time. You can spend $80 on spl tiles and a layer of ensolite and get 3X the barrier AND lasting results that wont give off fumes when in the sun

Where do we get that shit then?
"quotquotand the welds look like a pigeon had 1 too many chili-dogs, whoever built them needs to go throw their tools in the ocean."quotquot

www.facebook.com/enhancedautoperformance

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • I look around and all I see is Smegheads
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

Where do we get that shit then?

+1 I saw some sound deadening pads on Egay 10 sq. ft. for 20.00usd shipped but if there is cheaper I like to know. ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180445351391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Vagitarian

• Panik Mekanik
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »

SPL tiles are $2 a piece from second skin audio, and theyve got 20% coupons all over the net. 25-40 of those and a layer of ensolite undetr the carpet and behind the door panels and youve got ALOT quieter of a ride

Any sound deadner that is butyl based will work perfect

I just wouldnt use peel n seal again, I tried it, since Im cheap, but it fails, stinks when its hot out, and the performance in "sound deadning" is no comparisn compared to a butyl based product

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 12:31:53 AM »

I have 1 van, and a friend who has competed at IASCA world finals for over 10 years now that say yes it will stick if applied properly.

Your fail does not translate to item fail.

Joseph Davis

• RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
    • TURBO THIS
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »

I have 1 van, and a friend who has competed at IASCA world finals for over 10 years now that say yes it will stick if applied properly.

Your fail does not translate to item fail.

Seeing as how I know you, and this other guy sucks bandwagon cock, your swearing by Peel and Seal is good enough for me.

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:02 AM »

If it's just being used for road noise, I'd do 1 layer on the roof, if I even touched it at all. The majority of the noise is coming from down low.

Doors and floor will make a good difference.2 layers.

If you have a van like mine, the roof is a necessity.

I just hate seeing some vag state shit that isn't true.

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2009, 12:44:16 AM »

So there is no serious oder from the peel and stick pads right? :?:

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2009, 12:48:17 AM »

There is an oder, but it goes away after a few days. It's a little worse then dynamat, but not terrible in my experience.

Eggylshatch

• Certified OG
  • Pen15 Club President
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2009, 12:49:49 AM »

Mine hasn't gotten hot yet, but i've done roofing for a good few years.  Its the same shit as water and ice shield except with an aluminum sheet attached.  It smells when you first unroll it and its hot, but once its down you don't smell it anymore.  Do you ever walk outside and smell roof?  not until the earth is careening into the sun.  So I think peel and seal should be alright.  The stuff I found in the lowes near me actually wasn't called peal and seal btw, its just another brand.  I'll post it when I check what it is again

92CXyD

• Twincharged Smeghead
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »

cool I'm trying this as soon as I get my motor back in. ;D

Ntrain2k

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »

If you have the dash out, a layer or two on the firewall would go a long ways towards cutting back on engine noise.

Full Spool

Peel and seal doesnt work for shit as sound deadner, it slightly stops rattles, doesnt stick for shit on vertical surfaces though

BS  O0

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up