:::RHMT::: Real Home Made Turbo

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Jay & Trevor YOU WILL BE MISSED, RIP  :'(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Diff Welding Tips?  (Read 7332 times)

88dx

• Certified OG
Diff Welding Tips?
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:56:47 AM »

OK so im planning on welding the Center Diff and rear diff on my subaru whats the best way to do this? I have a smiley tig and a 110 Mig are either of those going to hold or do I need to find something better to use? Do I heat it up before welding? Ive also heard of people welding a bolt in there to fill in the gap better? So lets see what sweet Ideas u guys have, So this isnt a huge fail for me  :?:

danz

• Certified OG
  • 0-60 in 2.7 seconds
Re: Diff Welding Tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »

stick axles in it so it doesnt get all cock eyed

pre heating would be a good idea, and should burn off a lot of oil.

just crank your welder and lace that shit
10.510 @ 133.09 mph D16Z6 EJ6
10.912 @ 127.33 mph D16A6 ED6

t_cel_t

• Certified OG
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »

take the tig and jam a stick welding rod in the torch and go to town. just make sure the weld isnt going to break, because if that dif turns at all its going to break the whole thing.
malone labe

I think all cop cars need to have turbo. nbspnbsp Then they would understand the necessity of putting your foot down and how uncontrollable the urge is to fucking rail on that shit.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 04:21:22 AM »

take the tig and jam a stick welding rod in the torch and go to town. just make sure the weld isnt going to break, because if that dif turns at all its going to break the whole thing.
If I stick weld it wont all the slag break off inside the trans and rear end  :?:

crttaz

• Certified OG
  • Old Wise One
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:59:49 AM »

clean up your welds dummy!
OG before the OG'#039#039s

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

You'll never get all the flux off from stick welding it. And the flux you don't get off will eventually destroy the diff. MIG it if you're gonna do it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

highroller54

• I caught the fable Novacorn
  • RHMT Moderator
  • Certified OG
  • Spreading the rhmt word like PB&J
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »

I weld the side gears to the diff case, its supossed to be better then welding the side gears to the spider gears. Thats what the 4x4 guys say anyways.
Xenocron is a piece of shit.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/turbo1.gif

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:51:38 PM »

You'll never get all the flux off from stick welding it. And the flux you don't get off will eventually destroy the diff. MIG it if you're gonna do it.
Depends on the rod you use.

I would definitely MIG it though. Way easier in the first place and a lot less shit to clean up when you are done. Get some solid tacks on all of the spiders, then go to town and melt the fucking teeth together
d-series on 20 pounds will turn you out!

turbob16hatch

• Certified OG
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »

So do this And weld the side gears to the case and ill be good in the rear? I just hope I can weld the center good enouf  :-\

This is what I have to do for the center.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:20:50 PM by 88dx »

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »

Instead of welding the teeth together I like to fill the teeth with filler. It doesn't weld the diff solid so there is a bit of play when you turn a corner. It has held up well in Dvst8r's Cummins with 40" michelin militarys and 500ft/lbs of torque.
92GSR - mild interest

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »

Instead of welding the teeth together I like to fill the teeth with filler. It doesn't weld the diff solid so there is a bit of play when you turn a corner. It has held up well in Dvst8r's Cummins with 40" michelin militarys and 500ft/lbs of torque.

This.

It is known as a Fozzy locker. Lots of info if you search "fozzy locker" on google.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »

This.

It is known as a Fozzy locker. Lots of info if you search "fozzy locker" on google.
Dose ur truck still lock up around turns? I dont see there being enouf play for it not to?

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »

Yes. It only has a few degrees of play, just enough that at times where it could be bound up, and twist and axle shaft it doesn't.
There are two kinds of people: Sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners and they don'#039#039t look back '#039#039cause they don'#039#039t have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Foowee

• Certified OG
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »

Quote:
Alright, after reading a ton of threads on welding up gears for extra traction, i went ahead and welded mine up.

I put the third back in and went to pull out of my garage, and I just roasted my clutch. I figured that maybe there was some slag left in the bearing, so i dropped it in 4lo and lo and behold something broke loose.
MY ****ING DRIVE LINE.

I'm really ****ed at all this BS talk. I welded my junk really wel. And now my driveline is twisted up like a damn pretzel.

You are all a bunch of **** talkin Jerks.

What the hell did you all do differently? 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:35:50 AM by Foowee »

97Econobox

• Certified OG
  • Some may never live, but the crazy never die
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  i remember reading that a while back Hilarious.

I never thought this was a good idea for anything that would take turns more often than not.  I guess its not as serious as people think?

i ate your mom'#39#39s dick last night :?:

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab36/nacvicsi/Untitled.gif

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »

Pirate4x4 win

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »

I vote fozzy locker. You'll get some play, but I doubt your mad tq is going to ruin anything in the diff. Since it's the middle diff, the only way you will pretzel anything is by running seriously different tire OD's front to rear or launch with the front on gravel.

Now that just assumes this entire thread isn't a troll post, as that pirate pic is getting old...
they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD
dem gurls need some boobz! -Engloid

dvst8r

• Certified OG
  • Unobtainium
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »

If I stick weld it wont all the slag break off inside the trans and rear end  :?:

I stick welded both my front and rear diffs. cleaned them up as best as I could, added gear oil, good to go.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »

Since it's the middle diff, the only way you will pretzel anything is by running seriously different tire OD's front to rear or launch with the front on gravel.

Now that just assumes this entire thread isn't a troll post, as that pirate pic is getting old...
This is going to be a RWD only setup  ;)

caged

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »

I hope you are going to carry spare axles in the boot :yes:.
11.6@126mph 1993 mitsubishi GSR.

Blacksi

• Global Moderator
  • Certified OG
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 12:14:13 AM »

I just hope I can weld the center good enouf  :-\

[/quote]

wonder if you could drill and pin the outter drum to the inner plate?

patsmx5

• Certified OG
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »

Heat the thing up and pour molten lead in it to lock the gears together. Will lock it without altering the metalurgical properties of the diff, thus not weaking it, and is also reversible.
Quote: Originally Posted by Adam Hopkins
There is no such thing as too much boost. You could have too little rod, piston, or sleeve. But never too much boost.

88dx

• Certified OG
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:44:35 AM »

I could drill/pin the center, I kinda thought about that but just drilling holes in the outer and welding it to the center.

I hope you are going to carry spare axles in the boot :yes:.
We will see, If it eats axles ill try and find a LSD rear

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 02:48:47 AM »

If its going to be rwd, I'd suggest a nearly full weld like below. I'm not sure you'd want to weld the gears to the case, since yours will have a constant load one way. A front/rear diff would only have that much stress if it was launching with one wheel on oil.

they mspainted dildoes in my mom'#039#039s hand, in a picture of her in a hospital bed. -JD

ryan89crx

• Certified OG
  • 20lbs of love!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 02:28:27 PM »

I'm not sure you'd want to weld the gears to the case, since yours will have a constant load one way.
Welding the teeth together achieves the same purpose as welding the gears to the case...except when you also weld the gears to the case, there is just that much more holding it all together.

HiProfile

• Certified OG
  • Injector Kingpin
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »

Welding them to the case would put a sheer load on the welds between the case & 2 splined gears. Not welding it to the case puts a sheer load on the big fat pin holding the other 2 gears.

I'd rather have a solid carbon steel pin holdin the power than worry if I preheated the cast housing enough so it doesn't develope & propogate a crack through it - and blow the diff apart. I guess we just see things differently. :P

trevor72

• trevwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »

i don't think you could fail unless you only put in tack welds.

i didn't pre heat mine,

Pull ring gear and any plastics before welding. 

NoPistons!

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »

That is EXACTLY how i welded both of my diffs.  One is in storage (because i have a REAL clutch type lsd now) and the other one is on an rx7 drift car somewhere in myrtle beach.  Has been running strong for about 10 months now!

Needs to be made into an "epic fail" demotivational poster.   Jesus fucking idiot.  I hope that's a sculpture and not intentional.

brine04

• Certified OG
  • B-North
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 12:52:37 AM »

That is EXACTLY how i welded both of my diffs.  One is in storage (because i have a REAL clutch type lsd now) and the other one is on an rx7 drift car somewhere in myrtle beach.  Has been running strong for about 10 months now!

Needs to be made into an "epic fail" demotivational poster.   Jesus fucking idiot.  I hope that's a sculpture and not intentional.
yeah it's an old joke from Pirate.
92GSR - mild interest
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up